Digital or SLR??

can anyone ell me what the difference is.

SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means

TIA
19 answers Last reply
More about digital

    guys
    just came in from fishing.....guess a northern bit my hook in half this
    morning....happened before
    now to answer ur question---CANON
    SLR----SINGLE LENS REFLEX--DIGITAL CAMERA
    EOS---CANON 35mm Series cameras
    Power Shot----digital
    sure shot----35mm
    Really got into digital when my daughter sent me fotos of a live volcano in
    Hawaii, my friend sent pics of deer in his backyard, and my son came home
    from Ireland and Europe and wouldnt let me normally hold all 35 rolls of
    pics....exactly....what is the sense of taking stuff when u get to picky
    about it.....
    digital is more flexable...can come in from out in the cold, take the flash
    card out and put it into the printer and presto u got ur pics, can now
    download them into ur cdrw, or make fast prints, or even a tee shirt.....
    canon sure shot 35 mm camera is a neat camera...got it for my wife...hard to
    download quality pics with it and send them over the internet....still use
    my polaroid for record keeping and the like....Canon SLR or EOS is for those
    who are into photography in a big way and dont mind paying $1000 to 1500 or
    more...
    Power Shot is an all around tool.250--400...Sony got a couple of smaller
    digital cameras i like but since i dont own one cant comment on
    them....Anyone who has Netscape has a great browser for receiving digital
    photos followed by microsoft, opera, adelphia, yahoo...and then the
    rest.....excite etc...
    hope this answers ur questions
    crusty old feller

    "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > can anyone ell me what the difference is.
    >
    > SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means
    >
    > TIA

    to clarify not what SLR stands for, but what SLR means in terms of the
    camera i.e. the differences over a normal digital camera

    TIA

    Mike wrote:
    > "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>can anyone ell me what the difference is.
    >>
    >>SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>

    > to clarify not what SLR stands for, but what SLR means in terms of the
    > camera i.e. the differences over a normal digital camera
    >
    > TIA

    The term SLR, when applied to a digicam, means that it is possible to switch lenses.

    SLR stands for "single lens reflex"
    This is an out of date technique of being able to look through the same lens
    as the picture will be taken from. This means there is a lens that has to
    slap out of the way when the picture is taken for the lens to be used for
    the shot. This isn't necessary for digital pictures. Digital cam users do
    not "close their eyes" when they take a picture like SLR users do.

    Much mechanical alignment technique is required by a skilled camera tech to
    align what you see is what you get and the alignment is critical with this
    mirror technique Most DigiCam users always look through the lens that will
    take the picture and see what they will actually shoot, with light
    compensation in place before the shot.

    Some day these SLR cameras will only be seen in museums and we will be
    bewildered by the ancient mechanical nightmare mechanism technology.

    "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > can anyone ell me what the difference is.
    >
    > SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means
    >
    > TIA

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    In article <117i9eesr0sp84d@corp.supernews.com>, physchem@cloud9.net says...

    >The term SLR, when applied to a digicam, means that it is possible to switch
    >lenses.

    True, but rangefinders could have, and have had interchangable lens too.

    The really big deal is that the SLR viewfinder views through the actual
    camera lens, instead of some little second window which sees something else
    from a different position. Then your SLR shows exactly the image that will
    be captured, regardless if you use a macro lens for extreme closeup, or
    extreme wideangle or telephoto lens.

    The rear LCD on a regular digital also shows the actual image too, but it is
    too small and poor quality to be able to focus or judge critically. The SLR
    viewfinder is bright and clear, designed to help focus.

    See http://www.answers.com/topic/single-lens-reflex-camera
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    In message <_ccee.244$fQ2.215@trnddc05>,
    Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

    >The rear LCD on a regular digital also shows the actual image too, but it is
    >too small and poor quality to be able to focus or judge critically. The SLR
    >viewfinder is bright and clear, designed to help focus.

    The SLR viewfinder is a little sharper than the LCD ones, but it by no
    means has all of the resolution that the film or sensor is seeing.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The SLR viewfinder is made of granular surface glass otherwise the light
    wouldn't be visable on it as a screen. There isn't more resulution really.

    My digital has a manual focus zoom that gives me pixel for pixel manual
    focusing while I am touching the focus switch. You won't get that in a
    chemical camera.

