Need help with file and printer sharing

> > I have just set up old wired PC and new wireless notebook with Linksys WRT 54G and have excellent signal strength with no disconnections. Old PC runs XP SP 2. But after installing XP SP2 on the new notebook, file and printer sharing will no longer work. Do you think I will just have to wait for a fix for this to SP2 or are some of my settings wrong? (I know at least printer sharing worked before I installed SP2.) I use WPA encryption, allow only the new notebook access to the network through MAC number, and have router and notebook set to "G only" if those things make any difference. Thanks for any assistance!
I forgot to say that the message I get when I try to turn on file and
printer sharing by "install"ing microsoft file and printer sharing and
"add"ing it as a service through the "LAN" on Control Panel Network Options
is this: "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". I have
no idea what that means--I would appreciate any advice. When I do the
network installation wizard, it always tells me that there is a network cable
disconnected--however my wireless and wired internet continue to work fine.
I have downloaded and unzipped the new XP driver for my 10/100 ethernet card.
This is a dumb question: do I also need to somehow "install" the new
driver--it doesn't automatically give me an "install" window. Or should I
check to make sure the ethernet card is seated well in the old computer? Or
is it a programming issue? Please help.
Reet

You need to install the driver for your ethernet card...that's probably why
the 'not connected' message. You'll have to locate where the files were
unzipped to, and go there from "My Computer" or Windows explorer. Open the
folder where the driver files are, and look for a 'Setup' or Setup.exe file.
If it's there click and run it.

If there is no setup.exe, right click on My Computer, choose properties,
Hardware tab, and Device Manager button. Find Network adapters (the card
may already have a ! next to it), right click the ethernet card and choose
update driver. You will then need to direct it to the files you unzipped.

If you don't see the card under 'network adapters', it could be listed in
other places...look for a yellow ! next to something, that will probably be
it. Once you update the driver, it will appear where it should.

Gary

"Reet" <Reet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> > I have just set up old wired PC and new wireless notebook with Linksys
>> > WRT 54G and have excellent signal strength with no disconnections. Old
>> > PC runs XP SP 2. But after installing XP SP2 on the new notebook, file
>> > and printer sharing will no longer work. Do you think I will just have
>> > to wait for a fix for this to SP2 or are some of my settings wrong? (I
>> > know at least printer sharing worked before I installed SP2.) I use
>> > WPA encryption, allow only the new notebook access to the network
>> > through MAC number, and have router and notebook set to "G only" if
>> > those things make any difference. Thanks for any assistance!
> I forgot to say that the message I get when I try to turn on file and
> printer sharing by "install"ing microsoft file and printer sharing and
> "add"ing it as a service through the "LAN" on Control Panel Network
> is this: "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". I
> have
> no idea what that means--I would appreciate any advice. When I do the
> network installation wizard, it always tells me that there is a network
> cable
> disconnected--however my wireless and wired internet continue to work
> fine.
> I have downloaded and unzipped the new XP driver for my 10/100 ethernet
> card.
> This is a dumb question: do I also need to somehow "install" the new
> driver--it doesn't automatically give me an "install" window. Or should I
> check to make sure the ethernet card is seated well in the old computer?
> Or
> is it a programming issue? Please help.
> Reet

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Gary R." <roberthouse@geocities.com> wrote in message
> You need to install the driver for your ethernet card...that's probably
why
> the 'not connected' message. You'll have to locate where the files were
> unzipped to, and go there from "My Computer" or Windows explorer. Open
the
> folder where the driver files are, and look for a 'Setup' or Setup.exe
file.
> If it's there click and run it.
>
> If there is no setup.exe, right click on My Computer, choose properties,
> Hardware tab, and Device Manager button. Find Network adapters (the card
> may already have a ! next to it), right click the ethernet card and choose
> update driver. You will then need to direct it to the files you unzipped.
>
> If you don't see the card under 'network adapters', it could be listed in
> other places...look for a yellow ! next to something, that will probably
be
> it. Once you update the driver, it will appear where it should.
>
> Gary
>
> "Reet" <Reet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Linksys
Old
(I
> > I forgot to say that the message I get when I try to turn on file and
> > printer sharing by "install"ing microsoft file and printer sharing and
> > "add"ing it as a service through the "LAN" on Control Panel Network
> > is this: "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". I
> > have
> > no idea what that means--I would appreciate any advice. When I do the
> > network installation wizard, it always tells me that there is a network
> > cable
> > disconnected--however my wireless and wired internet continue to work
> > fine.
> > I have downloaded and unzipped the new XP driver for my 10/100 ethernet
> > card.
> > This is a dumb question: do I also need to somehow "install" the new
> > driver--it doesn't automatically give me an "install" window. Or should
> > check to make sure the ethernet card is seated well in the old computer?
> > Or
> > is it a programming issue? Please help.
> > Reet

I have installed the new XP driver for my ethernet card and after allowing
the installation to go to windows update I get the message that the driver
that is installed is the latest version. However I still get the message
that "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". And my
Network Connections on the wireless notebook is still showing that the LAN
has a "network cable disconnected". I have made exceptions in Windows
Firewall and Norton firewall on both computers to allow the IP number of the
other computer. The wired computer is able to ping itself, the router, and
the wireless computer, but the new wireless computer is not able to ping the
wired computer. On View Network Computers in My Network places, the new
computer can see both computers but on the old computer I get the message
that the Workgroup is not accessible. In View Network Connections on the old
computer there is no WLAN listed and the LAN does not show a cable being
disconnected. If anyone can make sense of any of this, I will appreciate it
so much!

