Canopus Storm2 & Adobe PPro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 11, 2004 6:25:43 AM

After working more with the DVStorm/PP driver, I've come to the conclusion
that it's a piece of junk.

The video I made is only 7-minutes in length, a few dissolves, titles
interviews and B-roll. The lag between monitor window and timeline makes
OHCI feel faster than the Storm. Terrible!

I also experienced a few other weird things, the worse being output back to
DV tape. I got annoying audio drops which I couldn't fix. The drops outs
were not on the timeline, but show up when I recorded back to tape.

I replicated by workflo using OHCI just as a test, no dropouts -- everything
okay.

I can't believe some people on these boards feel this driver is actually
okay. Canopus should be ashamed! Terrible.
December 11, 2004 6:30:24 AM

(Reprint from Canopus Forum's)

I was just wonder when will Canopus Attend to the problems with Ppro ?
December 11, 2004 6:37:54 AM

(Reprint from Canopus Forum's)

Is Canopus going to improve the Adobe drivers? - It seems to have been quiet
since we were all screaming in dissatisfaction about the Storm card with
Prem Pro - or even Prem 6.5 for that matter - POOF! (who is still dealing
with that?)

Seeing Edius and using it - and being a customer - and possibly a future
Edius user - tell me if - please tell me - please stop the madness -

Is canopus going to continue with the adobe drivers??????????

I can see the emphasis on Edius - which is not quit what Pinnacle did - but
that day came - Liquid -

And ok - I see HDV coming - so - is there a plan to incorporate a new card
that would work better with Prem Pro - perhaps like that is coming out with
the Edius solution. - The bottom line is I like to use Prem Pro - It works
excellent all by itself - the catch is I do also like some of the special
effects that the storm provides - slo mo etc...

I am making plans for future upgrades to our editing software and systems...

So I hope there is a way to clarify the confusion -

Thanks,

A concerned Adobe user going crazy over the NLE I purchased that I thought
would do some things I thought it would but it can't, but I see other things
racing past what I thought I bought!
December 11, 2004 12:46:37 PM

You complain of problems that under the notes you make would not happen with
as you say "a few disolves, etc.". which would not occur if you had the
DVStorm configured right in the first place. You probably don't have it in
the right slot, or one a compatible mainboard. You love to complain but
don't give information based on equipment, configuration, or installation.
Tell us what mainboard you are using and what slot the DVStorm is in. Ten to
one you don't know what you are doing from the word "start"

I have argued Canopus this and that with you, and finally let's see what is
the real problem. User error is my guess. In the elementary scenerio you
outline with you post the Storm would perform flawlessly when configured
properly. It hasn't go anything to do with the Premiere Pro plug-in!

"vic" <Vic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After working more with the DVStorm/PP driver, I've come to the conclusion
> that it's a piece of junk.
>
> The video I made is only 7-minutes in length, a few dissolves, titles
> interviews and B-roll. The lag between monitor window and timeline makes
> OHCI feel faster than the Storm. Terrible!
>
> I also experienced a few other weird things, the worse being output back
> DV tape. I got annoying audio drops which I couldn't fix. The drops outs
> were not on the timeline, but show up when I recorded back to tape.
>
> I replicated by workflo using OHCI just as a test, no dropouts --
everything
> okay.
>
> I can't believe some people on these boards feel this driver is actually
> okay. Canopus should be ashamed! Terrible.

December 11, 2004 4:20:16 PM

(Copied from Canopus Forum's)

Took the cob webs off the latest DVStorm driver for Premiere Pro 1.5 and did
a short video job with it.

But, has anyone else found sluggish behaviour going between the source
window and the Premiere timeline with the Storm? There's a 1 sec lag. So
when you select an in/out point in the monitor window and drag the clip into
the timeline -- Premiere stalls for a split second, so no action can occur
on the timeline (like simple timeline playback).

This totally slows down and so negates the extra responsiveness of running
the DVStorm with Premiere Pro 1.5, running plain OHCI doesn't have this
problem, so feels much snappier.

Let alone all the other problems with these drivers, has anyone else
experienced this or is it just on my system???
December 11, 2004 4:35:47 PM

Marco!
The Canopus drivers for Adobe Premier Pro are rubbish, if you need to use
the Storm card your best bet is to edit with Edius. Although Edius is
certainly not everyone's choice (mine included) its the only way. Canopus
will never release any better drivers for Storm/Pro, so if like me you need
to edit with Premier Pro there's only one option.....change your card.
Mike

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 11, 2004 4:54:01 PM

I just wasted $1500 on a bloody Storm2 Pro card beleiving it would run
Premiere nice a smoothly with RT effects and Xsitions!!! Can i sue these
bums for mis-information???

