Is there a utility...

RTR

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001

that you can use to turn off and on several background programs at the same
time. I need to turn off a few utilities when I do a capture to free up more
CPU power. Going in and turning them off one at a time is a pain. Does
anyone know of a utility where I can list all of the stuff I want to turn
off, then do it with a single click when I want to do a capture?

rtr

"rtr" wrote ...
> that you can use to turn off and on several background programs
> at the same time. I need to turn off a few utilities when I do a
> capture to free up more CPU power. Going in and turning them
> off one at a time is a pain. Does anyone know of a utility where
> I can list all of the stuff I want to turn off, then do it with a single
> click when I want to do a capture?

Look up "EndItAll". A free utility from PC Magazine.
I use it frequently when recording audio on my notebook PC.

Ruben

On 14 Dec 2004, "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> posted to
rec.video.desktop as follows:

> "rtr" wrote ...
>> that you can use to turn off and on several background programs
>> at the same time. I need to turn off a few utilities when I do a
>> capture to free up more CPU power. Going in and turning them
>> off one at a time is a pain. Does anyone know of a utility where
>> I can list all of the stuff I want to turn off, then do it with a
>> single click when I want to do a capture?
>
> Look up "EndItAll". A free utility from PC Magazine.
> I use it frequently when recording audio on my notebook PC.

The new version is not free anymore, especially fron ZDNet, but you can
still download an older version here:

http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm

--
Ruben

RTR

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001

Ruben wrote:
> On 14 Dec 2004, "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> posted to
> rec.video.desktop as follows:
>
>> "rtr" wrote ...
>>> that you can use to turn off and on several background programs
>>> at the same time. I need to turn off a few utilities when I do a
>>> capture to free up more CPU power. Going in and turning them
>>> off one at a time is a pain. Does anyone know of a utility where
>>> I can list all of the stuff I want to turn off, then do it with a
>>> single click when I want to do a capture?
>>
>> Look up "EndItAll". A free utility from PC Magazine.
>> I use it frequently when recording audio on my notebook PC.
>>

> The new version is not free anymore, especially fron ZDNet, but you
> can still download an older version here:
>

> http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm

Outstanding!
Almost perfect. (Perfect would have a button to "Restore It All".

Thank you.
rtr

"rtr" <rreeds@(REMOVEME)san.rr.com> wrote in message
> Ruben wrote:
>> On 14 Dec 2004, "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> posted to
>> rec.video.desktop as follows:
>>
>>> "rtr" wrote ...
>>>
>>> Look up "EndItAll". A free utility from PC Magazine.
>>> I use it frequently when recording audio on my notebook PC.
>>>

>> The new version is not free anymore, especially fron ZDNet,

A Google search returned 6970 hits for enditall. Several on the
first page (top-10 hits) prominently mentioned "free".

>> but you can still download an older version here:
>>

>> http://www.compu-docs.com/links.htm
>
> Outstanding!
> Almost perfect. (Perfect would have a button to "Restore It All".

Rebooting is the only way of reliably and properly restarting all
those little background processes in the Byzantine world of MSwin.

Ruben

On 15 Dec 2004, "Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> posted to
rec.video.desktop as follows:

>>> The new version is not free anymore, especially fron ZDNet,
>
> A Google search returned 6970 hits for enditall.

What's your point?

> Several on the
> first page (top-10 hits) prominently mentioned "free".

If you had followed some of those links, you would have found that they
were either dead links or that the Enditall download file had been
removed from the page. Some of those pages did have the older version of
Enditall, but as I said, the new version is not free anymore, as reported
here (bottom of page):

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

--
Ruben

"Ruben" wrote
> If you had followed some of those links, you would have
> found that they were either dead links or that the Enditall
> download file had been removed from the page. Some of
> those pages did have the older version of Enditall, but as
> I said, the new version is not free anymore, as reported
> here (bottom of page):
>
> http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

OK. So how is the new (not-free) version better than the older,
free version? What am I missing? The old, free one seems to
be doing just fine for what I need.

TRENDING THREADS