Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player

Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player

I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
writer. It is fairly new.

I was trying to make a copy a DVD.

After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
It says "cannot play"

However the copied DVD will work on the same PC as well as on another
PC.
Why is that ?

I have used both an erasable DVD as well as a Non erasable DVD. Both do
not work on DVD players.

Can anyone pls help ?

I am not Technical so pls explain in more detail for folks like me.
Thanks'
Ava
5 answers Last reply
More about copy work player

    avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player
    >
    > I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
    > writer. It is fairly new.
    >
    > I was trying to make a copy a DVD.
    >
    > After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
    > It says "cannot play"
    >
    > However the copied DVD will work on the same PC as well as on another
    > PC.
    > Why is that ?
    >
    > I have used both an erasable DVD as well as a Non erasable DVD. Both do
    > not work on DVD players.
    >
    > Can anyone pls help ?
    >
    > I am not Technical so pls explain in more detail for folks like me.
    > Thanks'
    > Ava

    It's probably just a media incompatibility problem. Some DVD players
    don't like some brands of DVD recordable media. Try getting a couple of
    different brands of blank DVDs and repeat the experiment until you find
    a brand that your player likes.

    Cheers,

    "Ritz" wrote ...
    > It's probably just a media incompatibility problem. Some DVD players
    > don't like some brands of DVD recordable media. Try getting a couple of
    > different brands of blank DVDs and repeat the experiment until you find a
    > brand that your player likes.

    There may be specific information in the epic DVD player
    compatibility table at www.videohelp.com Look up your
    DVD player(s) and see what it says.

    On 11 Dec 2004 07:00:28 -0800, avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:

    >cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player

    There can be several reasons for this. First of all, not every DVD
    player can play DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW. Second, not every brand of discs
    play well on every desktop player. Some cheap DVD disc brands are
    particularly prone to behave this way. Then, the burning speed is a
    factor. A DVD disc burned at 1x or 2x may work, where it would fail
    when burned at 4x.

    On 11 Dec 2004 07:00:28 -0800, avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player
    >
    >I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
    >writer. It is fairly new.
    >
    >I was trying to make a copy a DVD.
    >
    >After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
    >It says "cannot play"

    Are you burning a +R disc, by any chance? If you are, it may
    be a matter of the book setting (i.e. How the disc identifies itself
    to the player). There are many players which, while technically able
    to read +R media, will kick the disc out as unreadable if it doesn't
    recognize the +R or +RW booktype.
    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!

    Ran into one a while back where DVD's would play on
    all the players I tried. Burned a new DVD with some
    extra files on it and all except 1 player would handle it
    (same media, same burner etc.) turns out not only do the
    video files have to be in the VIDEO_TS folder, but they
    are supposed to be in the right order physically on the DVD.
    Most players ignore that and will play them as long as they
    are in the right folder. Nero 5.5.?? has the option of burning
    to a DVD_Video template which puts them back in the right
    order again. So many standards to chose from ... so little time !!
    The one that was picky would not even load the disk ("no disk"
    or some such message) until I reorganized the files then it was
    perfectly happy with the video burned to the same brand of
    media on the same burner.

    mikey

    "Neil Nadelman" <arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)> wrote in message
    > On 11 Dec 2004 07:00:28 -0800, avacohen100@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > >Pls Help - cannot get copy of DVD to work on DVD player
    > >
    > >I have an Intel HT PC with Windows XP. It has a CD/DVD Reader and
    > >writer. It is fairly new.
    > >
    > >I was trying to make a copy a DVD.
    > >
    > >After copying the DVD will not work on a DVD player.
    > >It says "cannot play"
    >
    > Are you burning a +R disc, by any chance? If you are, it may
    > be a matter of the book setting (i.e. How the disc identifies itself
    > to the player). There are many players which, while technically able
    > to read +R media, will kick the disc out as unreadable if it doesn't
    > recognize the +R or +RW booktype.
    > Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    > I have no fears in life,
    > for I have already survived Theta-G!