how to make host standby?

I haven't seen anything about forcing the host computer
to standby.
I travel frequently and access my home computer
often...when done with each remote desktop session I
would like to force the host into standby mode to save on
energy and avoid excess heat generated.
In the remote dektop session, the only options are to
logoff or disconnect. I don't need to shutdown the host
computer, but I would like to put it in standby at will
rather than wait for the preset power settings to take
effect.
I have the host set to wake-on LAN, so that I can easily
access it at my next travel spot.
Any command line stuff or other way to enable standby?

Take a look at http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6400/rh6465.htm for
information on how to do standby mode remotely... However, I cannot
vouch that you will get the desired operation from your WOL...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 06:26:11 -0700, "hol"

>I haven't seen anything about forcing the host computer
>to standby.
>I travel frequently and access my home computer
>often...when done with each remote desktop session I
>would like to force the host into standby mode to save on
>energy and avoid excess heat generated.
>In the remote dektop session, the only options are to
>logoff or disconnect. I don't need to shutdown the host
>computer, but I would like to put it in standby at will
>rather than wait for the preset power settings to take
>effect.
>I have the host set to wake-on LAN, so that I can easily
>access it at my next travel spot.
>Any command line stuff or other way to enable standby?

interesting, unfortunately my host hibernates even though
the setting described should make it go into stanby.
Hopefully I'll find a different command line solution
that will force standby...

benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not