Remote Desktop local/network printing will not work with XP

Remote Desktop Connection has a feature that lets you click in options so
that local printers are available when clients are connectred. In this cae
the remote serveris Windows 2003 and standard terminal services is enabled.

A windows 2000 pro box using the latest 6.0 release of remote desktop
connect can connect in and use local or network pritners for printing.
Windows XP home or Pro will only use printers hung off the Windows 2003 box.

To possible articles but they apply to windows 2000 so I'm not going to do
it without direction:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361&Product=win2000

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264039&Product=win2000

Of course if i try and install that new client on the XP box is says noooo,
can't do that there is abuilt in version in this OS.

Whats the trick here?

SEP
4 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop local network printing work

    Steven E Protter wrote:
    > Remote Desktop Connection has a feature that lets you click in
    > options so that local printers are available when clients are
    > connectred. In this cae the remote serveris Windows 2003 and standard
    > terminal services is enabled.
    >
    > A windows 2000 pro box using the latest 6.0 release of remote desktop
    > connect can connect in and use local or network pritners for printing.
    > Windows XP home or Pro will only use printers hung off the Windows
    > 2003 box.
    >
    > To possible articles but they apply to windows 2000 so I'm not going
    > to do it without direction:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361&Product=win2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264039&Product=win2000

    > Of course if i try and install that new client on the XP box is says
    > noooo, can't do that there is abuilt in version in this OS.

    You can install this one just fine...
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8255ffc-4b4a-40e7-a706-cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

    > Whats the trick here?
    >
    > SEP

    Interesting.

    I will try that version of Remote Desktop Connection.

    So I'm being told here that the built in version needs to
    be upgraded but I just didn't find the right upgrade?

    I will check the server event logs as well.

    There may have been a name conflict between the locally
    connected printer and the servers printer. Short term, I'm
    going to just move the darn printer off the server. Don't
    need it there anyway.

    SEP

    us;302361&Product=win2000

    us;264039&Product=win2000

    >> Of course if i try and install that new client on the
    XP box is says
    >> noooo, can't do that there is abuilt in version in this
    OS.

    >You can install this one just fine...
    >http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    FamilyID=a8255ffc-4b4a-40e7-a706-
    cde7e9b57e79&DisplayLang=en

    >> Whats the trick here?
    >>
    >> SEP
    >

    >.

    Are the printers connected to the XP Home and XP Pro machines the exact same
    printers as are attached to the working Windows 2000 boxes--and attached via
    the same type of port?

    Are there any relevant messages in the Windows server 2003 system event logs
    at the time the XP sessions connect?

    "Steven E Protter" <StevenEProtter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:5196A52E-D0A8-4DF8-B847-4CE14E7D07A3@microsoft.com...
    > Remote Desktop Connection has a feature that lets you click in options so
    > that local printers are available when clients are connectred. In this
    > cae
    > the remote serveris Windows 2003 and standard terminal services is
    > enabled.
    >
    > A windows 2000 pro box using the latest 6.0 release of remote desktop
    > connect can connect in and use local or network pritners for printing.
    > Windows XP home or Pro will only use printers hung off the Windows 2003
    > box.
    >
    > To possible articles but they apply to windows 2000 so I'm not going to do
    > it without direction:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302361&Product=win2000
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264039&Product=win2000
    >
    > Of course if i try and install that new client on the XP box is says
    > noooo,
    > can't do that there is abuilt in version in this OS.
    >
    > Whats the trick here?
    >
    > SEP

    Differing names in the INF files for the drivers will definitely prevent
    printer redirection. The ususal fix is to update the drivers at both the
    host and the client to the newest. However, with Windows Server 2003 as the
    host (or any server OS machine)--you need to be very careful to ensure that
    any drivers loaded are WHQL certified for server use.

    "Steven E Protter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Interesting.
    >
    > I will try that version of Remote Desktop Connection.
    >
    > So I'm being told here that the built in version needs to
    > be upgraded but I just didn't find the right upgrade?
    >
    > I will check the server event logs as well.
    >
    > There may have been a name conflict between the locally
    > connected printer and the servers printer. Short term, I'm
    > going to just move the darn printer off the server. Don't
    > need it there anyway.
    >
    > SEP

Remote Desktop Connection Windows Server 2003 Windows XP