VPN Network with 2 Computers Running XP Home Edition

Is it possible to network two computers together using a VPN over the
internet that are both running WinXP home edition? I'v setup my computer to
allow incoming connections but haven't had any success. I'm beginning to
wonder if this is a feature only in WinXP Pro .. ?

Thanks

See these pages for help. XP Pro and XP Home can act as a PPTP VPN server and client.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"robrich22" <robrich22@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:JgS%c.404634$%_6.395479@attbi_s01...
> Is it possible to network two computers together using a VPN over the
> internet that are both running WinXP home edition? I'v setup my computer to
> allow incoming connections but haven't had any success. I'm beginning to
> wonder if this is a feature only in WinXP Pro .. ?
>
> Thanks

I forgot to add that if your behind a firewall/NAT/router then you also need to forward TCP Port
1723 and enable GRE Protocol 47 traffic. The latter is sometimes called "PPTP Pass Through" or "VPN
Pass Through". Note that the XP SP2 Windows firewall, or the pre-SP2 Internet Connection Firewall
(ICF), automatically enables GRE Protocol 47 traffic when TCP Port 1723 is opened...

--

> See these pages for help. XP Pro and XP Home can act as a PPTP VPN server and client.
>
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "robrich22" <robrich22@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:JgS%c.404634$%_6.395479@attbi_s01...
>> Is it possible to network two computers together using a VPN over the internet that are both
>> running WinXP home edition? I'v setup my computer to allow incoming connections but haven't had
>> any success. I'm beginning to wonder if this is a feature only in WinXP Pro .. ?
>>
>> Thanks

'Incoming Connection' is available only on Win XP Pro.

--
Thanks,
Janani.

---------------------------------

"robrich22" <robrich22@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to network two computers together using a VPN over the
> internet that are both running WinXP home edition? I'v setup my computer
> allow incoming connections but haven't had any success. I'm beginning to
> wonder if this is a feature only in WinXP Pro .. ?
>
> Thanks

Incoming Connections are available in all XP editions - they are
limited to one connection, though...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:28:46 +0530, "Janani V[MSFT]"
<jananiv@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>'Incoming Connection' is available only on Win XP Pro.

TRENDING THREADS