Connect by RA

Hi there -
I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but KB
articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of the
same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect over
the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've never
set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will not
being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
Thanks - Scott
13 answers Last reply
More about connect

    Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you. The article you describe is
    not pertinent in your case...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

    If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also need to open TCP Port 3389
    up...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:JdOdnQLU2N6rAqTcRVn-qQ@comcast.com...
    > Hi there -
    > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but KB
    > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of the
    > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect over
    > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've never
    > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will not
    > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    > Thanks - Scott

    Thanks for the response. We tried using Windows Messenger and I get the
    invitation to provide assistance. My Mom gets a message that I have accepted
    and then things seem to hang. I checked my router and opened Port 3389. She
    is on a dial up and we both run XP Pro. Any other thoughts?
    Thanks,

    > Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you. The
    article you describe is
    > not pertinent in your case...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

    > If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also
    need to open TCP Port 3389
    > up...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there -
    > > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
    KB
    > > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
    the
    > > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
    over
    > > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
    never
    > > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
    not
    > > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    > > Thanks - Scott

    Any error message(s) or does it timeout? The connection can be slow over some networks...

    One way to speed this up is to disable the rendering of wallpaper while in a remote session...do
    that on the XP Pro host via a Group Policy...On the host, run 'gpedit.msc' from the command line and
    look at "Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal
    Services" for the policy to "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop Wallpaper"....

    --

    "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:yb6dnR7ELYSkxafcRVn-og@comcast.com...
    > Thanks for the response. We tried using Windows Messenger and I get the
    > invitation to provide assistance. My Mom gets a message that I have accepted
    > and then things seem to hang. I checked my router and opened Port 3389. She
    > is on a dial up and we both run XP Pro. Any other thoughts?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you. The
    > article you describe is
    >> not pertinent in your case...
    >>

    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx
    >>
    >> If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also
    > need to open TCP Port 3389
    >> up...
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
    >>
    >> --
    >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > benefit of all of us...
    > rights...
    >>
    >> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi there -
    >> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
    > KB
    >> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
    > the
    >> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
    > over
    >> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
    > never
    >> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
    > not
    >> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    >> > Thanks - Scott

    We don't get an error or time out message. I went to her house today and set
    up a user account for myself and credentialed myself to provide remote
    access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
    password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't help.
    While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
    machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC since
    the DOS days and I give her credit for keeping with it. I'd like to be able
    to help her out if she needs it so I appreciate your comments. Thanks again.

    > Any error message(s) or does it timeout? The connection can be slow over
    some networks...

    > One way to speed this up is to disable the rendering of wallpaper while in
    a remote session...do
    > that on the XP Pro host via a Group Policy...On the host, run 'gpedit.msc'
    from the command line and
    > look at "Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Windows
    Components -> Terminal
    > Services" for the policy to "Enforce Removal of Remote Desktop
    Wallpaper"....

    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the response. We tried using Windows Messenger and I get the
    > > invitation to provide assistance. My Mom gets a message that I have
    accepted
    > > and then things seem to hang. I checked my router and opened Port 3389.
    She
    > > is on a dial up and we both run XP Pro. Any other thoughts?
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
    > >> Using the Messenger invitation method is probably the easiest for you.
    The
    > > article you describe is
    > >> not pertinent in your case...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/remoteassist/intro.mspx

    > >> If one or both of you is behind a firewall/NAT/router then you may also
    > > need to open TCP Port 3389
    > >> up...
    > >>
    > >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q301529
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
    > >>
    > >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
    mutual
    > > benefit of all of us...
    > >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > > rights...
    > >>
    > >> "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > KB
    > > the
    > > over
    > > never
    Will
    > > not

    From what I have read about your earlier posts - it sounds as if you
    are confusing "REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION" with "REMOTE ASSITANCE".

