Hi there -
I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but KB
articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of the
same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect over
the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've never
set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will not
being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
Thanks - Scott

Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you. The article you describe is
not pertinent in your case...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also need to open TCP Port 3389
up...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:JdOdnQLU2N6rAqTcRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
> Hi there -
> I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but KB
> articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of the
> same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect over
> the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've never
> set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will not
> being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
> Thanks - Scott

Thanks for the response. We tried using Windows Messenger and I get the
invitation to provide assistance. My Mom gets a message that I have accepted
and then things seem to hang. I checked my router and opened Port 3389. She
is on a dial up and we both run XP Pro. Any other thoughts?
Thanks,

> Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you. The
article you describe is
> not pertinent in your case...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

> If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also
need to open TCP Port 3389
> up...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there -
> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
KB
> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
the
> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
over
> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
never
> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
not
> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
> > Thanks - Scott

Any error message(s) or does it timeout? The connection can be slow over some networks...

One way to speed this up is to disable the rendering of wallpaper while in a remote session...do
that on the XP Pro host via a Group Policy...On the host, run 'gpedit.msc' from the command line and
look at "Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal
Services" for the policy to "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper"....

--

"Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:yb6dnR7ELYSkxafcRVn-og@comcast.com...
> Thanks for the response. We tried using Windows Messenger and I get the
> invitation to provide assistance. My Mom gets a message that I have accepted
> and then things seem to hang. I checked my router and opened Port 3389. She
> is on a dial up and we both run XP Pro. Any other thoughts?
> Thanks,
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you. The
> article you describe is
>> not pertinent in your case...
>>

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx
>>
>> If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also
> need to open TCP Port 3389
>> up...
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there -
>> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
> KB
>> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
> the
>> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
> over
>> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
> never
>> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
> not
>> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
>> > Thanks - Scott

We don't get an error or time out message. I went to her house today and set
up a user account for myself and credentialed myself to provide remote
access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't help.
While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC since
the DOS days and I give her credit for keeping with it. I'd like to be able
to help her out if she needs it so I appreciate your comments. Thanks again.

> Any error message(s) or does it timeout? The connection can be slow over
some networks...

> One way to speed this up is to disable the rendering of wallpaper while in
a remote session...do
> that on the XP Pro host via a Group Policy...On the host, run 'gpedit.msc'
from the command line and
> look at "Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
Components -> Terminal
> Services" for the policy to "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop
Wallpaper"....

> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the response. We tried using Windows Messenger and I get the
> > invitation to provide assistance. My Mom gets a message that I have
accepted
> > and then things seem to hang. I checked my router and opened Port 3389.
She
> > is on a dial up and we both run XP Pro. Any other thoughts?
> > Thanks,
> >
> > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >> Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you.
The
> > article you describe is
> >> not pertinent in your case...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

> >> If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also
> > need to open TCP Port 3389
> >> up...
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual
> > benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > rights...
> >>
> >> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > KB
> > the
> > over
> > never
Will
> > not

From what I have read about your earlier posts - it sounds as if you
are confusing "REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION" with "REMOTE ASSITANCE".

Remote desktop connection is a more permanent solution... it is very
nice and convenient for you to connect to a machine that has REMOTE
DESKTOP SETUP provided you know the IP address or have a DNS name to
connect to. However, on dialup, you would need her to give you her IP
address each time...and then when you connect, she gets booted to her
logon screen and cannot see anything you are doing or has no way of
knowing if you are done (unless she has another phone line or you
initiate a disconnect so you can call her and tell her you are done).

REMOTE ASSISTANCE is the button you click on from MSN or WINDOWS
messenger...she would tell her messenger to ask you for
assistance...then you would accept and connect... however, even on
cable modem this has proven to be slower than REMOTE DESKTOP in most
cases...

one thing I have seen when using REMOTE ASSISTANCE is that if she has
a popup blocker on her PC it could be disconnecting you by not
displaying all of the dialog boxes to her that she needs to be able to
accept.

But if she is on dialup, I'd say you would both be much happier just
trying to walk her thru it over the phone or go there
yourself...(after all, mothers love it when we come and visit hehe).

I have used various REMOTE CONTROL methods for years and I absolutely
refuse to do any over dialup anymore...its just too unbearable...but
if you MUST chose one method, I would suggest using REMOTE ASSITANCE
from the messenger and that way she can see what you do - perhaps
learn something herself...and you can initiate chat and talk with her
while you do things... but as for it freezing, I'd say give it another
hour or two and you may see the screen refresh...that sounds normal
for connecting to anyone on dialup that I've ever seen :)

My mom is getting up in her years and I just have to go fix hers
manually because she lives in a location between cable zones and they
cannot even get cable tv (she uses a satelite) and DSL is not
available yet due to out-dated phone lines. And she could pay $600
and then $100 a month to get high speed internet thru her satellite
hehe...but who wants to do that. Your best bet is to tell your mother
its worth her while to get high speed internet and then you would all
be happier hehe...