    35mm film may not last more than a few years and be extremelty expensive for
    the no name manufacturers to sell to you.

    Kodak predicted this back in about 1999

    <JPS@no.komm> wrote in message
    > In message <_ccee.244$fQ2.215@trnddc05>,
    > Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:
    >
    > >The rear LCD on a regular digital also shows the actual image too, but it
    is
    > >too small and poor quality to be able to focus or judge critically. The
    SLR
    > >viewfinder is bright and clear, designed to help focus.
    >
    > The SLR viewfinder is a little sharper than the LCD ones, but it by no
    > means has all of the resolution that the film or sensor is seeing.

    > John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
    > ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:55:50 +0100, "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >can anyone ell me what the difference is.
    >
    >SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means
    >
    >TIA

    Plus no preview of recorded Image, puts me right off.

    Yes read a review of the Canon 350D and you can't even use the Histogram
    when shooting or LCD screen.

    Are all SLR Digital cameras like this..?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 22:42:02 GMT, Wayne Fulton <nospam@invalid.com> wrote:

    >In article <117i9eesr0sp84d@corp.supernews.com>, physchem@cloud9.net says...
    >
    >>The term SLR, when applied to a digicam, means that it is possible to switch
    >>lenses.
    >
    >True, but rangefinders could have, and have had interchangable lens too.
    >
    >The really big deal is that the SLR viewfinder views through the actual
    >camera lens, instead of some little second window which sees something else
    >from a different position. Then your SLR shows exactly the image that will
    >be captured, regardless if you use a macro lens for extreme closeup, or
    >extreme wideangle or telephoto lens.
    >
    >The rear LCD on a regular digital also shows the actual image too, but it is
    >too small and poor quality to be able to focus or judge critically. The SLR
    >viewfinder is bright and clear, designed to help focus.
    >
    >See http://www.answers.com/topic/single-lens-reflex-camera

    So my Digital Viewfinder on my Sony F717 does not exist.

    Are you referring to None Digital SLR's.?

    as it seams that way..
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    On Wed, 4 May 2005 18:55:50 +0100, "Mike" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >can anyone ell me what the difference is.
    >
    >SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means
    >
    >TIA

    Are you referring to Digital SLR as that is what most replies seem to think.

    Digital SLR like the Nikon F70 or Canon 350D

    These are budget models..
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Mike wrote:
    > can anyone ell me what the difference is.
    >
    > SLR seems more expensive but im not sure what SLR means

    There are three important differences between digital SLRs and advanced
    compact digital cameras that look a lot like SLRs ... but only the first
    one is actually part of the SLR design.

    SLR stands for "single-lens reflex", and describes the type of
    viewfinder. An SLR uses a mirror directly in front of the shutter that
    bounces light to a prism which in turn directs it to the eyepiece where
    you see it. Since the mirror intercepts the light coming through the
    actual picture-taking lens, you see what the film or digital image
    sensor will see; when you press the shutter release the mirror flips out
    of the way just before the shutter opens, and the light coming through
    the lens passes through to the film or sensor. The eyepiece blacks out
    until the shutter closes and the mirror returns to its original
    position. Since an SLR's viewfinder is strictly optical, it doesn't
    drain batteries. But because you cannot see what the camera sees during
    exposure -- meaning you can't adjust focus, exposure or even aiming --
    no digital SLR includes a "movie" mode.

    Some advanced digital compacts use electronic viewfinders (EVFs) that
    essentially use a tiny LCD display in the eyepiece and show you exactly
    what the image sensor sees -- it's very SLR-like, since it also shows
    exactly what the picture-taking lens sees. The EVF may or may not black
    out during the time that the image sensor is recording the image into
    memory. Some cameras that use EVFs can send the sensor's image-data to
    the eyepiece and memory simultaneously in "movie" mode. But EVFs
    require power continuously when in use, not just when you're actually
    taking pictures. This may result in fewer shots per battery charge; you
    may need to carry a spare battery or two, although that's usually a good
    idea with any digital camera. (For obvious reasons, film cameras don't
    have EVFs.)

    Other compact cameras use a simple optical viewfinder that has its own
    tiny separate lens mounted near the picture-taking lens. While these
    viewfinders don't drain batteries, neither do they show exactly what the
    picture-taking lens "sees". Most of them work well enough for casual
    snapshooting, but they can't be as precise as a viewfinder that uses the
    actual picture-taking lens.

