Converting DV recorded w/ 12bit sound to 16bit before burn..

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for this problem I have. I am new to
DVD authoring and have limited tools. I have a Plextor external DVD
writer (PX-712UF) and a TRV27 DV camcorder using firewire for
downloading to the computer. The DVD authoring software I have is
ROXIO DVD creator 6.X Basic and it (to me) works pretty darned well.
The problem I have is a very tinny sound to the higher frequencies when
playing back from the DVD. I finally figured out that only footage
recorded @ 12bits would sound this way. Everything I taped @ 16bit
sounds fine after being burned to DVD. Is there a way to somehow
convert the audio from these tapes to 16bit before burning to DVD?
Should I try different software? A different forum, perhaps? ;^)
Thanks a bunch,

Alex

rs

You can convert it, but I doubt it will make much difference as it won't
create extra quality where none existed before.

You can get one of the sound editing programs and do some tweaking on the
file to improve it. Cakewalk, Audigy ect.

"427Cobraman" <quartermiler1320@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I hope this is the right forum for this problem I have. I am new to
> DVD authoring and have limited tools. I have a Plextor external DVD
> writer (PX-712UF) and a TRV27 DV camcorder using firewire for
> downloading to the computer. The DVD authoring software I have is
> ROXIO DVD creator 6.X Basic and it (to me) works pretty darned well.
> The problem I have is a very tinny sound to the higher frequencies when
> playing back from the DVD. I finally figured out that only footage
> recorded @ 12bits would sound this way. Everything I taped @ 16bit
> sounds fine after being burned to DVD. Is there a way to somehow
> convert the audio from these tapes to 16bit before burning to DVD?
> Should I try different software? A different forum, perhaps? ;^)
> Thanks a bunch,
>
> Alex

"427Cobraman" wrote ...
> The problem I have is a very tinny sound to the higher
> frequencies when playing back from the DVD. I finally
> figured out that only footage recorded @ 12bits would
> sound this way. Everything I taped @ 16bit sounds fine
> after being burned to DVD. Is there a way to somehow
> convert the audio from these tapes to 16bit before burning
> to DVD?

Have you listened to the 12-bit audio tracks directly off
the tape? Why do you think it was burning to DVD that
caused the effect? I'd bet that the DVD step has nothing
to do with it. 12-bit sound is inherently and audibly inferior.

> Should I try different software? A different forum, perhaps? ;^)

Likely the only thing that will prevent the effect is to avoid
any future sound recording in 12-bit resolution.

> Have you listened to the 12-bit audio tracks directly off
> the tape? Why do you think it was burning to DVD that
> caused the effect? I'd bet that the DVD step has nothing
> to do with it. 12-bit sound is inherently and audibly inferior.

When I listen to the captured video before the burn, I can't discern
the tinny sound. It not until after the DVD is created I can hear it.

>> Have you listened to the 12-bit audio tracks directly off
>> the tape? Why do you think it was burning to DVD that
>> caused the effect? I'd bet that the DVD step has nothing
>> to do with it. 12-bit sound is inherently and audibly inferior.
>>

> When I listen to the captured video before the burn, I can't discern
> the tinny sound. It not until after the DVD is created I can hear it.

Then maybe you need a better conversion method for 12-bit
to 16-bit. OTOH, it could be the rate conversion (32K vs. 48K)
that is causing the artifacts. You could try exporting the 12-bit
audio and upsampling it in a specialty audio application that
would take better care of it.

I would never shoot 12-bit just for this reason. Can't think of
any reason to use this "feature" except somebody accidently
hitting the wrong switch.

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in

> "427Cobraman" <quartermiler1320@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Have you listened to the 12-bit audio tracks directly off
>>> the tape? Why do you think it was burning to DVD that
>>> caused the effect? I'd bet that the DVD step has nothing
>>> to do with it. 12-bit sound is inherently and audibly inferior.
>>>

>> When I listen to the captured video before the burn, I can't
>> discern the tinny sound. It not until after the DVD is created I
>> can hear it.
>
> Then maybe you need a better conversion method for 12-bit
> to 16-bit. OTOH, it could be the rate conversion (32K vs. 48K)
> that is causing the artifacts. You could try exporting the 12-bit
> audio and upsampling it in a specialty audio application that
> would take better care of it.
>
> I would never shoot 12-bit just for this reason. Can't think of
> any reason to use this "feature" except somebody accidently
> hitting the wrong switch.

