Want to use Offline copies even when on network, is this p..

Most of the files that I use are stored on my desktop computer (also acting
as a file server, with RAID5). I keep an Offline copy on my laptop and take
them with me to do work. Everything works fine. When I'm away from the
network, I have nice speedy access to all my Offline files. Also, if I
connect to the network via 100BaseT Ethernet, while a little slower because
it's using the server files over the Ethernet, access is still reasonable.
However, when I'm connected to the network via Wi-Fi, which is the typical
case (like right now, I'm sitting in bed), the connection is very, very
slow. With occasional exceptions (my wife has a third computer and shares
some of these files), I'm the only one who ever changes these files, so I
don't care about being out of sync with the "real" copy on the server.

Is there a way to make Windows XP use the Offline file version of the files
and folders by default? I could still synchronize every time I bring my
laptop back to the network, but that way I would not be forced to rely on
the super-slow network access.

By the way, I don't want to disable the Wi-Fi network and force the computer
to use the Offline files that way, because I rely on the Wi-Fi connection
for Internet access. I only want to use my local copies of the Offline files
and folders, while otherwise interacting with the network normally.

Thanks for any advice,
Colin

Hmm--here's something I haven't tried, and it may be absolutely useless, but
read on:

The Windows Server 2003 resource kit contains a tool "CSCCMD.EXE" to allow
command-line interaction with the client-side cache (i.e. offline files.)

There's an argument cssccmd /disconnect

which appears to do what you'd like, as (obliquely) cited here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822888

And, of course, this article exists because there's a bug, which is fixed in
XP SP2--so you want to be running SP2 to use this method.

And, of couse, you need the resource kit, which fortunately, is downloadable
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

This seems to me worth trying, unless Jeffrey Randow (or somebody else!) can
tell us I'm all wet in left field and this absolutely isn't applicable!

"Colin Higbie" <CHigbie@nospamxxxAptagen.com> wrote in message
> Most of the files that I use are stored on my desktop computer (also
> acting
> as a file server, with RAID5). I keep an Offline copy on my laptop and
> take
> them with me to do work. Everything works fine. When I'm away from the
> network, I have nice speedy access to all my Offline files. Also, if I
> connect to the network via 100BaseT Ethernet, while a little slower
> because
> it's using the server files over the Ethernet, access is still reasonable.
> However, when I'm connected to the network via Wi-Fi, which is the typical
> case (like right now, I'm sitting in bed), the connection is very, very
> slow. With occasional exceptions (my wife has a third computer and shares
> some of these files), I'm the only one who ever changes these files, so I
> don't care about being out of sync with the "real" copy on the server.
>
> Is there a way to make Windows XP use the Offline file version of the
> files
> and folders by default? I could still synchronize every time I bring my
> laptop back to the network, but that way I would not be forced to rely on
> the super-slow network access.
>
> By the way, I don't want to disable the Wi-Fi network and force the
> computer
> to use the Offline files that way, because I rely on the Wi-Fi connection
> for Internet access. I only want to use my local copies of the Offline
> files
> and folders, while otherwise interacting with the network normally.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Colin

Left off the best reference:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/all/techref/en-us/Default.asp?url=/Resources/Documentation/windowsserv/2003/all/techref/en-us/csccmd.asp

This looks like it will do what you want--but read the usage information so
that you understand how it works--you reconnect via doing a synch.

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> Hmm--here's something I haven't tried, and it may be absolutely useless,
> but read on:
>
> The Windows Server 2003 resource kit contains a tool "CSCCMD.EXE" to allow
> command-line interaction with the client-side cache (i.e. offline files.)
>
> There's an argument cssccmd /disconnect
>
> which appears to do what you'd like, as (obliquely) cited here:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822888
>
> And, of course, this article exists because there's a bug, which is fixed
> in XP SP2--so you want to be running SP2 to use this method.
>
> And, of couse, you need the resource kit, which fortunately, is
> downloadable here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
>
> This seems to me worth trying, unless Jeffrey Randow (or somebody else!)
> can tell us I'm all wet in left field and this absolutely isn't
> applicable!
>

> "Colin Higbie" <CHigbie@nospamxxxAptagen.com> wrote in message
>> Most of the files that I use are stored on my desktop computer (also
>> acting
>> as a file server, with RAID5). I keep an Offline copy on my laptop and
>> take
>> them with me to do work. Everything works fine. When I'm away from the
>> network, I have nice speedy access to all my Offline files. Also, if I
>> connect to the network via 100BaseT Ethernet, while a little slower
>> because
>> it's using the server files over the Ethernet, access is still
>> reasonable.
>> However, when I'm connected to the network via Wi-Fi, which is the
>> typical
>> case (like right now, I'm sitting in bed), the connection is very, very
>> slow. With occasional exceptions (my wife has a third computer and shares
>> some of these files), I'm the only one who ever changes these files, so I
>> don't care about being out of sync with the "real" copy on the server.
>>
>> Is there a way to make Windows XP use the Offline file version of the
>> files
>> and folders by default? I could still synchronize every time I bring my
>> laptop back to the network, but that way I would not be forced to rely on
>> the super-slow network access.
>>
>> By the way, I don't want to disable the Wi-Fi network and force the
>> computer
>> to use the Offline files that way, because I rely on the Wi-Fi connection
>> for Internet access. I only want to use my local copies of the Offline
>> files
>> and folders, while otherwise interacting with the network normally.
>>
>> Thanks for any advice,
>> Colin

That sure looks like the right thing! Thanks. I'll try and report back.

- Colin

> [...]
>>> some of these files), I'm the only one who ever changes these files, so
>>> don't care about being out of sync with the "real" copy on the server.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to make Windows XP use the Offline file version of the
>>> files
>>> and folders by default? I could still synchronize every time I bring my
>>> laptop back to the network, but that way I would not be forced to rely
>>> on
>>> the super-slow network access.
>>>
>>> By the way, I don't want to disable the Wi-Fi network and force the
>>> computer
>>> to use the Offline files that way, because I rely on the Wi-Fi
>>> connection
>>> for Internet access. I only want to use my local copies of the Offline
>>> files
>>> and folders, while otherwise interacting with the network normally.

Another option, which I much prefer to Offline Files: www.centered.com . I
think it's a lot better in general - and it's cheap & cheerfu.

</shameless plug>

Colin Higbie wrote:
> Most of the files that I use are stored on my desktop computer (also
> acting as a file server, with RAID5). I keep an Offline copy on my
> laptop and take them with me to do work. Everything works fine. When
> I'm away from the network, I have nice speedy access to all my
> Offline files. Also, if I connect to the network via 100BaseT
> Ethernet, while a little slower because it's using the server files
> over the Ethernet, access is still reasonable. However, when I'm
> connected to the network via Wi-Fi, which is the typical case (like
> right now, I'm sitting in bed), the connection is very, very slow.
> With occasional exceptions (my wife has a third computer and shares
> some of these files), I'm the only one who ever changes these files,
> so I don't care about being out of sync with the "real" copy on the
> server.
>
> Is there a way to make Windows XP use the Offline file version of the
> files and folders by default? I could still synchronize every time I
> bring my laptop back to the network, but that way I would not be
> forced to rely on the super-slow network access.
>
> By the way, I don't want to disable the Wi-Fi network and force the
> computer to use the Offline files that way, because I rely on the
> Wi-Fi connection for Internet access. I only want to use my local
> copies of the Offline files and folders, while otherwise interacting
> with the network normally.
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Colin

Those are the best resources out there, Bill.. :)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:57:38 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"