Sign in with
Your question

BSOD on boot after Windows 8 install

Last response: in Windows 8
November 15, 2012 1:24:54 AM

So, getting the chance to try Windows 8 for free by being a CS student, I decided to install it. I installed it on a separate partition, didn't like it, and continued using windows 7. Later that day, my laptop BSOD'd in windows 7 with the error BAD BOOT CALLER. Any attempt to boot after that, whether using windows 8, or windows 7 recovery, results in the BSOD.

I am only able to boot when booting off of usb with Ubuntu. I am unable to access any system drives while booting in Ubuntu.
Also, When running memtest, my laptop restarts near the beginning of the test.

I'm not sure if Windows 8 caused the problem or if it's just an extremely coincidental hardware failure that happened the same day I installed Win8; I doubt the later. I researched the BSOD online, and it's usually attributed with a memory or harddrive failure. But noting the circumstances, I am very suspicious of windows 8. I have no way of formatting the drive for a fresh win7 install. If anyone can help me troubleshoot or fix the problem, it is greatly appreciated.
November 15, 2012 2:26:09 PM

Quote:

Hardware problem. Either motherboard, Power supply, or RAM.

First off, lets try and get memtest working. Remove all the RAM sticks except one, and see if you can at least get memtest to work. If not, then try a different stick. Failing that, try a different RAM slot.

Windows should not have any effect on memtest, and if memtest isn't even able to run, you almost certainly have a H/W problem.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 3:11:33 PM

does sound like hardware issue. Just in case you can also
run
sfc.exe /scannow
to check your core OS files for corruption
or run startup repair to fix corruptions in the master boot record
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 7:40:40 PM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:

Hardware problem. Either motherboard, Power supply, or RAM.

First off, lets try and get memtest working. Remove all the RAM sticks except one, and see if you can at least get memtest to work. If not, then try a different stick. Failing that, try a different RAM slot.

Windows should not have any effect on memtest, and if memtest isn't even able to run, you almost certainly have a H/W problem.

No luck, I only have one RAM stick, and trying a different RAM slot didn't work. Also, if it was a motherboard, power supply, or RAM problem, wouldn't Ubuntu be unable to run from usb?

johnbl said:
does sound like hardware issue. Just in case you can also
run
sfc.exe /scannow
to check your core OS files for corruption
or run startup repair to fix corruptions in the master boot record

I'm unable to get into any command prompt to do this
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 9:42:45 PM

if you can not boot and get a command prompt then you have to boot a repair image or

check bcdedit /?
maybe bootsec.exe /? to see how to put the system and mbr sectors on your drive

sorry, been too long for me to remember the exact syntax
m
l
November 16, 2012 12:23:49 AM

johnbl said:
if you can not boot and get a command prompt then you have to boot a repair image or

check bcdedit /?
maybe bootsec.exe /? to see how to put the system and mbr sectors on your drive

sorry, been too long for me to remember the exact syntax

Booting from a repair disk results in the same BSOD.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 16, 2012 2:11:19 AM

You are getting a corrupt data image being fed into your CPU.
If a data image from a USB works as expected and
a image from cd rom and hard drive are corrupt I would expect that you are having
a SATA controller failure. First thing I would check it the BIOS setting for the IDE mode of the SATA controller. This assumes your cd is also on the SATA bus.
Second thing to try is move your cables to another port on the same contoller or a second controller if you have one. Not very likely to be a RAM or cache or CPU failure if you can boot a USB image.
m
l
November 16, 2012 11:14:01 PM

johnbl said:
You are getting a corrupt data image being fed into your CPU.
If a data image from a USB works as expected and
a image from cd rom and hard drive are corrupt I would expect that you are having
a SATA controller failure. First thing I would check it the BIOS setting for the IDE mode of the SATA controller. This assumes your cd is also on the SATA bus.
Second thing to try is move your cables to another port on the same contoller or a second controller if you have one. Not very likely to be a RAM or cache or CPU failure if you can boot a USB image.

I don't think so. I can successfully read and burn cds while booted in Ubuntu, and, and I'm sure the dvd drive uses sata too. Also, I'm using a laptop, so I have no other ports.

