more problems with xp pro sp2 and allowing ftp/web connect..

September 3, 2004 2:47:14 AM

OK, I have been able to get some assistance and now have IIS up and running.
If I am behind my router, on another computer, I can log into the ftp server
and access the web server. But, if I try to access it outside of my LAN,
then I get the "time out" error. Any ideas.

As well, anyone heard anything on how to overcome the bug when your virtual
ftp directories don't show up after a successsful log in. If I ftp with the
address including the virtual directory name, it opens and shows the
contents.

Please help,

jeremy (614) 519-3026

More about : problems pro sp2 allowing ftp web connect

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 6:14:17 PM

Can you give more details about your network configuration?
Are you able to ping the IIS server from outside the lan?

Where is Xp pro in the network topology? Is this the client from which you
are trying to access the IIS server?

--
-Pawan [MSFT]

rights."
"Jeremy Grandstaff" <jgrands1@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> OK, I have been able to get some assistance and now have IIS up and
> running.
> If I am behind my router, on another computer, I can log into the ftp
> server
> and access the web server. But, if I try to access it outside of my LAN,
> then I get the "time out" error. Any ideas.
>
> As well, anyone heard anything on how to overcome the bug when your
> virtual
> ftp directories don't show up after a successsful log in. If I ftp with
> the
> address including the virtual directory name, it opens and shows the
> contents.
>
> Please help,
>
> jeremy (614) 519-3026

Anonymous
September 3, 2004 6:14:18 PM

Hi,

OK, I am running IIS on a Windows XP SP2 computer. I have a 4-port
wired/wireless router as well as a cable modem using roadrunner. I had not
tried to ping the IIS server outside the network because I figured my router
would prevent that. I have enabled port 21 (FTP) and 80 (WEB) in the Windows
XP Firewall as exceptions. I have also enabled FtP and WEB in the router as
well. When people try to log in outside of my LAN, they are prompted for a
user login. When they login using the account I have created for them, it
authenticates them as I can see them on my FTP Sessions Window. But, then
their web client, it says searching for folder contents, and then says that
the contents of the folder cannot be displayed "The request timed out".

I have created you a test account if you want to try:

Username: test1

password: test1234

ftp://69.133.75.179/media

If you'd like, you can reach me via phone at 614-519-3026 or via aol IM at
jeremy426. Any help you can give me is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

"Pawan Agarwal (MSFT)" <pawana@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o $BM4IZkEHA.3104@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Can you give more details about your network configuration?
> Are you able to ping the IIS server from outside the lan?
>
> Where is Xp pro in the network topology? Is this the client from which you
> are trying to access the IIS server?
>
> --
> -Pawan [MSFT]

> "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights."
> "Jeremy Grandstaff" <jgrands1@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> > OK, I have been able to get some assistance and now have IIS up and
> > running.
> > If I am behind my router, on another computer, I can log into the ftp
> > server
> > and access the web server. But, if I try to access it outside of my
LAN,
> > then I get the "time out" error. Any ideas.
> >
> > As well, anyone heard anything on how to overcome the bug when your
> > virtual
> > ftp directories don't show up after a successsful log in. If I ftp with
> > the
> > address including the virtual directory name, it opens and shows the
> > contents.
> >
> > Please help,
> >
> > jeremy (614) 519-3026

Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:31:36 AM

You have to open port 20 if you are using active FTP.
If you are using active FTP then It seems like PORT command of ftp is not
working for you. This usually happens whenW
intermediate firewall/NAT does not support it.
Windows firewall supports active FTP ( just ensure that application gateway
service is running). As you said earlier you were able to access and browse
ftp site from same lan as IIS server. This means that windows firewall is
working fine. Is there any more intermediate NAT/firewall which could be
blocking this.
Look at below site for details on active/passive ftp
http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html
--

!