Watching cable t.v. remotely that is connected to my desktop

September 16, 2004 4:27:07 AM

I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
WIN-TV card.

I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
channels using a browser, my router, and web access.

I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
through :8080.

Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time for
a long post but:
1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and my rig
2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
-and if not
3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to buy
to get it done?
(Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
software to their pocket pc's)

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-174...

But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to a
port I can access remotely.

Thanks,
-Rob
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 10:43:01 AM

It is possible but not easy. I've owned ATI All-In-Wonder cards for years
now and I love them. The RAEDON All-In-Wonder's will do what you are
wanting. But you need to have an All-In-Wonder in both computers. The next
best thing I can think of is I use WebCamXP to broadcast my webcam over the
net. It will also broadcast basically any audio/video source (like my
All-In-Wonder TV source). Also, you could look into Windows Media Encoder.
But as far a changing the channel.......that's a little more tricky. You're
probably gonna have to buy some sort of IR transceiver and find some software
that will work with it. Hope this gives you some ideas.

-Beaver

"Rob" wrote:

> I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
> WIN-TV card.
>
> I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
> channels using a browser, my router, and web access.
>
> I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
> through :8080.
>
> Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time for
> a long post but:
> 1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and my rig
> 2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
> -and if not
> 3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to buy
> to get it done?
> (Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
> software to their pocket pc's)
>
> http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-174...
>
> But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to a
> port I can access remotely.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rob
Anonymous
September 16, 2004 7:56:21 PM

Won't work.... You will get video but your tv card has an external plug that
goes into your sound card's line in. You wont be able to get that remotely.

"Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
> WIN-TV card.
>
> I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
> channels using a browser, my router, and web access.
>
> I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
> through :8080.
>
> Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time
> for
> a long post but:
> 1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and my
> rig
> 2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
> -and if not
> 3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to
> buy
> to get it done?
> (Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
> software to their pocket pc's)
>
> http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-174...
>
> But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to a
> port I can access remotely.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rob
Related resources
September 17, 2004 7:13:03 PM

No, I don't use a t.v. card but a remote WinTV USB2.
Sound travels through USB not any external plug.

"Demus" wrote:

> Won't work.... You will get video but your tv card has an external plug that
> goes into your sound card's line in. You wont be able to get that remotely.
>
> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
> > WIN-TV card.
> >
> > I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
> > channels using a browser, my router, and web access.
> >
> > I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
> > through :8080.
> >
> > Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time
> > for
> > a long post but:
> > 1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and my
> > rig
> > 2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
> > -and if not
> > 3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to
> > buy
> > to get it done?
> > (Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
> > software to their pocket pc's)
> >
> > http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-174...
> >
> > But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to a
> > port I can access remotely.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Rob

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 2:28:46 AM

give it a try then.

> No, I don't use a t.v. card but a remote WinTV USB2.
> Sound travels through USB not any external plug.
>
> "Demus" wrote:
>
>> Won't work.... You will get video but your tv card has an external plug
>> that
>> goes into your sound card's line in. You wont be able to get that
>> remotely.
>>
>> "Rob" <Rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a static IP, WinXPPro, LinkSys G Router, Cable into my PC, and a
>> > WIN-TV card.
>> >
>> > I want to watch cable remotely (like I do from my desktop) and change
>> > channels using a browser, my router, and web access.
>> >
>> > I've never used remote desktop access, but do access my router remotely
>> > through :8080.
>> >
>> > Can you guys help me figure out how to do this? I know no one has time
>> > for
>> > a long post but:
>> > 1) Can it be done without buying additional software using XP Pro and
>> > my
>> > rig
>> > 2) Is there a link with instructions you can send me to.
>> > -and if not
>> > 3) How would I do it, what do I need, and what is the best software to
>> > buy
>> > to get it done?
>> > (Here is a link where I read guys were doing it with some third party
>> > software to their pocket pc's)
>> >
>> > http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-174...
>> >
>> > But I wanted to ask because surely there's just a way to push video to
>> > port I can access remotely.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Rob

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 1:34:26 AM

It "shouldn't" work... I don't believe that the Remote Desktop
Display Driver supports overlay mode, which the TV card uses for the
full motion video...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 00:27:07 -0700, Rob

!