Premiere Pro won't play video in Timeline but Source is OK

stuck

I have some short .AVI video clips I want to use as a background.
They play just fine in Premiere Pro source and preview window but when
I drop them on the time line (render even so red line tuns green)
there is no video. Just black screen.

If it can play in preview, why not in the end product?

Are you using a hardware codec card? Premiere will playback non-hardware
specific codec video on the timeline using the proper codec for the video
file just fine. When you render to your source hardware codec the hardware
takes over in the process and reads the original video from that aspect,
therefore yielding completely black picture information - because the source
as read by the codec hardware has no picture information.

If this is your scenerio the way to get playback from the new file is to
start a new project using generalized settings, like Video for Windows with
frame resolution, etc. matching the original video files. Once on the
timeline then render out to the hardware codec for playback on that target.
If the hardware scenerio is not what you have then most likely you have the
playback codec for the original video but not the encoding codec. For
instance, Canopus has a codec which can be loaded for playback of their
video files on a system without the Canopus hardware. It will playback the
video but not encode video.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions