Unsuccessful VPN connection using Windows XP Home/SP1

Hello everyone. I am trying to troubleshoot a problem with connecting to the
network at work from home. I have Windows XP Home edition with SP1 and after
I set up the VPN connection properties using the wizard, I get the following
error when trying to connect:

"The remote computer does not support the required data encryption type"

I talked to the local admin and he says the VPN server uses PPTP. I tried
disabling the firewall on my home PC and still no success. Has anyone
experienced this problem?
--
Don

Does your admin have experience with other Windows XP users connecting using
the native VPN capabilities?

The firewall isn't interfering with a PPTP VPN connection outbound.

On the networking tab of properties of the VPN connection, you can
explicitly set PPTP instead of "automatic."

Do you know what kind of device you are connecting to at the host end?

This message can occur if you are attempting L2TP/IPSEC:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314831

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> Does your admin have experience with other Windows XP users connecting using
> the native VPN capabilities?

Not that I know of. He didn't mention having any problems with Windows XP
users. He is on vacation this week, so that is all I can say.

> The firewall isn't interfering with a PPTP VPN connection outbound.

OK

> On the networking tab of properties of the VPN connection, you can
> explicitly set PPTP instead of "automatic."

I tried that as well, same problem.

> Do you know what kind of device you are connecting to at the host end?
I'm pretty sure it is a Windows 2000 Server machine.

> This message can occur if you are attempting L2TP/IPSEC:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314831

I don't think I am attempting L2TP/IPSEC and I still get the same problem
when explicitly setting PPTP. As far as I know this is the protocol being
used by the host.