JVC DV Camera

Bucks

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002

I have a JVC GR-DVL520u. It's a about three years old. So I have a lot
of tapes and don't want to put them on VHS. I want to upload them onto
my comp. and then burn them onto a dvdr. I tried USB but all that does
is get the pictures, not the video, and the video is what I want. I
read something about a ilink or a cable for the DV in/out plug on the
camera to plug it into the comp. What does my comp. need to recieve
video from my camera? ANYONE KNOW?

Your camera has both a USB port and a IEEE-1394 ("FireWire", "iLink") port.
You cannot transver video from the camcorder over the USB port. Only the '1394
port.

You appear to need (assuming PC):

1. A 4-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable.

2. A IEEE-1394 adaptor card to install in your computer. PCMCIA to '1394 cards
exist...>US$100 each; PCI-'1394 cards are US$20 and down.

3. Video capture software...ScenAlyzer is a usable stand-alone capture program
(shareware). There are freeware programs also.

4. Video editing software; many can capture also. Free through US$50,000. Take
your pick. A simple one may have come with your camera.

5. If you plan to produce DVD-ROMs playable as "movies" on set-top DVD players,
you need a DVD Authoring program. May have come with your DVD burner. DVD
burning software (Nero, Adaptec/Roxio)...may also have come with your DVD
burner. You can also spend a couple of hundred US$ on the burner software, and
from zero to US$10^5 for authoring software. All of the above will also
produce VCD and SuperVCD disks.

6. Google 'dvdhelp'.

p a w e b e r 0 2 @a*o*l*.*c*o*m

webpa