My .avi won't fit into a DVD

I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.

I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink it
either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.

John Dalberg

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:59:22 -0800, John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
>burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
>and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.
>
>I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
>decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink it
>either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
>seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
>software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.

You can try TMPGEnc from www.pegasys-inc.com (freeware, shareware and
trial version available) to encode it to dvd-compliant MPEG. TMPGEnc
will indicate how much space is needed on the dvd with a given set of
adjustments to the programs options. Have fun with it.

rs

No, there is a secret hidden 4 gig's of data hiding in the file. A 600Meg
Avi is just a 600 Meg Avi. Compression is done by analysing and then
removing and tossing away information and once its gone, it dosen't come
back through any decoding process.

Your DVD failure has to be due to some other reason.

"John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
> burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
> and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.
>
> I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
> decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink
it
> either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
> seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
> software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.
>
> John Dalberg

<The avi is about 600M>

Do you mean 6oo minutes?

If so that equals 10hours.

AFAIK the most you can squeeze onto one disc is 6hrs at EP compression with
basic menus.

HTH

Ian

========

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:50:56 -0000, Ian Roberts wrote:

> <The avi is about 600M>
>
> Do you mean 6oo minutes?
>
> If so that equals 10hours.
>
> AFAIK the most you can squeeze onto one disc is 6hrs at EP compression with
> basic menus.
>
> HTH

600 megs disk space.

--

wrote:

>I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
>burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
>and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.
>
>I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
>decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink it
>either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
>seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
>software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.

You need to read up a bit more on how to make DVDs. That AVI
has to be converted to an MPEG video file, and Ulead Moviemaker is
probably set to do high-quality encoding which takes up more space
than the running time of your AVI allows. DVD Shrink is a program
intended to shrink DVD MPEG files to fit on DVD-Rs, so it's useless
for what you need. What you want is an MPEG encoder and DVD authoring
package. Have you checked out WInAVI? I hear it's a fairly good (if
simplistic) one-step program.
Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
I have no fears in life,
for I have already survived Theta-G!