Combination DVD player with digital video recorder?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 10, 2004 4:20:44 PM

Does anyone make a plain old digital video recorder (to a hard drive),
that doesn't require a subscription? One that works just like an old
fashioned VCR? All the ones I've seen so far come with TIVO.

I was thinking it would be cool to have a combination DVD player with a
simple hard drive video recorder.
December 10, 2004 6:38:30 PM

Google, my friend. Google is your ally.

Yes, there are lots of them. With hard drive, without hard drive, with TIVO,
without TIVO.

<cr113@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone make a plain old digital video recorder (to a hard drive),
> that doesn't require a subscription? One that works just like an old
> fashioned VCR? All the ones I've seen so far come with TIVO.
>
> I was thinking it would be cool to have a combination DVD player with a
> simple hard drive video recorder.

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:51:32 AM

<cr113@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Does anyone make a plain old digital video recorder (to a hard drive),
> that doesn't require a subscription? One that works just like an old
> fashioned VCR? All the ones I've seen so far come with TIVO.
>
> I was thinking it would be cool to have a combination DVD player with a
> simple hard drive video recorder.

WalMart. $280. Will also burn a DVD in addition to hard drive recording.
December 12, 2004 9:53:26 PM

Panasonic has a great product out there..I've seen it on sale at
circuit City and Target. I have one myself. Look for the DMR E50
series, great product that supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM...RAM is a great
option that has not been marketed the way it should be. With RAM you
can record and then time-shift (view the start of your program while it
continues to record)...basically the same stuff Tivo does.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:58:36 PM

stygianaxeman@yahoo.com wrote:
> Panasonic has a great product out there..I've seen it on sale at
> circuit City and Target. I have one myself. Look for the DMR E50
> series, great product that supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM...RAM is a
great
> option that has not been marketed the way it should be. With RAM you
> can record and then time-shift (view the start of your program while
it
> continues to record)...basically the same stuff Tivo does.

It looks like it retails for $500. Ouch.

They sell DVD players for less than $50. I was hoping a simple combo
DVD/ hard drive recorder would be in the low 100's. I guess I was
wrong.

I think I'll just buy a basic DVD player and use my VCR for recording
until the price comes down.

Thanks for the info!
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:15:23 AM

FredBillie wrote:
> << From: cr113@hotmail.com
> Date: Mon, Dec 13, 2004 2:58 PM
>

> stygianaxeman@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Panasonic has a great product out there..I've seen it on sale at
> > circuit City and Target. I have one myself. Look for the DMR E50
> > series, great product that supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM...RAM is a
> great
> > option that has not been marketed the way it should be. With RAM
you
> > can record and then time-shift (view the start of your program
while
> it
> > continues to record)...basically the same stuff Tivo does.
>
> It looks like it retails for $500. Ouch.
>
> They sell DVD players for less than $50. I was hoping a simple combo
> DVD/ hard drive recorder would be in the low 100's. I guess I was
> wrong.
>
> I think I'll just buy a basic DVD player and use my VCR for recording
> until the price comes down.
>
> Thanks for the info!
> >>

> The Panasonic DMR-E50K is $250 at Best Price Audio Video:

Which part of the product description tells you that it records to a
hard drive?

Records to DVD-RAM
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 11:19:22 AM

<< From: cr113@hotmail.com
Date: Mon, Dec 13, 2004 2:58 PM

stygianaxeman@yahoo.com wrote:
> Panasonic has a great product out there..I've seen it on sale at
> circuit City and Target. I have one myself. Look for the DMR E50
> series, great product that supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM...RAM is a
great
> option that has not been marketed the way it should be. With RAM you
> can record and then time-shift (view the start of your program while
it
> continues to record)...basically the same stuff Tivo does.

It looks like it retails for $500. Ouch.

They sell DVD players for less than $50. I was hoping a simple combo
DVD/ hard drive recorder would be in the low 100's. I guess I was
wrong.

I think I'll just buy a basic DVD player and use my VCR for recording
until the price comes down.

Thanks for the info!

