More Remote Desktop problems...

I'm a new user to remote desktop and I'm having problems setting it up. I
think it might have something to do with a firewall on my router. Is there
any way to find out what port will by-pass the router so that I can connect?

Erik
4 answers Last reply
More about more remote desktop problems

    Even when I click <browse for more..> and then click my workgroup i get it
    says that my domain does not contain any terminal servers.

    "Erik" wrote:

    > I'm a new user to remote desktop and I'm having problems setting it up. I
    > think it might have something to do with a firewall on my router. Is there
    > any way to find out what port will by-pass the router so that I can connect?
    >
    > Erik

    Erik,

    It would help to know a little more about what you are trying to do.

    you need to open/forward port 3389 on the firewall to the local machine that
    is running XP Pro.

    --
    Don't have the need for a full time IT staff, Contact Sean.
    For all of your IT needs SCD@ourfamilyzoo.net.

    Does remote desktop only work when one computer is XP Pro?

    I just want to connect to remotely

    "Sean" wrote:

    > Erik,
    >
    > It would help to know a little more about what you are trying to do.
    >
    > you need to open/forward port 3389 on the firewall to the local machine that
    > is running XP Pro.
    >

    > --
    > Don't have the need for a full time IT staff, Contact Sean.
    > For all of your IT needs SCD@ourfamilyzoo.net.

    The PC your trying to connect to with Remote Desktop must be running XP Pro. The client can be
    pretty much any flavor of Windows, LINUX or a Mac.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Erik" <Erik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Does remote desktop only work when one computer is XP Pro?
    >
    > I just want to connect to remotely
    >
    > "Sean" wrote:
    >
    >> Erik,
    >>
    >> It would help to know a little more about what you are trying to do.
    >>
    >> you need to open/forward port 3389 on the firewall to the local machine that
    >> is running XP Pro.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Don't have the need for a full time IT staff, Contact Sean.
    >> For all of your IT needs SCD@ourfamilyzoo.net.

Remote Desktop Routers Microsoft Windows XP