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
>
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Gary R." <roberthouse@geocities.com> wrote in message
> > You need to install the driver for your ethernet card...that's probably
> why
> > the 'not connected' message. You'll have to locate where the files were
> > unzipped to, and go there from "My Computer" or Windows explorer. Open
> the
> > folder where the driver files are, and look for a 'Setup' or Setup.exe
> file.
> > If it's there click and run it.
> >
> > If there is no setup.exe, right click on My Computer, choose properties,
> > Hardware tab, and Device Manager button. Find Network adapters (the card
> > may already have a ! next to it), right click the ethernet card and choose
> > update driver. You will then need to direct it to the files you unzipped.
> >
> > If you don't see the card under 'network adapters', it could be listed in
> > other places...look for a yellow ! next to something, that will probably
> be
> > it. Once you update the driver, it will appear where it should.
> >
> > Gary
> >
> > "Reet" <Reet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Linksys
> Old
> file
> have
> (I
> > > I forgot to say that the message I get when I try to turn on file and
> > > printer sharing by "install"ing microsoft file and printer sharing and
> > > "add"ing it as a service through the "LAN" on Control Panel Network
> > > is this: "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". I
> > > have
> > > no idea what that means--I would appreciate any advice. When I do the
> > > network installation wizard, it always tells me that there is a network
> > > cable
> > > disconnected--however my wireless and wired internet continue to work
> > > fine.
> > > I have downloaded and unzipped the new XP driver for my 10/100 ethernet
> > > card.
> > > This is a dumb question: do I also need to somehow "install" the new
> > > driver--it doesn't automatically give me an "install" window. Or should
> > > check to make sure the ethernet card is seated well in the old computer?
> > > Or
> > > is it a programming issue? Please help.
> > > Reet

Jim

Turn off the windows XP firewall completely
>I have installed the new XP driver for my ethernet card and after allowing
> the installation to go to windows update I get the message that the driver
> that is installed is the latest version. However I still get the message
> that "Windows was unable to find any drivers for this device". And my
> Network Connections on the wireless notebook is still showing that the LAN
> has a "network cable disconnected". I have made exceptions in Windows
> Firewall and Norton firewall on both computers to allow the IP number of
> the
> other computer. The wired computer is able to ping itself, the router,
> and
> the wireless computer, but the new wireless computer is not able to ping
> the
> wired computer. On View Network Computers in My Network places, the new
> computer can see both computers but on the old computer I get the message
> that the Workgroup is not accessible. In View Network Connections on the
> old
> computer there is no WLAN listed and the LAN does not show a cable being
> disconnected. If anyone can make sense of any of this, I will appreciate
> it
> so much!
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>

>> "Gary R." <roberthouse@geocities.com> wrote in message
>> > You need to install the driver for your ethernet card...that's probably
>> why
>> > the 'not connected' message. You'll have to locate where the files
>> > were
>> > unzipped to, and go there from "My Computer" or Windows explorer. Open
>> the
>> > folder where the driver files are, and look for a 'Setup' or Setup.exe
>> file.
>> > If it's there click and run it.
>> >
>> > If there is no setup.exe, right click on My Computer, choose
>> > properties,
>> > Hardware tab, and Device Manager button. Find Network adapters (the
>> > card
>> > may already have a ! next to it), right click the ethernet card and
>> > choose
>> > update driver. You will then need to direct it to the files you
>> > unzipped.
>> >
>> > If you don't see the card under 'network adapters', it could be listed
>> > in
>> > other places...look for a yellow ! next to something, that will
>> > probably
>> be
>> > it. Once you update the driver, it will appear where it should.
>> >
>> > Gary
>> >
>> > "Reet" <Reet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> Linksys
>> Old
>> file
>> have
>> (I

Thanks everybody for all your help! To try to make a long story short--I
uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter in the new notebook and
after some help from Gateway to reset things to be able to re-connect to the
network, I reconfigured the router, used the wizards to configure the LAN and
WLAN on each computer, turned Windows firewall back on (with exceptions for
the other computer), and MAGICALLY--everything began working perfectly, even
all files, hard drives, and disk players of both computers can be used by
both computers! And I didn't even have to ever "map" any drives--all I had
done was to permit individually each drive to be shared. So, all I can tell
you is that it REALLY IS POSSIBLE for file and printer sharing to work
perfectly, even with 2 firewalls, MAC filtering, WPA encryption, and no SSID
broadcast. I could not possibly walk someone through ALL the steps I took,
but if it would help anyone, I would be happy to share info about my present
settings (ending settings).