The Panasonic DMR-E50K is $250 at Best Price Audio Video:

http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/products/product_det...
405&Show=D
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 1:47:05 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 07:15:23 -0800, cr113@hotmail.com wrote:

>FredBillie wrote:
>> << From: cr113@hotmail.com
>> Date: Mon, Dec 13, 2004 2:58 PM
>>

>> stygianaxeman@yahoo.com wrote:
>> > Panasonic has a great product out there..I've seen it on sale at
>> > circuit City and Target. I have one myself. Look for the DMR E50
>> > series, great product that supports DVD-R and DVD-RAM...RAM is a
>> great
>> > option that has not been marketed the way it should be. With RAM
>you
>> > can record and then time-shift (view the start of your program
>while
>> it
>> > continues to record)...basically the same stuff Tivo does.
>>
>> It looks like it retails for $500. Ouch.
>>
>> They sell DVD players for less than $50. I was hoping a simple combo
>> DVD/ hard drive recorder would be in the low 100's. I guess I was
>> wrong.
>>
>> I think I'll just buy a basic DVD player and use my VCR for recording
>> until the price comes down.
>>
>> Thanks for the info!
>> >>

>> The Panasonic DMR-E50K is $250 at Best Price Audio Video:
>
>Which part of the product description tells you that it records to a
>hard drive?
>

>Records to DVD-RAM

Here's part of Cnet's review that specifically says it lacks the hard
drive:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DMR_E50K/4505-6473_7-...

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

>>>The Panasonic DMR-E50K is $250 at Best Price Audio Video:
>>
>>Which part of the product description tells you that it records to a
>>hard drive?
>>

>>Records to DVD-RAM
>

> Here's part of Cnet's review that specifically says it lacks the hard
> drive:
> http://reviews.cnet.com/Panasonic_DMR_E50K/4505-6473_7-...

I'm starting the easy way here (yes, I'll continue with my
Googleing and
asking clerks, etc...), but since someone already started the thread ...

I want to take my analog video tapes, copy them to digital and burn
them
to DVD. Fine. I found the machine at Best Buy with a built in hard drive
that will receive the data, then I burn the DVD. This is appealing because
my first goal is to archive all these irreplaceable hours of stuff onto
a medium
that should survive longer (until the next storage media come out ...)

HOWEVER, I got the impression that I could get my 2-hour analog tape
onto a 2-hour Digital Video Disk - BUT - it would be all one piece -
segment -
section. I really have tapes that I might have recorded over a month -
two minutes of flowers; five minutes of animals; twenty minutes of Moon
and Jupiter through my 'scope; hour of a parade; the rest people and such.
I need to take this DVD and EDIT the thing - pull out each separate topic,
scene, what-have-you, and treat them as separate entities. On my
PC with Pinnacle Video editting capability. Can such DVDs be chopped
up rather than merely be watched raw on a TV?

Yes, I can digitize the analog tape directly into my PC - with a
limit of
2-Gig files (approx. ten minutes of .avi format - which I can later
compress
to one-tenth size in .mpg format.) But it takes so long when I have to
sit at the keyboard during every minute of every tape. Start - stop -
rewind - start - stop - re-do. I could get a time machine and go back
and re-shoot the event with a digital camcorder easier.

So my first step to preserve of all these tapes - plug one in and
record the full 2-hours while I go do the laundry, mow lawn, buy groceries
and do general living stuff. Come back, put in another tape and DVD
and start again, walk away.

So - Question: Can I buy a machine from the usual consumer stores
that will let me make DVDs from my analog tapes and LATER do all
my editting from that DVD at my leisure on my PC? This has got to be
such an obvious use that someone must have run into this need.

Or do I wait another year or so before the manufacturers figure out
what people like me (with tapes of stuff going back to 1960s - 8mm film
already converted to 8mm analog video) need? (Total: 200+ hours
and I want all of it on Digital for life-time storage. I might get five
decent 2-hour 'movies' out of it all. My motives should not matter -
if manufacturers want my money, they should meet my wants.)

Help.
Thanks.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:46:08 PM

"William H. Hathaway" <hathaway@stsci.edu> wrote in message
> HOWEVER, I got the impression that I could get my 2-hour analog tape
> onto a 2-hour Digital Video Disk - BUT - it would be all one piece -
> segment -

If you are interested in a HD/DVD recorder then the ILO at WalMart $280 has
the capability that you are looking for. I downloaded the manual and it
indicated that you can split/merge/edit titles on the HD before writing to
DVD.

Also the Hauppauge WinPVR 150 is a low cost solution ($70 after $30 rebate,
Compusa) that will do everything you specified. It records in MPEG-2 in
realtime, has an MPEG-2 editor for cutting and merging, and a low end
edition of ULead DVD Movie Factory for authoring.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:12:44 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:08:17 +0000, "William H. Hathaway"
<hathaway@stsci.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>record the full 2-hours while I go do the laundry, mow lawn, buy groceries
>and do general living stuff. Come back, put in another tape and DVD
>and start again, walk away.
>
> So - Question: Can I buy a machine from the usual consumer stores
>that will let me make DVDs from my analog tapes and LATER do all
>my editting from that DVD at my leisure on my PC? This has got to be
>such an obvious use that someone must have run into this need.
>
> Or do I wait another year or so before the manufacturers figure out
>what people like me (with tapes of stuff going back to 1960s - 8mm film
>already converted to 8mm analog video) need? (Total: 200+ hours
>and I want all of it on Digital for life-time storage. I might get five
>decent 2-hour 'movies' out of it all. My motives should not matter -
>if manufacturers want my money, they should meet my wants.)

