Help with Remote Desktop...

September 9, 2004 9:22:01 AM

Want to test this tomorrow, but not exactly sure what to set as far as
settings. I have a cable modem at the office, broadband, XP Pro, have remote
desktop setup, have the firewall bypass for remote desktop set. On the
office PC when I boot up it just boots with one account, Administrator, no
passwork or anything. Computer is powered on.

On my laptop out in the field...what do I type in to the remote desktop
software. My office computer name? Is Administrator my username? Do I also
type in my IP address?

Any help would be great...software on both seems in order but I want to make
sure I have settings on both set so when I go out in the field it will work
OK...thanks!

Frank

More about : remote desktop

Anonymous
September 9, 2004 9:22:02 AM

Use the public IP of the firewall when calling. The user account you login with Remote Desktop must
be an Administrator or a member of the Remote Desktop Users group *AND* have a password.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...

TCP Port 3389 must be open on the firewall...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Frank McMahon" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Want to test this tomorrow, but not exactly sure what to set as far as settings. I have a cable
> modem at the office, broadband, XP Pro, have remote desktop setup, have the firewall bypass for
> remote desktop set. On the office PC when I boot up it just boots with one account, Administrator,
> no passwork or anything. Computer is powered on.
>
> On my laptop out in the field...what do I type in to the remote desktop software. My office
> computer name? Is Administrator my username? Do I also type in my IP address?
>
> Any help would be great...software on both seems in order but I want to make sure I have settings
> on both set so when I go out in the field it will work OK...thanks!
>
> Frank

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:00:25 AM

Al...here is an additional problem maybe you or someone can help with. I
have just a regular XP administrator account, default windows account, but
it is not password protected. When I go to add a password protected account
(for using remote desktop) it says I need to create at least one computer
administrator account. So I did that today, however it started me with just
the default windows setup (all my desktop stuff was gone, bookmarks,
settings, etc). My outlook .pst was history too, almost lost it!! :o

However I WAS able to log in fine remotely with remote desktop.

I have since rolled back to a restore point from yesterday but now I am not
sure what to do. Can I just add a password to my main adminstrator account.
I want to KEEP all my settings however it seems they go to default after I
create a computer administraor account. Help!

Frank

> Use the public IP of the firewall when calling. The user account you login
> with Remote Desktop must be an Administrator or a member of the Remote
> Desktop Users group *AND* have a password.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getst...
>
> TCP Port 3389 must be open on the firewall...
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>
> "Frank McMahon" <frankmcma@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Want to test this tomorrow, but not exactly sure what to set as far as
>> settings. I have a cable modem at the office, broadband, XP Pro, have
>> remote desktop setup, have the firewall bypass for remote desktop set. On
>> the office PC when I boot up it just boots with one account,
>> Administrator, no passwork or anything. Computer is powered on.
>>
>> On my laptop out in the field...what do I type in to the remote desktop
>> software. My office computer name? Is Administrator my username? Do I
>> also type in my IP address?
>>
>> Any help would be great...software on both seems in order but I want to
>> make sure I have settings on both set so when I go out in the field it
>> will work OK...thanks!
>>
>> Frank

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 2:03:10 AM

Oh I also have a "ASP.NET Machine A..." account, not sure if this can be
used to log in. I think .net or something was installed/activated after I
installed Franklin Covey's PlanPlus for Outlook.

Thanks!

!