Relaying signal from Wireless ADSL Router

I have a wireless ADSL Router (ZyXEL) supplied by my phone co. This is set
to work with their software and specific settings to give me DHCP for my
laptop. Supposedly it also allows internet access for my Pocket PC and for
my (currently being built) Desktop. The signal strength in the room where
the Desktop will be is "Very Low". Now I also have a Belkin wireless DSL /
Cable Router sitting doing nothing, but I know this can be put into WAP mode
and/or bridging mode. Can anyone help me with setting this up (TCP/IP etc.)
to relay the signal from the ZyXEL to the far end of the house.
BTW, yes I am getting other networks affecting my signal - I've been through
the very useful info on eliminating these at Tom's Networking Site. But it
remains that the signal strength is so low I keep losing my connection and
having to manually reconnect. I'm on XP pro SP2.

TIA

Rob
3 answers Last reply
More about relaying signal wireless adsl router

    I don't know how it would work using 2 different vendor products, but I have
    had excellent experience with a Belkin Gateway/Router F5D7230 for my
    internet connection and bridging it to a Belkin AP F5D7130, to extend my
    range (great signal strength and signal quality). The Belkin uses WDS
    protocol in bridging these 2 devices. In bridge mode the Gateway/Router
    gets the Mac address of the AP so the SSIDs don't need to be the same so you
    can "point" a client at the AP by giving them both a different SSID from the
    Gateway/Router. The AP has an IP of 192.168.2.254, outside the range of the
    Gateway Router (192.168.2.1) DHCP. 128WEP Encryption is set in
    Gateway/Router, AP and Clients.

    Mike

    "Rob Davies" <robdavies@terra.es> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless ADSL Router (ZyXEL) supplied by my phone co. This is set
    > to work with their software and specific settings to give me DHCP for my
    > laptop. Supposedly it also allows internet access for my Pocket PC and
    for
    > my (currently being built) Desktop. The signal strength in the room where
    > the Desktop will be is "Very Low". Now I also have a Belkin wireless DSL /
    > Cable Router sitting doing nothing, but I know this can be put into WAP
    mode
    > and/or bridging mode. Can anyone help me with setting this up (TCP/IP
    etc.)
    > to relay the signal from the ZyXEL to the far end of the house.
    > BTW, yes I am getting other networks affecting my signal - I've been
    through
    > the very useful info on eliminating these at Tom's Networking Site. But it
    > remains that the signal strength is so low I keep losing my connection and
    > having to manually reconnect. I'm on XP pro SP2.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    Cheers for that Mike. Will give it a whirl.

    Rob

    "Mike S" <msaltz@nospamgis.net> wrote in message
    >I don't know how it would work using 2 different vendor products, but I
    >have
    > had excellent experience with a Belkin Gateway/Router F5D7230 for my
    > internet connection and bridging it to a Belkin AP F5D7130, to extend my
    > range (great signal strength and signal quality). The Belkin uses WDS
    > protocol in bridging these 2 devices. In bridge mode the Gateway/Router
    > gets the Mac address of the AP so the SSIDs don't need to be the same so
    > you
    > can "point" a client at the AP by giving them both a different SSID from
    > the
    > Gateway/Router. The AP has an IP of 192.168.2.254, outside the range of
    > the
    > Gateway Router (192.168.2.1) DHCP. 128WEP Encryption is set in
    > Gateway/Router, AP and Clients.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > "Rob Davies" <robdavies@terra.es> wrote in message
    >> I have a wireless ADSL Router (ZyXEL) supplied by my phone co. This is
    >> set
    >> to work with their software and specific settings to give me DHCP for my
    >> laptop. Supposedly it also allows internet access for my Pocket PC and
    > for
    >> my (currently being built) Desktop. The signal strength in the room where
    >> the Desktop will be is "Very Low". Now I also have a Belkin wireless DSL
    >> /
    >> Cable Router sitting doing nothing, but I know this can be put into WAP
    > mode
    >> and/or bridging mode. Can anyone help me with setting this up (TCP/IP
    > etc.)
    >> to relay the signal from the ZyXEL to the far end of the house.
    >> BTW, yes I am getting other networks affecting my signal - I've been
    > through
    >> the very useful info on eliminating these at Tom's Networking Site. But
    >> it
    >> remains that the signal strength is so low I keep losing my connection
    >> and
    >> having to manually reconnect. I'm on XP pro SP2.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Rob

    why not try one of the many reflector u can make & fit to router ducks.
    they work well

    mike

    "Rob Davies" <robdavies@terra.es> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless ADSL Router (ZyXEL) supplied by my phone co. This is set
    > to work with their software and specific settings to give me DHCP for my
    > laptop. Supposedly it also allows internet access for my Pocket PC and
    for
    > my (currently being built) Desktop. The signal strength in the room where
    > the Desktop will be is "Very Low". Now I also have a Belkin wireless DSL /
    > Cable Router sitting doing nothing, but I know this can be put into WAP
    mode
    > and/or bridging mode. Can anyone help me with setting this up (TCP/IP
    etc.)
    > to relay the signal from the ZyXEL to the far end of the house.
    > BTW, yes I am getting other networks affecting my signal - I've been
    through
    > the very useful info on eliminating these at Tom's Networking Site. But it
    > remains that the signal strength is so low I keep losing my connection and
    > having to manually reconnect. I'm on XP pro SP2.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Rob

    ---

Wireless Routers Wireless Networking