Intersting you would ask that. I'm in that position now; having burned
the DVD from the set-top DVD recorder, how to get it into the
computer?
In my case, I have a Dazzle 150 (works excellently with Suudio; it
should, Pinnacle markets it).
Use a DVD plaver to output to the Dazzle, while capturing with Studio.
Presto! DVD quality AVI, ready to be edited by Studio.
Not for the weak of wallet, but it does the job with good quality.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Big Bill wrote:

> [...]
>>what people like me (with tapes of stuff going back to 1960s - 8mm film
>>already converted to 8mm analog video) need? (Total: 200+ hours
>>and I want all of it on Digital for life-time storage. I might get five
>>decent 2-hour 'movies' out of it all. My motives should not matter -
>>if manufacturers want my money, they should meet my wants.)
>>
>> Help.
>> Thanks.
>>

> Intersting you would ask that. I'm in that position now; having burned
> the DVD from the set-top DVD recorder, how to get it into the
> computer?
> In my case, I have a Dazzle 150 (works excellently with Suudio; it
> should, Pinnacle markets it).
> Use a DVD plaver to output to the Dazzle, while capturing with Studio.
> Presto! DVD quality AVI, ready to be edited by Studio.
> Not for the weak of wallet, but it does the job with good quality.

Thanks - I seem to remember my brain thinking something like this but
my brain can barely get through this past month ... adventure every day
ever wish you could video everything you see? The only commerical
content I watch is "The Simpsons", occasional real news events
and medical anomoly shows (my partner pays the cable bill, so it's
her choice.) Real life is sooooo much more entertaining.

So - I make my archive copy of my original video onto a DVD with
a DVD recorder (not yet purchased.) Then play that from a DVD player
which I have - they be cheap enough - to my PC, captured as "DVD quality
AVI"; then edit as I have time and interest in my future years.

All I need is find Dazzle (on the shelves at CompUSA or the
equivalent?)
and find money for a DVD recorder.

One clarification: is "DVD quality AVI" the same (or acceptably same)
quality as AVI captured directly from my original analog tape to my PC?
Which is the best I can do now - all settings at max. Compared to
playing my analog straight to a TV monitor, I'm satisfied with my
current tape to PC capture quality.

Bill H.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 8:05:42 PM

FLY135 wrote:
> "William H. Hathaway" <hathaway@stsci.edu> wrote in message
>
>> HOWEVER, I got the impression that I could get my 2-hour analog tape
>>onto a 2-hour Digital Video Disk - BUT - it would be all one piece -
>>segment -
>

> If you are interested in a HD/DVD recorder then the ILO at WalMart $280 has
> the capability that you are looking for. I downloaded the manual and it
> indicated that you can split/merge/edit titles on the HD before writing to
> DVD.
>
> Also the Hauppauge WinPVR 150 is a low cost solution ($70 after $30 rebate,
> Compusa) that will do everything you specified. It records in MPEG-2 in
> realtime, has an MPEG-2 editor for cutting and merging, and a low end
> edition of ULead DVD Movie Factory for authoring.

Thanks - I'll look into this too. It looks like the ILO has the
capability.
I'll check the quality also. I might be able to sell some of my
artwork to
pay the Walmart price. (Would it be outrageous if I gave a web site
where such can be bought? Probably. Pretend I did not say "
teslamania .")

Bill H.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 3:46:15 AM

<hathaway@stsci.edu> wrote:

> HOWEVER, I got the impression that I could get my 2-hour analog tape
>onto a 2-hour Digital Video Disk - BUT - it would be all one piece -
>segment -
>section. I really have tapes that I might have recorded over a month -
>two minutes of flowers; five minutes of animals; twenty minutes of Moon
>and Jupiter through my 'scope; hour of a parade; the rest people and such.
>I need to take this DVD and EDIT the thing

It's possible, but it's easy to fail. This is a procedure that works:

1) Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD in IFO mode.

2) Open the VOBs in mpeg-vcr. Demux them, then remux them anew (sounds
silly, but according to my experience it's absolutely necessary, to
get video & audio synchronized). Then edit the resulting .mpg file
with this same program, which is a simple but effective cutter.

3) Reauthor the mpegs.

>Can I buy a machine from the usual consumer stores
>that will let me make DVDs from my analog tapes and LATER do all
>my editting from that DVD at my leisure on my PC?

Of course. Take a desktop DVD recorder, record your tapes, then edit
as told above.
!