Rich

Hi,
We have a XP Pro computer attached to a SBS2003 server.
We are having a problem connecting using remote access.
The user is setup as an administrator on the local
computer and on the server. When we attempt to log on we
get the following message - "The local policy of this
computer does not allow you to log on interactively".
This computer was upgraded from 2000 Pro and it was
running PCAnyWhere.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Rich

Local Admin or Domain Admin?

Is your computer a domain member of the SBS2K3 Domain?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:39:26 -0700, "Rich"

>Hi,
>We have a XP Pro computer attached to a SBS2003 server.
>We are having a problem connecting using remote access.
>The user is setup as an administrator on the local
>computer and on the server. When we attempt to log on we
>get the following message - "The local policy of this
>computer does not allow you to log on interactively".
>This computer was upgraded from 2000 Pro and it was
>running PCAnyWhere.
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks
>Rich

If the XP Pro machine is joined to the SBS2003 server domain, check Active
Directory Users and Computers, Terminal Services profile tab, for the
checkbox "allow logon to terminal server."

"Rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> We have a XP Pro computer attached to a SBS2003 server.
> We are having a problem connecting using remote access.
> The user is setup as an administrator on the local
> computer and on the server. When we attempt to log on we
> get the following message - "The local policy of this
> computer does not allow you to log on interactively".
> This computer was upgraded from 2000 Pro and it was
> running PCAnyWhere.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks
> Rich

Rich

Hi Jeffrey,

Both - the user is defined as an Administrator on the
both the server and then was added to local machine as an
administrator.

Yes, the computer is a domain user.

thanks
Rich

benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not
>be answered depending on time availability....
>
>Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
>http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
>Windows XP Expert Zone -
>
>On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:39:26 -0700, "Rich"
>
>>Hi,
>>We have a XP Pro computer attached to a SBS2003 server.
>>We are having a problem connecting using remote access.
>>The user is setup as an administrator on the local
>>computer and on the server. When we attempt to log on
we
>>get the following message - "The local policy of this
>>computer does not allow you to log on interactively".
>>This computer was upgraded from 2000 Pro and it was
>>running PCAnyWhere.
>>Any suggestions?
>>Thanks
>>Rich
>
>.

Rich

Is this on the client or server?

Thanks
Rich

On the server.

> Is this on the client or server?
>
> Thanks
> Rich

Rich

Hi -
Thanks for your help. I checked and the box is checked on
the server. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Rich

Rich

Hi -

One more thing - I created a local user as an
administrator and attempted to log on with remote desktop
and had the same message. I think there is something on
the local machine rather than the server.

Rich

Rich

After my last post, I logged onto the client's machine
with PCAnyWhere and reviewed the local security
policies. Turns out there is a "User Rights Assignment"
parameter. Under that item you can actually list the
users who can log on through remote desktop. In this
case, there were none specified. I entered the user's id
and domain and tried it again. This time I was able to
log on. Just wanted to report back.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

That should have been populated from the server... (+ from the
standard Windows XP install)... It had nothing there?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:57:14 -0700, "Rich"

>After my last post, I logged onto the client's machine
>with PCAnyWhere and reviewed the local security
>policies. Turns out there is a "User Rights Assignment"
>parameter. Under that item you can actually list the
>users who can log on through remote desktop. In this
>case, there were none specified. I entered the user's id
>and domain and tried it again. This time I was able to
>log on. Just wanted to report back.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Rich

If I am remembering correctly, that's the key which is often (always?) set
that way on XP Pro upgrades from Windows 2000.

Does that fit this machine? I'm sorry that it didn't occur to me earlier.

> After my last post, I logged onto the client's machine
> with PCAnyWhere and reviewed the local security
> policies. Turns out there is a "User Rights Assignment"
> parameter. Under that item you can actually list the
> users who can log on through remote desktop. In this
> case, there were none specified. I entered the user's id
> and domain and tried it again. This time I was able to
> log on. Just wanted to report back.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Rich

Rich

I think Bill is right about that not being populated when
upgrading from 2000 to XP. There was absolutely empty.
Adding the users did resolve the problem.

Thanks again,
Rich