where is VPN Log file for IP of succesfull connections?

Jd

Ive looked in Eventviewer/system, with log-all ticked, but it doesnt show
succesfull connections nor IP of incomming client PC.

Where can I aquire this info?

Thanks JD

I don't think you'll find the IP in the logs. You should find successful
logins in the security log, if you have enabled logging that.

Generally, to get the IP information, you need logging of successful
connections enabled in a firewall or router log. That information should be
there and is often logged in usable form but this depends on the router
vendor. The ICF and Windows firewalls can be configured to log successful
connections. You then need to weed out the correct entries and compare the
logs.

I've never tried to do this myself, but that's the route I'd approach it
from.

"JD" <jd@thejd.co.ukSPAM> wrote in message
> Ive looked in Eventviewer/system, with log-all ticked, but it doesnt show
> succesfull connections nor IP of incomming client PC.
>
> Where can I aquire this info?
>
> Thanks JD

Jd

SP-2 firewall does log connections but only outgoing, whats stange is that I
dont have the success logs in Event viewer. I can see the ones that failed
from my PPC, but no succesfull ones. Im enabling (figuring) logging on my
router to see if can do better.

Strange though Im sure XP use to log succesfull incomming connections before
SP2

"Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>I don't think you'll find the IP in the logs. You should find successful
>logins in the security log, if you have enabled logging that.
>
> Generally, to get the IP information, you need logging of successful
> connections enabled in a firewall or router log. That information should
> be there and is often logged in usable form but this depends on the router
> vendor. The ICF and Windows firewalls can be configured to log successful
> connections. You then need to weed out the correct entries and compare
> the logs.
>
> I've never tried to do this myself, but that's the route I'd approach it
> from.
>
> "JD" <jd@thejd.co.ukSPAM> wrote in message
>> Ive looked in Eventviewer/system, with log-all ticked, but it doesnt show
>> succesfull connections nor IP of incomming client PC.
>>
>> Where can I aquire this info?
>>
>> Thanks JD

The setting for logins allows logging of success, failure, or both. You
want both enabled.

I'll see if I can test the firewall logs. I had thought that if you logged
successful connections it would give you inbound connections. It certainly
logs dropped packets inbound.

> SP-2 firewall does log connections but only outgoing, whats stange is that
> I dont have the success logs in Event viewer. I can see the ones that
> failed from my PPC, but no succesfull ones. Im enabling (figuring) logging
> on my router to see if can do better.
>
> Strange though Im sure XP use to log succesfull incomming connections
> before SP2
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>>I don't think you'll find the IP in the logs. You should find successful
>>logins in the security log, if you have enabled logging that.
>>
>> Generally, to get the IP information, you need logging of successful
>> connections enabled in a firewall or router log. That information should
>> be there and is often logged in usable form but this depends on the
>> router vendor. The ICF and Windows firewalls can be configured to log
>> successful connections. You then need to weed out the correct entries
>> and compare the logs.
>>
>> I've never tried to do this myself, but that's the route I'd approach it
>> from.
>>
>> "JD" <jd@thejd.co.ukSPAM> wrote in message
>>> Ive looked in Eventviewer/system, with log-all ticked, but it doesnt
>>> show succesfull connections nor IP of incomming client PC.
>>>
>>> Where can I aquire this info?
>>>
>>> Thanks JD

Jd

I promise I have LOG ALL tciked in event viewer and am connecting using my
PPC-VPN. But theres no logs of the succesfull connections, ive tried
rebooting and not having event viewer open when making the VPN connection
etc to no avail.

Is this one for the acceleration team I wonder?