Remote Desktop Connection

Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name entered into
the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen when
executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to be
unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the logon?
7 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection

    This works for me with XP hosts on a domain. What OS is on the host and is
    it in a domain or not?

    "Scott Laser" <Scott Laser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name entered
    > into
    > the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen
    > when
    > executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to be
    > unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the
    > logon?

    Per a post in the TS newsgroup, check

    This error is due to different crypto APIs on the different OS's.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 05:33:08 -0700, "Scott Laser" <Scott
    Laser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name entered into
    >the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen when
    >executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to be
    >unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the logon?

    Further study of this showed me that a change to the Group Policy on the host
    machine would allow me to perform this function. See KB article 324807, "How
    to use Group Policy to Configure Automatic Logon in Windows Server 2003
    Terminal Services"

    "Scott Laser" wrote:

    > Further study of this showed me that a change to the Group Policy on the host
    > machine would allow me to perform this function. See KB article 324807, "How
    > to use Group Policy to Configure Automatic Logon in Windows Server 2003
    > Terminal Services"
    >
    > "Scott Laser" wrote:
    >
    > > Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name entered into
    > > the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen when
    > > executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to be
    > > unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the logon?

    hey not work remote asstanice wont work huh

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    > This works for me with XP hosts on a domain. What OS is on the host and is
    > it in a domain or not?
    >
    > "Scott Laser" <Scott Laser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name entered
    > > into
    > > the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen
    > > when
    > > executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to be
    > > unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the
    > > logon?

    Want to try starting a new thread and explaining that a little better?

    If I understand you correctly, you are trying to use Remote Assistance, and
    having some unspecified difficulty. It'll help to lay out in detail just
    what you are trying to do--and what happens--what error message, etc.

    "WolfSloan_2004@msn" <WolfSloan_2004@msn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:90E0BBBD-A62B-4D97-BDE5-6024E0BF2F64@microsoft.com...
    > hey not work remote asstanice wont work huh
    >
    > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
    >
    >> This works for me with XP hosts on a domain. What OS is on the host and
    >> is
    >> it in a domain or not?
    >>
    >> "Scott Laser" <Scott Laser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name
    >> > entered
    >> > into
    >> > the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen
    >> > when
    >> > executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to
    >> > be
    >> > unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the
    >> > logon?

    To clarify:
    Host machine is a Windows 2003 server.
    Client is XP or Windows 2000 (with the RDC update downloaded).
    I am attempting to connect to the Windows 2003 host to run a script located
    on that host and want to perform the process without user intervention.
    Unfortunately without a local group policy change (see my previous thread on
    the KB article) on the 2003 host, executing my RDP file on a client machine
    takes me to a logon prompt on the Windows 2003 server that requires filling
    in the password manually(although this information was properly entered in
    the RDP file).
    The local group policy change on the Windows 2003 server allows me to logon
    to the server from a client using RDC without user intervention - perform
    the script after which the connection to the 2003 host closes.
    As an aside: I have since created a "Scheduled" task on the host machine
    that executes my local script. I send a command from my client to run this
    task as needed. I no longer need RDC to execute my script.
    Please note that the reason I had to resort to these methods was because
    some executables cannot be run from a remote machine and do not support even
    telnetting to a host to run - for instance the program I was trying to run
    was "devcon" to refresh specific hardware (in my case SCSI drives) on the
    host.

    "WolfSloan_2004@msn" wrote:

    > "Scott Laser" wrote:
    >
    > > Further study of this showed me that a change to the Group Policy on the host
    > > machine would allow me to perform this function. See KB article 324807, "How
    > > to use Group Policy to Configure Automatic Logon in Windows Server 2003
    > > Terminal Services"
    > >
    > > "Scott Laser" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Although I have a proper account name, password, and domain name entered into
    > > > the configuration dialog box of RDC, I still arrive at the logon screen when
    > > > executing the rdp file. I expected an additional logon (password) to be
    > > > unnecessary. Is the a configuration change that allows me to skip the logon?

Remote Desktop Connection Configuration Windows XP