Setting up remote access at home.

September 4, 2004 8:45:01 PM

I just purchased a wireless router and notebook adaptor (Netgear). They talk
to each other fine for the internet but I cannot seem to get them to work
remote desktop mode. I access remote desktop connection and enter the ip
address and it brings up a screen with user name and password. I put in a
user name set up in user accounts and leave the password blank because there
is no password for the user ( which is an administrator user). I then hit
enter and get this message "unable to log you in because of a account
restriction" I have no idea what this means. Also I am using XP Prof on
both machines.
Anonymous
September 5, 2004 2:35:02 PM

You can't log in remotely with an account that has a blank password
Add a passwor to the account or create a new account with a password ans use
that.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"innonet" <innonet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just purchased a wireless router and notebook adaptor (Netgear). They
>talk
> to each other fine for the internet but I cannot seem to get them to work
> remote desktop mode. I access remote desktop connection and enter the ip
> address and it brings up a screen with user name and password. I put in a
> user name set up in user accounts and leave the password blank because
> there
> is no password for the user ( which is an administrator user). I then hit
> enter and get this message "unable to log you in because of a account
> restriction" I have no idea what this means. Also I am using XP Prof on
> both machines.
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 9:45:04 AM

Thank you, It is working now.

"Mark Dormer" wrote:

> You can't log in remotely with an account that has a blank password
> Add a passwor to the account or create a new account with a password ans use
> that.
>

> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>

> "innonet" <innonet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just purchased a wireless router and notebook adaptor (Netgear). They
> >talk
> > to each other fine for the internet but I cannot seem to get them to work
> > remote desktop mode. I access remote desktop connection and enter the ip
> > address and it brings up a screen with user name and password. I put in a
> > user name set up in user accounts and leave the password blank because
> > there
> > is no password for the user ( which is an administrator user). I then hit
> > enter and get this message "unable to log you in because of a account
> > restriction" I have no idea what this means. Also I am using XP Prof on
> > both machines.

September 16, 2004 1:17:54 AM

--
Actually, I believe you can ... I connect via Remote Desktop regularly
to another computer that has no password (as opposed to a blank

Take a look at: "Permitting Network Access Without a Password"
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...

--
HTH - Fred
Anonymous

Sure, if you want to weaken the security of your system.
I was speaking from the default point of view.

And I am never going to recommend someone setups Remote Desktop with a blank
password.
Think of the security implications, anyone else on the planet will get in in
seconds.

Regards
Mark Dormer

"FredP" <fpouy@*NOSPAM*hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mark Dormer wrote:
>> You can't log in remotely with an account that has a blank password
>> Add a passwor to the account or create a new account with a password
>> ans use that.
> --
> Actually, I believe you can ... I connect via Remote Desktop regularly to
> another computer that has no password (as opposed to a blank password).
> It requires a Security Policy change.
>
> Take a look at: "Permitting Network Access Without a Password"
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...
>
> --
> HTH - Fred

Anonymous
September 16, 2004 1:36:23 PM

Mark, you have no argument from me on the reduced security of permitting
network access without a password ... but that's why changing it from
the default is called a 'change in Security Policy'.

I'm merely pointing out (FWIW) is that there IS a way around a blanket
statement that one 'can't log in remotely' to an account without a
password. Whether to do that or not is certainly up to the account User
.... and, if he knows his way to a Security Policy change, he's
knowledgeable enough to understand the risk.
--
Regards, Fred

!