external/internal HDD question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2004 9:58:51 PM

Is there a difference when it comes to video editing?
I thought I had heard that an internal HDD has a faster response to due
to the fact that it is directly connected to the PCI bus. Whereas an
external drive lags in comparison because of the USB or Firewire
connection.
December 13, 2004 2:03:35 AM

stygianaxeman@yahoo.com wrote:
> Is there a difference when it comes to video editing?
> I thought I had heard that an internal HDD has a faster response to due
> to the fact that it is directly connected to the PCI bus. Whereas an
> external drive lags in comparison because of the USB or Firewire
> connection.

Unless you're using a USB enclosure for the external interface, the hard
drive's speed is usually the limiting factor. An external SCSI
enclosure is just as fast as an internal one. I hear there are external
SATA enclosures these days too, but I've not tried one myself. Firewire
has enough bandwidth to handle an external disk without incident.

Cheers,
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:05:17 AM

<stygianaxeman@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is there a difference when it comes to video editing?
> I thought I had heard that an internal HDD has a faster response to due
> to the fact that it is directly connected to the PCI bus. Whereas an
> external drive lags in comparison because of the USB or Firewire
> connection.

This is true.
Firewire is a little faster than USB, but not nearly as fast as an IDE
connection.
SATA drives can be connected externally to an SATA controller without
performance penalty.

Firewire and USB are fast enough for simple editing jobs involving the DV
format.
!