Setting up remote access at home.

I just purchased a wireless router and notebook adaptor (Netgear). They talk
to each other fine for the internet but I cannot seem to get them to work
remote desktop mode. I access remote desktop connection and enter the ip
address and it brings up a screen with user name and password. I put in a
user name set up in user accounts and leave the password blank because there
is no password for the user ( which is an administrator user). I then hit
enter and get this message "unable to log you in because of a account
restriction" I have no idea what this means. Also I am using XP Prof on
both machines.
5 answers Last reply
More about setting remote access home

    You can't log in remotely with an account that has a blank password
    Add a passwor to the account or create a new account with a password ans use
    that.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "innonet" <innonet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I just purchased a wireless router and notebook adaptor (Netgear). They
    >talk
    > to each other fine for the internet but I cannot seem to get them to work
    > remote desktop mode. I access remote desktop connection and enter the ip
    > address and it brings up a screen with user name and password. I put in a
    > user name set up in user accounts and leave the password blank because
    > there
    > is no password for the user ( which is an administrator user). I then hit
    > enter and get this message "unable to log you in because of a account
    > restriction" I have no idea what this means. Also I am using XP Prof on
    > both machines.

    Thank you, It is working now.

    --
    Actually, I believe you can ... I connect via Remote Desktop regularly
    to another computer that has no password (as opposed to a blank

    Take a look at: "Permitting Network Access Without a Password"
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/03userpasswords.htm

    --
    HTH - Fred

    Sure, if you want to weaken the security of your system.
    I was speaking from the default point of view.

    And I am never going to recommend someone setups Remote Desktop with a blank
    password.
    Think of the security implications, anyone else on the planet will get in in
    seconds.

    Regards
    Mark Dormer

    "FredP" <fpouy@*NOSPAM*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mark Dormer wrote:
    >> You can't log in remotely with an account that has a blank password
    >> Add a passwor to the account or create a new account with a password
    >> ans use that.
    > --
    > Actually, I believe you can ... I connect via Remote Desktop regularly to
    > another computer that has no password (as opposed to a blank password).
    > It requires a Security Policy change.
    >
    > Take a look at: "Permitting Network Access Without a Password"
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/03userpasswords.htm
    >
    > --
    > HTH - Fred

    Mark, you have no argument from me on the reduced security of permitting
    network access without a password ... but that's why changing it from
    the default is called a 'change in Security Policy'.

    I'm merely pointing out (FWIW) is that there IS a way around a blanket
    statement that one 'can't log in remotely' to an account without a
    password. Whether to do that or not is certainly up to the account User
    .... and, if he knows his way to a Security Policy change, he's
    knowledgeable enough to understand the risk.
    --
    Regards, Fred

    "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
    > Sure, if you want to weaken the security of your system.
    > I was speaking from the default point of view.
    >
    > And I am never going to recommend someone setups Remote Desktop with a
    > blank password.
    > Think of the security implications, anyone else on the planet will get
    > in in seconds.
    >
    > Regards
    > Mark Dormer
    >

    > "FredP" <fpouy@*NOSPAM*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Mark Dormer wrote:
    >>> You can't log in remotely with an account that has a blank password
    >>> Add a passwor to the account or create a new account with a password
    >>> ans use that.
    >> --
    >> Actually, I believe you can ... I connect via Remote Desktop
    >> regularly to another computer that has no password (as opposed to a
    >> blank password). It requires a Security Policy change.
    >>
    >> Take a look at: "Permitting Network Access Without a Password"
    >> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/03userpasswords.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >> HTH - Fred

Remote Desktop Remote Access Windows XP