Windows XP and digital cameras

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 1, 2005 10:16:04 PM

I have an aunt who is planning to buy a digital camera before embarking
on a overseas vacation. She's not sure what model to get yet. Whatever
camera she eventually buys, will I be able to upload those pics on my
Windows XP SP2 computer using the Scanner & Camera Wizard? After she
returns from the trip, our house will be one of the 1st places she visits,
and I'd like to be able to upload the photos from her camera to my computer
without installing any software.
May 1, 2005 11:29:36 PM

History Fan wrote:
> I have an aunt who is planning to buy a digital camera before
> embarking on a overseas vacation. She's not sure what model to get
> yet. Whatever camera she eventually buys, will I be able to upload
> those pics on my Windows XP SP2 computer using the Scanner & Camera
> Wizard? After she returns from the trip, our house will be one of
> the 1st places she visits, and I'd like to be able to upload the
> photos from her camera to my computer without installing any software.

If you find out what media the camera will use you can be ready to transfer
the photos from the memory card to your hard drive with a reader.

J.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:34:09 AM

"History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I have an aunt who is planning to buy a digital camera before
> embarking on a overseas vacation. She's not sure what model to get yet.
> Whatever camera she eventually buys, will I be able to upload those pics
> on my Windows XP SP2 computer using the Scanner & Camera Wizard? After
> she returns from the trip, our house will be one of the 1st places she
> visits, and I'd like to be able to upload the photos from her camera to my
> computer without installing any software.

For some cameras, no extra software is needed, Windows XP SP2 has a lot of
Drivers built in for USB Mass Storage Cameras.

If not, you probably can get the driver from the camera manufacturers web
site.
Why not have your aunt bring her Camera driver CD when she comes?

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

guys
got me a canon a 80 last july. have taken nearly 3000 pics with it...use a
sandisk 250mb compact flash card.....
love the camera....several have been published...have made tee shirts,
glossy photos, sent pics home from bar harbor me, made cdrw disks...take
pics for the clubs i belong to.....one heck of a hobby...use it at it lowest
settings......read the manual that came with it cover to cover....set the
camera up to what i like.....carry it on a camera case attached to my
belt.....matched the camera to a Dell 4600 and Hewlett Packard 2175 all in
one printer.....all those pixels u dont need if sending over the
internet.....proved to be a rugged camera...dropped it on the rocks the 2nd
day i had it at bar harbor.....if traveling bring extra batteries....and
read the manual well.....
my only complaint it is sometimes too big at 7 oz....sony has a couple of
digitals that are neat and compact...u might want to check them out
also....one thing to note...the hp software is better and simpler to use
than the canon software that came with it......
crusty old feller
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 1:47:03 PM

Greetings History,

I would think you can. XP has a lot of drivers included. Knowing what
camera she has is the key. Find out the name and model of her camera and go
to the website for that camera and learn more about it. When she returns,
you can have things setup so you can simply plug in the camera and download
to your system. Be sure you do not remove the images completely when she
leaves so she has a copy of everything.

If you have a Kodak camera you can download and install EasyShare. If you do
not want the program, you can download and install just the CCS or Camera
Connection Software. Other makers likely have similar options?

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I have an aunt who is planning to buy a digital camera before
embarking
> on a overseas vacation. She's not sure what model to get yet. Whatever
> camera she eventually buys, will I be able to upload those pics on my
> Windows XP SP2 computer using the Scanner & Camera Wizard? After she
> returns from the trip, our house will be one of the 1st places she visits,
> and I'd like to be able to upload the photos from her camera to my
computer
> without installing any software.

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:18:28 AM

I assume you will (or she will, based on your advice) get at least one
512 meg (or larger) memory card for the camera? If she goes with the
card that typically comes with the camera, she will get about 15 to 25
shots, and then "no memory available" or similar error. OOPS!

"History Fan" <Ihatespam@ireallyreallyhateSPAM.com> wrote:
> I have an aunt who is planning to buy a digital camera before embarking
>on a overseas vacation. She's not sure what model to get yet. Whatever
>camera she eventually buys, will I be able to upload those pics on my
>Windows XP SP2 computer using the Scanner & Camera Wizard? After she
>returns from the trip, our house will be one of the 1st places she visits,
>and I'd like to be able to upload the photos from her camera to my computer
>without installing any software.

Anonymous
May 6, 2005 2:43:57 AM

On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:18:28 -0400, "bounce@email.com"
<bounce@email.com> wrote:

>I assume you will (or she will, based on your advice) get at least one
>512 meg (or larger) memory card for the camera? If she goes with the
>card that typically comes with the camera, she will get about 15 to 25
>shots, and then "no memory available" or similar error. OOPS!

Are they still shipping 16MB card with most camera if it doesn't use
internal memory? The last new camera I got, it came with 16MB and ran
out after only 7 shots. :p  (5mp camera on high quality setting)

My Kodak 3.1mp (still have it, still using it) has internal 32MB (good
for about 40-60 shots at HQ) built in but I've never used it as I more
or less permantly mounted a 512mb card in it. I've gotten 700 shots
at once and never ran out of memory yet. Dead battery's usually the
reason I stop taking pictures.