Sign in with
Your question

How to connect a flopy drive to sata

Last response: in Windows 7
January 4, 2011 10:42:43 PM

The power supply is kids stuff but how to splice the old floppy data ribbon to sata is proving a problem, as with comments in the forum notes regarding previous comments about someone claiming to have a sata floppy, I didn't believe they actually existed, if they do it would certainly solve my problem.....at the moment I'm having to spend hours copying onto a USB flash drive to get access to very old files.
Thanks in advance for any help.
a b $ Windows 7
January 5, 2011 6:50:43 PM

Will a usb floppy drive not do the job for you? The time saved might be worth the cost of buying one as they are not too expensive
a c 209 $ Windows 7
January 6, 2011 4:17:50 AM

I've never heard of a SATA floppy drive. There's certainly no way to connect a conventional floppy drive with the 40-pin connector to a SATA port.

Floppies are slow no matter how they're connected because they physically spin at only 300 RPM (5 rotations per second). This gives them a data transfer rate of about 0.05 MByte/sec (actually 46,080 bytes/sec) for a standard 1.44MB disc. Even if you could come up with a way to connect the floppy drive to a SATA port, it wouldn't be any faster than one connected via USB.
!