Well, 12-bit allows for later adding a second audio track to the
tape.

OTOH, I don't actually think that's a reason to shoot 12-bit audio
:)

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote ...

> Well, 12-bit allows for later adding a second audio track to the
> tape.

Do you have any equipment that supports that? Have you ever done
that? I have yet to hear anyone answer yes to either of those questions.

> OTOH, I don't actually think that's a reason to shoot 12-bit audio

You have proved that the disadvantages overwhelmingly outweigh
whatever percieved advantages the format has.

Well, it was set to 12 bit by default and I noticed this while playing
around with the different menus one day. Unfortunately, there was
quite a few hours of footage filmed before discovering this. :( Is
there software that will strip the audio from captured AVI's? I might
just try to capture audio only to see if I can do anything with it.

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote ...
>
>> Well, 12-bit allows for later adding a second audio track to the
>> tape.
>
> Do you have any equipment that supports that? Have you ever done
> that? I have yet to hear anyone answer yes to either of those
> questions.

I have equipment that supports that. I have never done that.

>> OTOH, I don't actually think that's a reason to shoot 12-bit
>> audio
>
> You have proved that the disadvantages overwhelmingly outweigh
> whatever percieved advantages the format has.

I have proved nothing.

G.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

"Gene E. Bloch" wrote ...
> "Richard Crowley" wrote :
>
>> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote ...
>>
>>> Well, 12-bit allows for later adding a second audio track to the
>>> tape.
>>
>> Do you have any equipment that supports that? Have you ever done
>> that? I have yet to hear anyone answer yes to either of those
>> questions.
>>

> I have equipment that supports that.

You have equipment that lets you go back and add two audio
tracks to a recorded tape? Or it lets you record all four
channels simultaneously?

You have equipment that plays all four tracks concurrently?

Ironically high-end pro equipment supports the 4-channel
functionality. Alas, the very audience that is least likely to
use it. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea when they were
inventing the format.

> I have never done that.

Has anybody?

>> You have proved that the disadvantages overwhelmingly outweigh
>> whatever percieved advantages the format has.
>>

> I have proved nothing.

Would you care to explain your position? Or is this just a
drive-by argument?

> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote ...
>> "Richard Crowley" wrote :
>>
>>> "Gene E. Bloch" wrote ...

>>> Do you have any equipment that supports that? Have you ever
>>> done that? I have yet to hear anyone answer yes to either of
>>> those questions.
>>>

>> I have equipment that supports that.
>
> You have equipment that lets you go back and add two audio
> tracks to a recorded tape? Or it lets you record all four
> channels simultaneously?

Yes to adding a second set of tracks. AFIK, no to recording four at
once.

> You have equipment that plays all four tracks concurrently?

Yes. I can also, on playback, change the audio mix between pair 1
and pair 2 from 0-100 up to 100-0.

See pages 73-76 of the Sony TRV-20 manual for all of the claims I
have made above.

> Ironically high-end pro equipment supports the 4-channel
> functionality. Alas, the very audience that is least likely to
> use it. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea when they were
> inventing the format.
>
>> I have never done that.
>
> Has anybody?

I haven't investigated. I certainly haven't done it - or wanted to.

>>> You have proved that the disadvantages overwhelmingly outweigh
>>> whatever percieved advantages the format has.
>>>

>> I have proved nothing.
>
> Would you care to explain your position? Or is this just a
> drive-by argument?

I haven't made any claims, nor have I provided any arguments, on the
subjects of advantages or disadvantages. All I said was that one can
dub extra tracks to MiniDV tape recorded using 12-bit audio, a fact
which I can substantiate. Given that, how could I have "proved that
the disadvantages overwhelmingly outweigh whatever perceived
advantages the format has", to quote you?

Gino