I also got memtest working by burning my own disc instead of using somebody else's. No errors.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 17, 2012 4:13:12 AM

Reading the files while booted in Ubuntu indicates that your mode of your SATA controller matches the mode that Ubuntu is setup for.
Your SATA controller does not look to be broken, just set for the wrong mode for the drivers that are selected for your OS image. I would just toggle the IDE mode to AHCI in the BIOS and see if my windows OS boots. What laptop do you have anyway? and what BIOS mode is your IDE set to?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 17, 2012 5:05:55 AM

^^^ good call...
also, sounds like you may have corrupted the MFT or boot block... if you have it try hyrens boot cd it may help you repair the hdds boot order.
m
l
November 17, 2012 5:16:47 AM

johnbl said:
Reading the files while booted in Ubuntu indicates that your mode of your SATA controller matches the mode that Ubuntu is setup for.
Your SATA controller does not look to be broken, just set for the wrong mode for the drivers that are selected for your OS image. I would just toggle the IDE mode to AHCI in the BIOS and see if my windows OS boots. What laptop do you have anyway? and what BIOS mode is your IDE set to?

Lenovo e420, I do not have any IDE controllers. I tried messing with sata controller bios settings, no difference.

I also like to note that I installed Ubuntu alongside everything else, and Ubuntu seems to be working fine. I can even access and backup my files on the hdd. I'm starting to think this is a problem caused by Win8, and not a hardware problem. Maybe a driver problem?

Should I just format and install windows 7 now that I got my files backed up, removing every trace of windows 8? Grub says windows 8 boots from a system_drv partition, which was initially hidden in windows, while windows 7 boots from my main partition. Does this mean I have to mess around with my MBR to completely cleanse from win8?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 17, 2012 7:21:06 PM

Zombeh said:
Lenovo e420, I do not have any IDE controllers. I tried messing with sata controller bios settings, no difference.

I also like to note that I installed Ubuntu alongside everything else, and Ubuntu seems to be working fine. I can even access and backup my files on the hdd. I'm starting to think this is a problem caused by Win8, and not a hardware problem. Maybe a driver problem?

Should I just format and install windows 7 now that I got my files backed up, removing every trace of windows 8? Grub says windows 8 boots from a system_drv partition, which was initially hidden in windows, while windows 7 boots from my main partition. Does this mean I have to mess around with my MBR to completely cleanse from win8?

I understand you do not have a IDE controller. We were talking about a SATA controller in IDE emulation mode or in ACHI mode. Your everything you have indicated would be expected if you installed Windows 8 with ACHI mode and changed the SATA controller to IDE mode. If you install windows in IDE mode, then change the mode to ACHI then windows will load those drivers. When you change the mode back to IDE mode windows will have probems when the ACHI drivers are loaded.

If you reinstall windows 7 it should work if you never toggle the IDE mode of the SATA controller. If you do, the OS will detect the change in mode and load different drivers and you will be back to where you are now.
m
l
November 18, 2012 6:24:39 AM

johnbl said:
I understand you do not have a IDE controller. We were talking about a SATA controller in IDE emulation mode or in ACHI mode. Your everything you have indicated would be expected if you installed Windows 8 with ACHI mode and changed the SATA controller to IDE mode. If you install windows in IDE mode, then change the mode to ACHI then windows will load those drivers. When you change the mode back to IDE mode windows will have probems when the ACHI drivers are loaded.

If you reinstall windows 7 it should work if you never toggle the IDE mode of the SATA controller. If you do, the OS will detect the change in mode and load different drivers and you will be back to where you are now.

MY sata controller has another mode other than ACHI called compatability mode, I'm assuming thats the same as IDE? Also, I never changed the BIOS settings prior, during, or after Windows 8 installation.

Anyways, I used linux to format my drive, isntalled win7 and now everything works fine, problem solved. I just won't touch win8 again so I don't get another completely unbootable system.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 18, 2012 2:53:56 PM

Zombeh said:
MY sata controller has another mode other than ACHI called compatability mode, I'm assuming thats the same as IDE? Also, I never changed the BIOS settings prior, during, or after Windows 8 installation.

Anyways, I used linux to format my drive, isntalled win7 and now everything works fine, problem solved. I just won't touch win8 again so I don't get another completely unbootable system.

The same thing will happen on windows 7 if the mode ever gets changed without you knowing it. Often this happens right after someone updated a BIOS, or made changes, overclock fails, ... and go back to the defaults.

When this occurs the root reason for not being able to boot the OS is due to the OS having a autoinstall of hardware device drivers turned on.
m
l
!