Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 11, 2004 10:00:28 AM

Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player

I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
writer. It is fairly new.

I was trying to make a copy a DVD.

After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
It says "cannot play"

However the copied DVD will work on the same PC as well as on another
PC.
Why is that ?

I have used both an erasable DVD as well as a Non erasable DVD. Both do
not work on DVD players.

Can anyone pls help ?

I am not Technical so pls explain in more detail for folks like me.
Thanks'
Ava
December 11, 2004 1:04:27 PM

avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:
> Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player
>
> I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
> writer. It is fairly new.
>
> I was trying to make a copy a DVD.
>
> After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
> It says "cannot play"
>
> However the copied DVD will work on the same PC as well as on another
> PC.
> Why is that ?
>
> I have used both an erasable DVD as well as a Non erasable DVD. Both do
> not work on DVD players.
>
> Can anyone pls help ?
>
> I am not Technical so pls explain in more detail for folks like me.
> Thanks'
> Ava

It's probably just a media incompatibility problem. Some DVD players
don't like some brands of DVD recordable media. Try getting a couple of
different brands of blank DVDs and repeat the experiment until you find
a brand that your player likes.

Cheers,
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 1:04:28 PM

"Ritz" wrote ...
> It's probably just a media incompatibility problem. Some DVD players
> don't like some brands of DVD recordable media. Try getting a couple of
> different brands of blank DVDs and repeat the experiment until you find a
> brand that your player likes.

There may be specific information in the epic DVD player
compatibility table at www.videohelp.com Look up your
DVD player(s) and see what it says.
December 12, 2004 4:22:39 AM

On 11 Dec 2004 07:00:28 -0800, avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:

>cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player

There can be several reasons for this. First of all, not every DVD
player can play DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW. Second, not every brand of discs
play well on every desktop player. Some cheap DVD disc brands are
particularly prone to behave this way. Then, the burning speed is a
factor. A DVD disc burned at 1x or 2x may work, where it would fail
when burned at 4x.
Anonymous
December 23, 2004 2:33:04 PM

On 11 Dec 2004 07:00:28 -0800, avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:

>Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player
>
>I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
>writer. It is fairly new.
>
>I was trying to make a copy a DVD.
>
>After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
>It says "cannot play"

Are you burning a +R disc, by any chance? If you are, it may
be a matter of the book setting (i.e. How the disc identifies itself
to the player). There are many players which, while technically able
to read +R media, will kick the disc out as unreadable if it doesn't
recognize the +R or +RW booktype.
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!
Anonymous
December 24, 2004 3:03:21 AM

Ran into one a while back where DVD's would play on
all the players I tried. Burned a new DVD with some
extra files on it and all except 1 player would handle it
(same media, same burner etc.) turns out not only do the
video files have to be in the VIDEO_TS folder, but they
are supposed to be in the right order physically on the DVD.
Most players ignore that and will play them as long as they
are in the right folder. Nero 5.5.?? has the option of burning
to a DVD_Video template which puts them back in the right
order again. So many standards to chose from ... so little time !!
The one that was picky would not even load the disk ("no disk"
or some such message) until I reorganized the files then it was
perfectly happy with the video burned to the same brand of
media on the same burner.

mikey

!