Why can I not accept Remote Assistance invitations?

Why can I not accept Remote Assistance invitations from another Messenger
user on my network? I have my childrens' two computers on my home network
running Windows XP Home Editon an all three computers. XP_SP2 is installed
on all three machines and there are exceptions listed in Windows Firewall to
accept these connections. I can't seem to connect through Remote Desktop
either.

Try this for your local network...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteAssistance/RemoteAssistance.html

You could, if you wish, simply disable the Windows Firewall if your behind another
firewall/NAT/router...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"RR News" <ecoyne@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message news:8b00d.33011$Ot3.32644@twister.nyc.rr.com...
> Why can I not accept Remote Assistance invitations from another Messenger
> user on my network? I have my childrens' two computers on my home network
> running Windows XP Home Editon an all three computers. XP_SP2 is installed
> on all three machines and there are exceptions listed in Windows Firewall to
> accept these connections. I can't seem to connect through Remote Desktop
> either.

You can't connect via Remote Desktop because that feature isn't included in
XP Home Edition.

Al's given a very clear explanation of how you can make this work on your
LAN without using Messenger.

"RR News" <ecoyne@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message
> Why can I not accept Remote Assistance invitations from another Messenger
> user on my network? I have my childrens' two computers on my home network
> running Windows XP Home Editon an all three computers. XP_SP2 is
> installed
> on all three machines and there are exceptions listed in Windows Firewall
> accept these connections. I can't seem to connect through Remote Desktop
> either.

Thanks...I missed the XP Home part completely...:)