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> credentialed myself to provide remote
>access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
>password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't help.
>While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
>machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC since
>the DOS days and I give

Thanks for the reply. I am shocked to think that it would take one to two
hours to refresh with RA That's not going to work out. I tried Remote
desktop just to see if I could connect and it was usable. I surprised there
is such a difference in performance. Thanks again.
Scott

"Information Scavenger" <likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> cannot even get cable tv (she uses a satelite) and DSL is not
> available yet due to out-dated phone lines. And she could pay $600
> and then $100 a month to get high speed internet thru her satellite
> hehe...but who wants to do that. Your best bet is to tell your mother
> its worth her while to get high speed internet and then you would all
> be happier hehe...
>

> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > credentialed myself to provide remote
> >access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
> >password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't help.
> >While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
> >machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC

I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the firewall
actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
something.

Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if she
is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port forwarding
would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.

Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?

"Freebie" wrote:

> Hi there -
> I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but KB
> articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of the
> same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect over
> the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've never
> set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will not
> being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
> Thanks - Scott

Keep testing. I haven't used RA extensively, but they are layered on the
same underpinnings, and I too am surprised at what you found to be a
significant difference in performance--I don't think it should be
dramatically different.

> [...]
>> cannot even get cable tv (she uses a satelite) and DSL is not
>> available yet due to out-dated phone lines. And she could pay $600
>> and then $100 a month to get high speed internet thru her satellite
>> hehe...but who wants to do that. Your best bet is to tell your mother
>> its worth her while to get high speed internet and then you would all
>> be happier hehe...
>>

>> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > credentialed myself to provide remote
>> >access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
>> >password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't
>> >help.
>> >While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
>> >machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC

Did you disable wallpaper rendering on your Mom's PC? That should help...

--

"Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:TZidnVeEoP_PU6DcRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> Thanks for the reply. I am shocked to think that it would take one to two
> hours to refresh with RA That's not going to work out. I tried Remote
> desktop just to see if I could connect and it was usable. I surprised there
> is such a difference in performance. Thanks again.
> Scott

I do not believe she is behind a firewall. She is the one with a dial up
connection and also is the one to initiate RA request. I am behind a
hardware firewall / router and have port 3389 opened. Thanks for the imput.
Scott

"Dennis Aston" <Dennis Aston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
> Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
> combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the
firewall
> actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
> something.
>
> Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
> address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if
she
> is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port
forwarding
> would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.
>
> Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?
>
> "Freebie" wrote:
>
> > Hi there -
> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
KB
> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
the
> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
over
> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
never
> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
not
> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
> > Thanks - Scott

She really needs to be behind a firewall (hardware or software) and upgrade to SP2...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_introtosp2.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;windowsxpsp2

--

"Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a-ydnSQb3t8PkaLcRVn-hw@comcast.com...
>I do not believe she is behind a firewall. She is the one with a dial up
> connection and also is the one to initiate RA request. I am behind a
> hardware firewall / router and have port 3389 opened. Thanks for the imput.
> Scott
>
> "Dennis Aston" <Dennis Aston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
>> Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
>> combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the
> firewall
>> actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
>> something.
>>
>> Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
>> address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if
> she
>> is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port
> forwarding
>> would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.
>>
>> Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?
>>
>> "Freebie" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there -
>> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
> KB
>> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
> the
>> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
> over
>> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
> never
>> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
> not
>> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
>> > Thanks - Scott

Over dialup, the speed of setting up the Remote Assistance connection
can be somewhat dismal... :(

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:43:51 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I do not believe she is behind a firewall. She is the one with a dial up
>connection and also is the one to initiate RA request. I am behind a
>hardware firewall / router and have port 3389 opened. Thanks for the imput.
>Scott
>
>"Dennis Aston" <Dennis Aston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
>> Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
>> combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the
>firewall
>> actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
>> something.
>>
>> Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
>> address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if
>she
>> is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port
>forwarding
>> would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.
>>
>> Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?
>>
>> "Freebie" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there -
>> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
>KB
>> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
>the
>> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
>over
>> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
>never
>> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
>not
>> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
>> > Thanks - Scott

I haven't tried that yet. How is wallpaper rendering disabled?
Thanks!