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 12, 2004 9:33:58 AM

I think what's happened is OHCI/firewire has matured and PC/drives have
gotten faster. NLE software like Premiere Pro and Vegas which years ago
required the Storm for any kind of productivity, now doesn't. In the
meantime, the DVStorm which should have improved and only got better, got
worse! So, to my mind now, the Storm just adds lots of new bugs and
wrinkles.

I understand your anger but I try not get angry at Canopus, I'm sure they're
trying, it's obvious Premiere Pro is a hard nut to crack for them and
obviously they made some mistakes. I do think it's important that views are
expressed here and truth about the product is given both by us the users and
by Canopus.

There was a guy here posting recently in regards to if people on this board
would recommend a Storm2. I can't believe how mature everyone was, by not
blasting that post with negative comments about the Storm. Canopus has
incredibly loyal customers.

I'm sticking to Prem 6.5/Storm and calling it a night. I'm working mostly
with OHCI and Vegas. But I almost kind of wish Canopus would make a
statement like, "DVStorm is only packaged with Edius from now on, and no
longer supports Premiere Pro" -- and give all DVStorm users, a free copy of
Edius. I don't like Edius either, to my mind, Canopus should have put the
development team of that software on to Premiere Pro drivers.

MB

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 12, 2004 9:38:27 AM

I have the perfect for solution for a rock solid system with no audio
issues. I have two work stations, so after getting multicam for premiere pro
I decided to put premiere pro on one. Got it working quickly. Tested it out
with some short chunks of video. Loaded in a 1.5 hour clip. The audio
repeats every 9 minutes or so, and that is after making me wait for it to be
conformed. After looking at the posts I think I have noted that there is not
anything that works worth a hoot for fixing the audio issues. Spent quit a
number of hours going back to 6.5. I worked with the clip and it was solid
as a rock. Actually, after the new install the whole thing seems to be a
little faster. Has a lot of good realtime features. I think Canopus should
just say they don't support premiere pro at this time and go on with life.

On a side note, my ADVC-100 came today, brand spankin new, DOA. I can't even
call and complain since it is a holiday.

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 15, 2004 6:49:14 AM

I just came across this issue and I'm as frustrated as like everybody here.
Some AVI clips get out of sycn. It started to mess up around the 9 min mark.
I followed what StormDave recommended, unlink the media and link it back. It
works! (Thanks StormDave) It's a workaround but it's a major issue! Luckily
I bought this card last week. I might just return it and stick with the OHCI
firewire card!

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 15, 2004 6:50:17 AM

I think someone recommend the same in other thread to you but I will do the
same recommendation again.

If you go to use PPro, return the dvStorm ASAP, it does not worth the
hassle, only Edius benefits of it.

Not believe advertisings like this Storm with PPro it does not work.

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 15, 2004 3:20:13 PM

In my case, this issue (async audio video) also appears on clips with 4 or 5
min. The time doesn't matter on my side.

So, unlink and link can help, but not every time ! When i start to do
something else on my pc while conforming audio with ppro 1.5, the problem
also appear in this case.

Plus, with ~ 50 clips in a project, it's a mess....

Whatever, Canopus must correct this problem in the plugin !!!I hope they see
this thread and still working on this !!!

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 17, 2004 4:31:51 AM

Now that the new Edius boards have been released and the Storm is
essentially end of life, I would like to ask for the last time, will
someone....anyone.....from Canopus oficially state, whether the exisiting
issues with the Storm are going to be fixed or are we to be left with
useless hadrware. I am talking about things such as the audio glitch on
playback of rt effects in Premiere for example, it is not a missing feature
or something that would be nice to have, it is a BUG that has made my Storm
with Premiere Pro COMPLETELY USELESS for production purposes.

So I think all exisiting Storm users would love to know, will the bugs with
the Storm be fixed? and please dont say, buy Edius, no bugs there, as I am
running Premiere, I bought the Storm to run Premiere and Edius WILL NOT DO
what I need it to do whereas Premiere will!

