john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Any recommend reasonable multi function unit around the £100 - £150 mark?
Looking at the HP PSC 2355, seems to be ok. The only thing was ink and
relative costs of different brands. Also do these sorts of printers
generally have to leave a boarder on prints?

John

Check at the manufacturer's website but I believe the Canon all in ones will
print borderless. Try to avoid Lexmark! Please!
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"John" <me@home.cmo> wrote in message

> Any recommend reasonable multi function unit around the £100 - £150 mark?
> Looking at the HP PSC 2355, seems to be ok. The only thing was ink and
> relative costs of different brands. Also do these sorts of printers
> generally have to leave a boarder on prints?
>
> John

Marvin

Distinguished
May 2, 2004

John wrote:
> Any recommend reasonable multi function unit around the £100 - £150 mark?
> Looking at the HP PSC 2355, seems to be ok. The only thing was ink and
> relative costs of different brands. Also do these sorts of printers
> generally have to leave a boarder on prints?
>
> John

I recently bought an HP OfficeJet 4214x1 all-in-one, which combines printer, fax, and
sheet scanner/copier. It cost US$90 at Costco, and it works quite well. Excellent photo
prints, borderless if you like.

I don't know what it costs in the UK, where everything seems to cost twice what it does
across the Atlantic. Perhaps that should be made an issue in your forthcoming election.

You don't have to be a Brain Surgeon to figure out the reason for the
price disparity
is because of the difference in the value of the "Pound" & the "Dollar"
Don't know what you can do about it in the next election...
Stay away from the HP if for no other reason than the Ink cost.
HP ink prices are highway robbery...

Yoonome wrote:
> You don't have to be a Brain Surgeon to figure out the reason for the
> price disparity
> is because of the difference in the value of the "Pound" & the "Dollar"
> Don't know what you can do about it in the next election...
> Stay away from the HP if for no other reason than the Ink cost.
> HP ink prices are highway robbery...

Yes, HP ink prices are high. But the printers themselves are good
all-around performers that aren't limited to Windows and MacOS, and
where I live HP supplies are more readily available than other brands.

I use an HP PSC2610 under both Windows XP and Linux, and it performs all
four functions (printer, flatbed scanner, copier, fax) well regardless
of which OS I'm booted into. Print quality (using the tricolor
photo-ink cartridge along with the standard tricolor cartridge) is more
than adequate for all but the most demanding users, and scanning quality
is adequate. For those who run home or small-office LANs, the 2610
incorporates wired Ethernet (it can also connect via USB). The built-in
memory card reader is nice, but not essential since such devices are
fairly inexpensive. Sorry, it doesn't do borderless printing AFAIK.

I chose HP because all my previous HP printers have given excellent
service over long periods. I chose the PSC2610 because space
considerations dictated an all-in-one and this model offered what I
considered the best bang for the buck; it's even more attractive now
that HP has cut (in the U.S. at least) $50 off the pricetag. It may be
true than no AIO device can perform all its functions as well as
separate units, but the overall quality is so high these days that AIOs
are "good enough" for a lot of us.

--
Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

HP, like the rest, have cut $50 off the ink cartridges included in the
package.

"BucketButt" <bucketbutt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Yoonome wrote:
> > You don't have to be a Brain Surgeon to figure out the reason for
the
> > price disparity
> > is because of the difference in the value of the "Pound" & the
"Dollar"
> > Don't know what you can do about it in the next election...
> > Stay away from the HP if for no other reason than the Ink cost.
> > HP ink prices are highway robbery...
>
> Yes, HP ink prices are high. But the printers themselves are good
> all-around performers that aren't limited to Windows and MacOS, and
> where I live HP supplies are more readily available than other brands.
>
> I use an HP PSC2610 under both Windows XP and Linux, and it performs all
> four functions (printer, flatbed scanner, copier, fax) well regardless
> of which OS I'm booted into. Print quality (using the tricolor
> photo-ink cartridge along with the standard tricolor cartridge) is more
> than adequate for all but the most demanding users, and scanning quality
> is adequate. For those who run home or small-office LANs, the 2610
> incorporates wired Ethernet (it can also connect via USB). The built-in
> memory card reader is nice, but not essential since such devices are
> fairly inexpensive. Sorry, it doesn't do borderless printing AFAIK.
>
> I chose HP because all my previous HP printers have given excellent
> service over long periods. I chose the PSC2610 because space
> considerations dictated an all-in-one and this model offered what I
> considered the best bang for the buck; it's even more attractive now
> that HP has cut (in the U.S. at least) $50 off the pricetag. It may be
> true than no AIO device can perform all its functions as well as
> separate units, but the overall quality is so high these days that AIOs
> are "good enough" for a lot of us.
>
> --
> Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
> Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

That may very well be true, but I have read where HP is manipulating
people and sales
by changing a number on a given ink tank and putting less ink in it...
There's no doubt that this ink thing is the greatest scam of all times.
Not only with HP but all of the makers. I read where the price of ink
is somewhere in the $7000.00 a gallon category.
That means you have to do all you can to beat them.
Another point with HP, apparently if you are into refilling your own
tanks,
then beware because I read that the colour ID on at least some of their
tanks is incorrect,
and you certainly can't tell by looking at it.
With Canon, the tanks are clear and individual, so you can see clearly
what you are getting. Pricewise there is no comparison.
They are also a lot easier to refill yourself.
I have been doing this for some time now, and have saved a lot on my ink
buying.

