how to truncate a DV-format AVI file

I have an enormous AVI file "captured" from a two-hour DV tape, and I just
want to throw out the last 30 minutes.

Is there any reasonable way to do this "in place". without writing a new file?

--
Bob Fleischer
Groton, MA 01450

terry

Yes Virtualdub can as can other NLE programs. A new file has to be created
one way or the other either the outputed AVI with the end deleted or the
DVD,SVCD,VCD, that does not have the bit chopped off. As it is the last
30mins of dv recorded tape only capture to ther point end-30mins. If you
have a dv camera there must be a bundled capture program use firewire or
usb2 to transfer just what you want. A pair of scissors won't work.
only joking.
Terry( A Guy From Oz)

"Bob Fleischer" <nospam-rjf@tiac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> I have an enormous AVI file "captured" from a two-hour DV tape, and I just
> want to throw out the last 30 minutes.
>
> Is there any reasonable way to do this "in place". without writing a new
file?

> --
> Bob Fleischer
> Groton, MA 01450

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:55:32 -0500, Bob Fleischer
<nospam-rjf@tiac.nospam.net> wrote:

>I have an enormous AVI file "captured" from a two-hour DV tape, and I just
>want to throw out the last 30 minutes.
>
>Is there any reasonable way to do this "in place". without writing a new file?

Yes, there is a reasonable way to do this, by just playing with the
Avi file structure, which could be easy to attain for a software
developer, but I do not believe there is actually any program that
does it.

BTW, the most I got to do (in the times when I enjoyed programming)
was to remove the junk chunks in an avi, but not cutting an Avi in
parts, so I'm afraid I cannot help. I'm just sure it should be easy
for a programmer.