Should I Make the Switch

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been running win98se for some time now because of its evolved reliability. I just recently upgraded my computer to a super fast machine and have been wondering if I should jump on the bandwagon to Win ME. I am sure win ME can utilize RAM better than win98se resulting in increased performance, but I question how reliable Me is at this point. Microsoft usually has issues with newer OS's. What is your opinion? I am about to buy some fast RAM, so your opinions will help me decide to go with 256meg or 512meg PC150 CAS2.

1.2gig TBird @1.33
Abit KT7A RAID
2 IBM 30gigs RAIDed
394meg CAS3 PC133
Asus V7700 deluxe GF2 GTS
16x Pioneer DVD
Yamaha 2100e 16x CDR
NEC FE950+

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Win Me is just '98 with extra bits, it is not a 'new' O/S.

If the extra's are of no use to you, then don't bother.

I don't think Me handles memory any differently to previous 9x releases.

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I think that you should stick to Windows 98 SE. If you're comfortable with the reliablility, then don't change a good thing. I do remember reading something about RAM, that 256MB is more than enough. But, if you're thinking about upgrading to XP, then get the 512MB, because I think it requires 128MB. (And, if you have the money...I guess you can go for it.)

If you work with a lot of graphics, then I'd suggest 512MB RAM. If not, then 256MB will be plenty. I ran like every program I could and my computer was still running fast. I was running Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, Winamp, RealPlayer, Hotline Client, MS Word, MS Excel, HP MyCD, Acrobat Reader, MSN Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger, and Tiny Personal Firewall. At 43% resources, I was multitasking as quick as when just running one or two programs.

I hope that's decent advice... :eek:

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Plus, if you haven't read any reviews about Windows Me, it tries to leave DOS out. If you do any low level stuff, it's easier to just stick with Windows 98SE.

<i>OC...unless your computer's cheezy (is that a good rhyme?)</i> :eek: