Codec Question

I am wondering what is the best codec for avi to get good video quality and
still have a relatively small file size. Thanks for the help.

Just to use on the PC? DivX, WMV, MPEG1 &2, really depends on what you want
to do with it.

"Chuck P." <chuckp1613@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I am wondering what is the best codec for avi to get good video quality and
>still have a relatively small file size. Thanks for the help.

It really depends on your opinion of "good quality video" and "small file
size". In truth, what are you willing to settle for and still call it "good
quality"? I recently posted a 18 second video on my website which is a full
720x480 29.97fps using Windows Media Encoder 9. It is "good quality video"
in my opinion and the file is around 4MB in size. Take a look
http://digitalvideosolutions.com/Top_Flight.wmv

With any video the more you attempt to reduce the file size the more you are
going to lose in quality. The video sited above is full NTSC resolution and
frame rate. If that isn't what you require then half size the frame
resolution and the frame rate. At smaller resolutions you can get more for
the MB, but still compression is compression no matter how you look at it.
Each codec has it's breaking point - every one from the Quicktime flavors to
the Windows ready ones. DivX is good, but again you can push it too far.

The main rule is the higher the data rate the better the quality. Practice
with outputting some video using various codecs and you will find where and
what is going to work best for you. You can compress and get "good quality"
but can you share it will the greatest number of people in which format? If
sharing your video doesn't matter to you then make a bunch of DVD out of
your stuff. If sharing with the greatest number of people is your goal then
MPEG-1 is probably the safest bet. IMHO!

--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"Chuck P." <chuckp1613@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I am wondering what is the best codec for avi to get good video quality
and
> still have a relatively small file size. Thanks for the help.

Oops...the link to the video is
http://digitalvideosolutions.com/video/Top_Flight.wmv Sorry!!!