"John P@ Bengi" <JBengi(spam)@(spam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
> HP, like the rest, have cut $50 off the ink cartridges included in the
> package.
>
> "BucketButt" <bucketbutt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Yoonome wrote:
>> > You don't have to be a Brain Surgeon to figure out the reason for
> the
>> > price disparity
>> > is because of the difference in the value of the "Pound" & the
> "Dollar"
>> > Don't know what you can do about it in the next election...
>> > Stay away from the HP if for no other reason than the Ink cost.
>> > HP ink prices are highway robbery...
>>
>> Yes, HP ink prices are high. But the printers themselves are good
>> all-around performers that aren't limited to Windows and MacOS, and
>> where I live HP supplies are more readily available than other brands.
>>
>> I use an HP PSC2610 under both Windows XP and Linux, and it performs all
>> four functions (printer, flatbed scanner, copier, fax) well regardless
>> of which OS I'm booted into. Print quality (using the tricolor
>> photo-ink cartridge along with the standard tricolor cartridge) is more
>> than adequate for all but the most demanding users, and scanning quality
>> is adequate. For those who run home or small-office LANs, the 2610
>> incorporates wired Ethernet (it can also connect via USB). The built-in
>> memory card reader is nice, but not essential since such devices are
>> fairly inexpensive. Sorry, it doesn't do borderless printing AFAIK.
>>
>> I chose HP because all my previous HP printers have given excellent
>> service over long periods. I chose the PSC2610 because space
>> considerations dictated an all-in-one and this model offered what I
>> considered the best bang for the buck; it's even more attractive now
>> that HP has cut (in the U.S. at least) $50 off the pricetag. It may be
>> true than no AIO device can perform all its functions as well as
>> separate units, but the overall quality is so high these days that AIOs
>> are "good enough" for a lot of us.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
>> Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

For HP inkjet printers:
If you only paid for the ink, bulk ink is around $1.35 USD per ounce if
bought in a 32 oz bottle of black ink. A 45 cart is 42 ml or about 1.4 oz
per refill or about $1.89 per refill.

For the 23 cart, Color ink is about $1.25 USD per ounce per color if bought
in 8 oz bottles.
A 23 cart is 10 ml per color so about 1/3 oz per color or $0.42 per color
times 3 colors = $1.26 per refill.

For the 78 cart, Color ink is about $1.50 USD per ounce per color if bought
in 8 oz bottles.
The large 78 cart is 38 ml total, or about 12.5 ml per color. Or less than
1/2 oz per color, so about $0.75 per color times 3 colors = $2.25 per
refill.

If you have the 45 and 23 carts.
http://inkjetsaver.com/45_23.html

If you have the 45 and 78 carts.
http://inkjetsaver.com/45_78.html

Refilling is a messy job, but you can save some money, You can get at least
3 refills of a color cartridge, and many refills of the Black cartridge.
You do not even have to refill your own cartridges, the above company will
do it for you.

With the HP cartridges you also get a new print head each time you put in a
new cartridge.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Yoonome" <Yoonome@Yoonowhere.com> wrote in message
> That may very well be true, but I have read where HP is manipulating
> people and sales
> by changing a number on a given ink tank and putting less ink in it...
> There's no doubt that this ink thing is the greatest scam of all times.
> Not only with HP but all of the makers. I read where the price of ink
> is somewhere in the $7000.00 a gallon category.
> That means you have to do all you can to beat them.
> Another point with HP, apparently if you are into refilling your own
> tanks,
> then beware because I read that the colour ID on at least some of their
> tanks is incorrect,
> and you certainly can't tell by looking at it.
> With Canon, the tanks are clear and individual, so you can see clearly
> what you are getting. Pricewise there is no comparison.
> They are also a lot easier to refill yourself.
> I have been doing this for some time now, and have saved a lot on my ink
> buying.
>

> "John P@ Bengi" <JBengi(spam)@(spam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
>> HP, like the rest, have cut $50 off the ink cartridges included in the
>> package.
>>
>> "BucketButt" <bucketbutt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> the
>> "Dollar"
>>>
>>> Yes, HP ink prices are high. But the printers themselves are good
>>> all-around performers that aren't limited to Windows and MacOS, and
>>> where I live HP supplies are more readily available than other brands.
>>>
>>> I use an HP PSC2610 under both Windows XP and Linux, and it performs all
>>> four functions (printer, flatbed scanner, copier, fax) well regardless
>>> of which OS I'm booted into. Print quality (using the tricolor
>>> photo-ink cartridge along with the standard tricolor cartridge) is more
>>> than adequate for all but the most demanding users, and scanning quality
>>> is adequate. For those who run home or small-office LANs, the 2610
>>> incorporates wired Ethernet (it can also connect via USB). The built-in
>>> memory card reader is nice, but not essential since such devices are
>>> fairly inexpensive. Sorry, it doesn't do borderless printing AFAIK.
>>>
>>> I chose HP because all my previous HP printers have given excellent
>>> service over long periods. I chose the PSC2610 because space
>>> considerations dictated an all-in-one and this model offered what I
>>> considered the best bang for the buck; it's even more attractive now
>>> that HP has cut (in the U.S. at least) $50 off the pricetag. It may be
>>> true than no AIO device can perform all its functions as well as
>>> separate units, but the overall quality is so high these days that AIOs
>>> are "good enough" for a lot of us.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
>>> Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

I'm not talking about individual ink tanks here. When I quoted that
price per/gallon,
I was referring to the big picture which included all ink tanks bought
new.
I got that info. from a website offering bulk ink and refill services.
As for Refilling being messy, wear latex gloves. It doesn't have to be.
After you get used to it, it's quite simple.
I've been doing mine now for some time and wouldn't have it any other
way.
I do realize though, that it's not for everyone, but considering the
prices out there
for OEM tanks, something has to be done.
Take for example where I live, A Canon tank for my Printer is about
$20.00
I can now buy a generic tank for half of that...and I don't see much
difference in the printing...