    Remote desktop connection is a more permanent solution... it is very
    nice and convenient for you to connect to a machine that has REMOTE
    DESKTOP SETUP provided you know the IP address or have a DNS name to
    connect to. However, on dialup, you would need her to give you her IP
    address each time...and then when you connect, she gets booted to her
    logon screen and cannot see anything you are doing or has no way of
    knowing if you are done (unless she has another phone line or you
    initiate a disconnect so you can call her and tell her you are done).

    REMOTE ASSISTANCE is the button you click on from MSN or WINDOWS
    messenger...she would tell her messenger to ask you for
    assistance...then you would accept and connect... however, even on
    cable modem this has proven to be slower than REMOTE DESKTOP in most
    cases...

    one thing I have seen when using REMOTE ASSISTANCE is that if she has
    a popup blocker on her PC it could be disconnecting you by not
    displaying all of the dialog boxes to her that she needs to be able to
    accept.

    But if she is on dialup, I'd say you would both be much happier just
    trying to walk her thru it over the phone or go there
    yourself...(after all, mothers love it when we come and visit hehe).

    I have used various REMOTE CONTROL methods for years and I absolutely
    refuse to do any over dialup anymore...its just too unbearable...but
    if you MUST chose one method, I would suggest using REMOTE ASSITANCE
    from the messenger and that way she can see what you do - perhaps
    learn something herself...and you can initiate chat and talk with her
    while you do things... but as for it freezing, I'd say give it another
    hour or two and you may see the screen refresh...that sounds normal
    for connecting to anyone on dialup that I've ever seen :)

    My mom is getting up in her years and I just have to go fix hers
    manually because she lives in a location between cable zones and they
    cannot even get cable tv (she uses a satelite) and DSL is not
    available yet due to out-dated phone lines. And she could pay $600
    and then $100 a month to get high speed internet thru her satellite
    hehe...but who wants to do that. Your best bet is to tell your mother
    its worth her while to get high speed internet and then you would all
    be happier hehe...

    On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    > credentialed myself to provide remote
    >access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
    >password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't help.
    >While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
    >machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC since
    >the DOS days and I give

    Thanks for the reply. I am shocked to think that it would take one to two
    hours to refresh with RA That's not going to work out. I tried Remote
    desktop just to see if I could connect and it was usable. I surprised there
    is such a difference in performance. Thanks again.
    Scott

    "Information Scavenger" <likeIwantspam@no-way.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > cannot even get cable tv (she uses a satelite) and DSL is not
    > available yet due to out-dated phone lines. And she could pay $600
    > and then $100 a month to get high speed internet thru her satellite
    > hehe...but who wants to do that. Your best bet is to tell your mother
    > its worth her while to get high speed internet and then you would all
    > be happier hehe...
    >

    > On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > credentialed myself to provide remote
    > >access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
    > >password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't help.
    > >While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
    > >machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC

    I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
    Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
    combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the firewall
    actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
    something.

    Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
    address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if she
    is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port forwarding
    would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.

    Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?

    "Freebie" wrote:

    > Hi there -
    > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but KB
    > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of the
    > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect over
    > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've never
    > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will not
    > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    > Thanks - Scott

    Keep testing. I haven't used RA extensively, but they are layered on the
    same underpinnings, and I too am surprised at what you found to be a
    significant difference in performance--I don't think it should be
    dramatically different.

> [...]
    >> cannot even get cable tv (she uses a satelite) and DSL is not
    >> available yet due to out-dated phone lines. And she could pay $600
    >> and then $100 a month to get high speed internet thru her satellite
    >> hehe...but who wants to do that. Your best bet is to tell your mother
    >> its worth her while to get high speed internet and then you would all
    >> be happier hehe...
    >>

    >> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 09:09:10 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> > credentialed myself to provide remote
    >> >access. I also created passwords for her account and mine, and created a
    >> >password on my machine where I am the only user. So far this hasn't
    >> >help.
    >> >While I was at her machine I was able to use Remote Desktop to access my
    >> >machine. The woman is more than 80 years old. She has been using a PC

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Did you disable wallpaper rendering on your Mom's PC? That should help...