Evan
A rather concerned Canopus owner!
--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 17, 2004 4:37:03 AM

My advice would be not to wait any longer if you're not getting the
resolution you need from Canopus. Since you really want to use Premiere Pro
and it isn't working right for you with the DVStorm hardware, I'd say sell
the hardware to someone who uses Edius and use the money to upgrade your
computer for running Premiere Pro faster on its own.

By the way, I've heard Adobe representatives describe Premiere Pro as
essentially a complete rewrite of the program from the ground up, and I
doubt they would have made compatibility with DVStorm a priority. So draw
your own conclusions about whether Canopus will ever be able to fully
deliver on support for Premiere Pro with hardware developed over four years
ago. If there's a problem here, it's that Canopus led people to believe they
could do something which they've arguably failed to do. If they hadn't
promised that, there'd be a lot less disappointment around here.

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 18, 2004 1:55:34 AM

Update - outputing to 2 6GB Canopus AVI files, re-importing them into a new
premiere pro project and encoding with procoder 2.0 through premiere worked.
Now why do I have to jump through so many dang hoops to get this to work?
The effort should be in the editing, not in the fooling around try to get
output...

--------------------
Premiere Pro 1.5 running canopus dvstorm2 with updated plugins on a 3.2GHz
Northwood 800fsb, 2GB RAM Dual Channel PAT, ati 9600XT, windows XP pro SP2
with 875P Infinity motherboard. NTFS raid video storage.
December 18, 2004 1:56:38 AM

It is because there are serious memory leaks not fixed in the Canopus PPro
plugin.

Export in segments is the only solution like you have discovered, there is
not rule for how small the segments have to be, it depends of the
filters/transitions applied to the timeline. In my case when I used the
DvStorm I had to export in 10 minutes fragments.

It has been said a lot of times here but if you are having more problems,
give a try to OHCI mode (disabling DvStorm) with PPro, you will be amazed.

--------------------
Want to help out Canopus users? Click here to sign the petition!

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 18, 2004 7:53:20 PM

Quote:

By the way, I've heard Adobe representatives describe Premiere Pro as
essentially a complete rewrite of the program from the ground up, and I
doubt they would have made compatibility with DVStorm a priority

Arghh, I dont like when someone try to pass the buck to Adobe

Adobe has not to move a finger in this issue; this is only a Canopus issue.
Adobe is not bundling his software with Canopus, Adobe has not to make his
product compatible with anything, Canopus is who is bundling his software
with PPro and have to make it compatible with PPro, if Canopus can not make
a working plugin, STOP BUDNLING WITH PPro, period.

Quote:

If there's a problem here, it's that Canopus led people to believe they
could do something which they've arguably failed to do. If they hadn't
promised that, there'd be a lot less disappointment around here.

And I don't like either when people talk in past about a present issue.

Canopus is still using Adobe to sell his Canopus hardware, look at his
present "propaganda"
http://www.canopus.us/US/pdf/ENGLISH_STORMPRO_PREMPRO_V...
It is easy, if you can not to do it to work with Adobe, stop the propaganda
and sell your Canopus products ONLY with Edius.

If I was Adobe I would prohibit to Canopus to bundle my software with his
hardware.

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 18, 2004 7:58:50 PM

Quote:

I've heard Adobe representatives describe Premiere Pro as essentially a
complete rewrite of the program from the ground up, and I doubt they would
have made compatibility with DVStorm a priority.

Like Dizy said, its not up to Adobe to fashion a product to 3rd party
hardware, Adobe built Ppro from the ground up, Canopus built their Ppro
drivers on their existing insufficient Premiere 6.5 drivers, instead of
building from the ground up.

Quote:

So draw your own conclusions about whether Canopus will ever be able to
fully deliver on support for Premiere Pro with hardware developed over four
years ago. If there's a problem here, it's that Canopus led people to
believe they could do something which they've arguably failed to do

Since they are advertising their new products with Ppro one would hope that
they are busy developing true drivers for Ppro which may trickle
down,(hopefully not on a inseam)

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 18, 2004 8:02:52 PM

I was at Adobe's capture card list and NONE of the Canopus' hardware is
listed for PPro 1.5.

