My .avi won't fit into a DVD

I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.

I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink it
either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.

John Dalberg
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:59:22 -0800, John Dalberg <john_dd@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
    >burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
    >and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.
    >
    >I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
    >decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink it
    >either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
    >seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
    >software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.

    You can try TMPGEnc from www.pegasys-inc.com (freeware, shareware and
    trial version available) to encode it to dvd-compliant MPEG. TMPGEnc
    will indicate how much space is needed on the dvd with a given set of
    adjustments to the programs options. Have fun with it.

    No, there is a secret hidden 4 gig's of data hiding in the file. A 600Meg
    Avi is just a 600 Meg Avi. Compression is done by analysing and then
    removing and tossing away information and once its gone, it dosen't come
    back through any decoding process.

    Your DVD failure has to be due to some other reason.

    "John Dalberg" <john_dd@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
    > burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
    > and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.
    >
    > I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
    > decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink
    it
    > either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
    > seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
    > software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.
    >
    > John Dalberg

    <The avi is about 600M>

    Do you mean 6oo minutes?

    If so that equals 10hours.

    AFAIK the most you can squeeze onto one disc is 6hrs at EP compression with
    basic menus.

    HTH

    Ian

    ========

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:50:56 -0000, Ian Roberts wrote:

    > <The avi is about 600M>
    >
    > Do you mean 6oo minutes?
    >
    > If so that equals 10hours.
    >
    > AFAIK the most you can squeeze onto one disc is 6hrs at EP compression with
    > basic menus.
    >
    > HTH

    600 megs disk space.

    --
    John Dalberg

    wrote:

    >I have a video in an .avi format. The avi is about 600M. I am trying to
    >burn it into a Video DVD. I tried UleadMovie maker and Roxio DVD Creator
    >and both indicated it won't fit into a 4.7 DVD.
    >
    >I guess the AVI has a high bit rate or something that's causing it to be
    >decoded into large file. What software can I use to decode it and shrink it
    >either with VBR method or using a lower bitrate? I tried DVD Shrink but it
    >seems it works only with DVD images, not AVI's. If there's a DVD burner
    >software that decodes, shrinks, burns in one stage, that would be perfect.

    You need to read up a bit more on how to make DVDs. That AVI
    has to be converted to an MPEG video file, and Ulead Moviemaker is
    probably set to do high-quality encoding which takes up more space
    than the running time of your AVI allows. DVD Shrink is a program
    intended to shrink DVD MPEG files to fit on DVD-Rs, so it's useless
    for what you need. What you want is an MPEG encoder and DVD authoring
    package. Have you checked out WInAVI? I hear it's a fairly good (if
    simplistic) one-step program.
    Neil Nadelman arvy@navzr-genafyngbe.pbz (ROT13)
    I have no fears in life,
    for I have already survived Theta-G!