Windows XP SP2 and Remote Desktop Connections

Hi All;

I've just installed Windows XP SP2 (for my sins!!) and I can now longer get
Remote Desktop Connections to work over VPN sessions. They still work on
the local LAN, but not remotly. I have tried to turn the Microsoft Firewall
off, create exception lists etc etc, but to no avail!!

Is anyone else having this problem or are there some more settings that i
need to play with to get this working?

Cheers

Ian
ian@ianiball.com
3 answers Last reply
More about windows remote desktop connections

    It's other peoples sins that the firewall is helpful for, rather than your
    own, generally.

    Can you say more about exactly how you are connecting? Is this a VPN from
    home to a work network? Can you ping your workstation via the VPN
    connection? Turning the firewall off, should, of course, do just that--so
    it seems like there might be some other issue here.

    It isn't SP2, per se, and particularly it isn't even SP2 on your machine
    since you say that RD works fine over the LAN.

    "news.microsoft.com" <ian@ianiball.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All;
    >
    > I've just installed Windows XP SP2 (for my sins!!) and I can now longer
    > get Remote Desktop Connections to work over VPN sessions. They still work
    > on the local LAN, but not remotly. I have tried to turn the Microsoft
    > Firewall off, create exception lists etc etc, but to no avail!!
    >
    > Is anyone else having this problem or are there some more settings that i
    > need to play with to get this working?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ian
    > ian@ianiball.com

    Bit more detail for you..

    I'm using an Broadband Internet connection secured by Microsoft ISA

    Server. RD connections via VPN worked prior to installing SP2 on my

    machine and nothing else has changed to the config on my machine. I

    support many of our customers remotely by connecting to their networks

    via VPN then using RD to connect to their servers, so this is becoming a

    nightmare as you can imagine!

    Any help would be gratefully received!!

    Ian

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > It's other peoples sins that the firewall is helpful for, rather than your
    > own, generally.
    >
    > Can you say more about exactly how you are connecting? Is this a VPN from
    > home to a work network? Can you ping your workstation via the VPN
    > connection? Turning the firewall off, should, of course, do just that--so
    > it seems like there might be some other issue here.
    >
    > It isn't SP2, per se, and particularly it isn't even SP2 on your machine
    > since you say that RD works fine over the LAN.
    >
    > "news.microsoft.com" <ian@ianiball.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All;
    >>
    >> I've just installed Windows XP SP2 (for my sins!!) and I can now longer
    >> get Remote Desktop Connections to work over VPN sessions. They still
    >> work on the local LAN, but not remotly. I have tried to turn the
    >> Microsoft Firewall off, create exception lists etc etc, but to no avail!!
    >>
    >> Is anyone else having this problem or are there some more settings that i
    >> need to play with to get this working?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian
    >> ian@ianiball.com

    Sorry, a bit more information for you. Once I have created the connection I
    can communicate with the remote network, I can ping the servers I'm trying
    to connect to, I can even create secure channel connection to the servers
    i.e \\servername\ipc$ /user:domain\user password and connect to resources on
    that server, but not the RD!!

    Hope this gives you a bit more of an idea because it's baffling me little
    old brain!!

    Cheers

    Ian

    "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
    > It's other peoples sins that the firewall is helpful for, rather than your
    > own, generally.
    >
    > Can you say more about exactly how you are connecting? Is this a VPN from
    > home to a work network? Can you ping your workstation via the VPN
    > connection? Turning the firewall off, should, of course, do just that--so
    > it seems like there might be some other issue here.
    >
    > It isn't SP2, per se, and particularly it isn't even SP2 on your machine
    > since you say that RD works fine over the LAN.
    >
    > "news.microsoft.com" <ian@ianiball.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi All;
    >>
    >> I've just installed Windows XP SP2 (for my sins!!) and I can now longer
    >> get Remote Desktop Connections to work over VPN sessions. They still
    >> work on the local LAN, but not remotly. I have tried to turn the
    >> Microsoft Firewall off, create exception lists etc etc, but to no avail!!
    >>
    >> Is anyone else having this problem or are there some more settings that i
    >> need to play with to get this working?
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Ian
    >> ian@ianiball.com