....Angelo
--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 20, 2004 3:30:45 PM

Yeah I feel kinda cheated as this pdf was one of the main reasons I went
with the Canopus Storm2Pro and didn't buy a G5 with the FCP bundle which was
only 1000 more, and in hindsight would been a cooler system...Anyway what's
done is done, Canopus use false advertsising to rip off customers and sell
them their latest spiffy HD hardware etc..etc...Hopefully they come good
with the Premiere Pro drivers issues, since Edius for all its lovely
workflow is WAY lacking in the creative and audio capapbilities that
Premiere has..I'm not being forced nto becoming a wedding video geek becuase
of a Companie's lying marketing campagin, and WILL write letter of complaint
to consumer affairs departments, video editing magazines etc... if they
don't get their act together.
--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 20, 2004 3:32:01 PM

I'm pretty much dissapointed on how the Premiere Pro 1.5 drivers turned
out...

Believe me though, the U.S. team did alot to make it work. But for some
reason there is no clear answer on how Canopus Japan handled the situation.

--------------------
Abit IC7-G Max II, P4 3.0GHz HT, 1GB OCZ PC3200 DDR400 RAM, DVStorm2, 1
TeraByte Video, Windows XP Pro, AC97 snd (onboard), ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB,
StmEnc, A03, 2x 17" Sony LCD, FireWire/Analog, Premiere 6.5/After FX
6.5/Premiere Pro 1.5
December 21, 2004 3:21:09 AM

My suggestion is to remember. Remember these problems when it is time to go
HD and buy new equipment. I think Canopus has hurt it's reputation. I use my
two storm cards with 6.5, but it will be pretty hard for them to convince me
to buy the next generation from them.

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 21, 2004 4:40:53 AM

I am sold! Just bought the RT.x100 off ebay for $619 (no Premiere software
since I already have PPro). Luckily I can still return the DVStorm.

I have been using DVStorm for the past 2 weeks. The audio out of sync in
Premiere Pro is a major deal breaker. I don't use an external preview
monitor but dragging across timeline isn't as responsive as I used to work
with OHCI firewire. It also "slides" a few more frames when I stop dragging
the timeline.

I tried Edius 2.5. I'm not impress at all. No nested timeline... No
thumbnail view... It doesn't worth spending time to learn a new NLE that
doesn't provide at least the same feature as PPro.

bye bye Canopus... I learned my lesson
--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 23, 2004 1:28:28 AM

Quote:

Well, you can't make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time...
Nothing is perfect at end of life.

Quite frankly I am appalled at the lack of professionalism shown here.

I bought three of the Storm 2 Ultra bundles over a year ago and have been
waiting patiently ever since for Canopus to make up for their useless
initial Premiere Pro drivers.

When, after another 11 months of corporate silence, the current drivers
appeared, I was dismayed to find that the Canopus people seemed to have
missed the whole point of Premiere Pro as many of its new features remain
unsupported by the Canopus drivers.

I have now had enough. All of my Canopus products will be going on Ebay in
the New Year. This whole situation just makes me angry and I have lost all
respect for their brand. Furthermore, I am ashamed to have recommended
Canopus last year to friends who now all feel the same way I do.

There is no way I will buy another Canopus product.

--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
December 26, 2004 8:02:43 PM

Hey Mike

Not really, I was kidding as far as my post to a degree, but if companies
made a commitment to integrity and honor, they would make their products
work as advertised and that means by hook or crook, with no exceptions,
rather than hide behind the "it's old now" argument.

No company has the right to slack off of their responsibility to make their
products conform to the expectations that they gave to their prospects and
customers, it is just shameful.

And as far as Matrox is concerned, I see their forums and people are still
flying that old hardware trouble free. I just bought myself a Xmas present,
the RT.X100 Xtreme Pro from Guy graphics. I questioned whether my hardware
would be suitable and if they had any support problems. They told me that my
hardware was perfect and that they didn't have ANY support issues with the
RT.X100 Xtreme Pro! I asked them if that were the case for their Canopus
products and they told me that Storm works great with Edius, no problems,
but PPro.... Nothing But!

My point, a company has the right to declare end of life if the Life was as
promised, but to never get it right like the Storm, and then try to escape
responsibility.... I cry fowl.

Why do I care???

I still have an expensive firewire card called Storm2 and am still waiting
for it to work as advertised.

Why am I here??

Because I love you guys

What do I want from Canopus??

My money back, or free Edius so that I can at least use this thing the way
it is suppose to be used

We cannot allow companies to get away with nonperformance
--
(Copied From Canopus Forums)

http://forum.canopus.com/
!