    --

    "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:TZidnVeEoP_PU6DcRVn-hg@comcast.com...
    > Thanks for the reply. I am shocked to think that it would take one to two
    > hours to refresh with RA That's not going to work out. I tried Remote
    > desktop just to see if I could connect and it was usable. I surprised there
    > is such a difference in performance. Thanks again.
    > Scott

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I do not believe she is behind a firewall. She is the one with a dial up
    connection and also is the one to initiate RA request. I am behind a
    hardware firewall / router and have port 3389 opened. Thanks for the imput.
    Scott

    "Dennis Aston" <Dennis Aston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
    > Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
    > combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the
    firewall
    > actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
    > something.
    >
    > Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
    > address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if
    she
    > is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port
    forwarding
    > would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.
    >
    > Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?
    >
    > "Freebie" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there -
    > > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
    KB
    > > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
    the
    > > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
    over
    > > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
    never
    > > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
    not
    > > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    > > Thanks - Scott

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    She really needs to be behind a firewall (hardware or software) and upgrade to SP2...

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_introtosp2.mspx

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;windowsxpsp2

    --

    "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:a-ydnSQb3t8PkaLcRVn-hw@comcast.com...
    >I do not believe she is behind a firewall. She is the one with a dial up
    > connection and also is the one to initiate RA request. I am behind a
    > hardware firewall / router and have port 3389 opened. Thanks for the imput.
    > Scott
    >
    > "Dennis Aston" <Dennis Aston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
    >> Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
    >> combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the
    > firewall
    >> actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
    >> something.
    >>
    >> Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
    >> address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if
    > she
    >> is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port
    > forwarding
    >> would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.
    >>
    >> Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?
    >>
    >> "Freebie" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi there -
    >> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
    > KB
    >> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
    > the
    >> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
    > over
    >> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
    > never
    >> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
    > not
    >> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    >> > Thanks - Scott

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Over dialup, the speed of setting up the Remote Assistance connection
    can be somewhat dismal... :(

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 09:43:51 -0400, "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I do not believe she is behind a firewall. She is the one with a dial up
    >connection and also is the one to initiate RA request. I am behind a
    >hardware firewall / router and have port 3389 opened. Thanks for the imput.
    >Scott
    >
    >"Dennis Aston" <Dennis Aston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> I believe your "hang" problem is due to NAT (Network Address Translation).
    >> Thats a fancy word that means when she is behind a home router or firewall
    >> combo, she can be on a private network of, say, 10.10.10.0, and the
    >firewall
    >> actually has an ip address given to it by her ISP of 67.119.82.30 or
    >> something.
    >>
    >> Make sure you have port 3389 open in her firewall and pointing it to an ip
    >> address that she will continue to have internally. I say this because if
    >she
    >> is using DHCP her address could possibly change and then the port
    >forwarding
    >> would be useless. Set up static IP addresses.
    >>
    >> Who is initiating the remote assistance session? She or you?
    >>
    >> "Freebie" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi there -
    >> > I would like to help my mom with Remote Assistance. We both have XP but
    >KB
    >> > articale # Q308013 indicates "The novice and expert users are members of
    >the
    >> > same domain, or are members of trusting domains." We would only connect
    >over
    >> > the internet and are not on a domain that I know of. Actually, I've
    >never
    >> > set up a domain and wonder if this is keeping us from connecting. Will
    >not
    >> > being on the same domain keep us from connecting?
    >> > Thanks - Scott

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I haven't tried that yet. How is wallpaper rendering disabled?
    Thanks!

    > Did you disable wallpaper rendering on your Mom's PC? That should help...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Freebie" <SBFreemanAT@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the reply. I am shocked to think that it would take one to
    two
    > > hours to refresh with RA That's not going to work out. I tried Remote
    > > desktop just to see if I could connect and it was usable. I surprised
    there
    > > is such a difference in performance. Thanks again.
    > > Scott

Domain Connection Windows XP