To follow up - Re: Best Computer for Video Editing

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 9, 2004 5:10:50 PM

Previously I eddited my first attempt while living in Thailand.
I really enjoyed it, I'm really looking forward to doing more.
I did end up using Pinnacle Studio 8, can't say that I'm really happy
about the end results.
The HP T150d (1.4 Gig, 500 MB ram 40 gig drive)
stayed in Thailand, but I still have the IEE1394 card on the card is
stenciled "Booserter 2 B 1.0 , 51010031. The largest chip on the board
sais "Agere FW 323-04" etc...

Q: I'm poor just now and only have $3,000 CDN (about 2,500 $US) To
spend on a new system. If you went to Dell.com how would you spend it?
(Which of the featured models would you build on? (anyone have time to
build their preference and leave a link?).

Q2: Should I replace my Fire card ?

Q3: What about extra Video edit hardware for the PC, anyone have a
link to learn more ?

Finally, It is likely that I will soon be buying a used Canon XL-1
December 10, 2004 12:41:09 PM

If your going Dell, go to the Optiplex line and configure yourself something
with a gig of ram and the best processor your budget can afford. You can
have them add a second hard drive, but can probably get a better deal
yourself what with all the rebates around.

Your firewire is fine. Just make sure you get the mini tower case so you can
put full size cards into it. Or better yet, Dell will probably firewire it
for $10

Get a decent graphics card, but don't spring for the high price 3d card for
gamers. Put a DVD burner in it and your ready to go.

Honestly, for a basic setup its just. Lots of Ram. Ample 2nd disk for
capture and work, and don't skimp on the processor. Get the best monitor you
can afford. The box is obsolete the second you put it on your desk, but a
really good monitor will stay with you box after box.

!