    The second big difference between digital SLRs and non-SLRs is that
    every digital SLR I've heard of uses interchangeable lenses while nearly
    all non-SLR digitals have permanently-attached lenses. If the lens that
    comes with your digital SLR can't quite get that particular wide-angle
    or telephoto shot you want, you can remove it from the camera body and
    replace it with one that's better suited to the task; you can't do that
    with a fixed lens, although some of the better digital compacts
    accommodate adapter lenses that help extend the fixed lens's
    capabilities a bit.

    The third important difference actually has more to do with the size and
    price of the camera than anything else -- and digital SLRs are generally
    both larger and more expensive than digital compacts. As a rule,
    digital SLRs use physically larger image sensors than compacts; the more
    expensive (and usually larger) SLRs usually have larger sensors than
    their less expensive kin. When everything else (including the number of
    pixels) is the same, a larger sensor means less digital noise in the
    captured image. This may not matter much if your primary interest is
    taking snapshots that won't be printed any larger than 4x6 or 5x7, but
    it's a very important consideration if you need high quality that lets
    you see fine detail or make large prints.

    No one camera has the perfect combination of features for every
    photographic situation, which is why there are so many different cameras
    to choose from. It's your job to decide just which features are most
    important to you, then find the camera or cameras that best fit your
    requirements.

    --
    Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
    Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

    One advantage of the true SLR film camera is that the viewfinder usually
    includes a focus aid that can be extremely effective when used with manual
    focus. The typical digital cameras LCD screen is not nearly as precise.

    "BucketButt" <bucketbutt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > expensive kin. When everything else (including the number of pixels) is
    > the same, a larger sensor means less digital noise in the captured image.
    > This may not matter much if your primary interest is taking snapshots that
    > won't be printed any larger than 4x6 or 5x7, but it's a very important
    > consideration if you need high quality that lets you see fine detail or
    > make large prints.
    >
    > No one camera has the perfect combination of features for every
    > photographic situation, which is why there are so many different cameras
    > to choose from. It's your job to decide just which features are most
    > important to you, then find the camera or cameras that best fit your
    > requirements.
    >
    > --
    > Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
    > Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    How would you know if your snadblasted glass screen has the same focus as
    your film does? This is totally reliant on how acurate and how recently your
    camera was set up. With an LCD screen the focus is exactly what you will get
    for an image.

    "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > the same, a larger sensor means less digital noise in the captured
    image.
    > > This may not matter much if your primary interest is taking snapshots
    that
    > > won't be printed any larger than 4x6 or 5x7, but it's a very important
    > > consideration if you need high quality that lets you see fine detail or
    > > make large prints.
    > >
    > > No one camera has the perfect combination of features for every
    > > photographic situation, which is why there are so many different cameras
    > > to choose from. It's your job to decide just which features are most
    > > important to you, then find the camera or cameras that best fit your
    > > requirements.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
    > > Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    The films distance from the lens and thickness of the film is fixed. The
    focus screen on an SLR usually includes a "bullseye" and a split image
    bubble. Both are more precise than the plain ground glass are. In addition,
    focusing is usually done with the lens wide open. The Digitals LCD focus
    arrangement on many of the camera is harder to use, at least in "normal"
    light levels. In low light leves, the LCD focus may be easier to use than
    the SLR glass screen.

    "John P Bengi" <JBengi(spam)@(spam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > the same, a larger sensor means less digital noise in the captured
    > image.
    >> > This may not matter much if your primary interest is taking snapshots
    > that
    >> > won't be printed any larger than 4x6 or 5x7, but it's a very important
    >> > consideration if you need high quality that lets you see fine detail or
    >> > make large prints.
    >> >
    >> > No one camera has the perfect combination of features for every
    >> > photographic situation, which is why there are so many different
    >> > cameras
    >> > to choose from. It's your job to decide just which features are most
    >> > important to you, then find the camera or cameras that best fit your
    >> > requirements.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Walter Luffman Medina, TN USA
    >> > Amateur curmudgeon, equal opportunity annoyer

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Why are the ground glass screens adjustable to make the focus correct then?

    If they weren't adjustable the focus on every camera would be way off. With
    digital you are looking at the film image.

    The resolution of that "ground glass" is less than the LCD image anyway.

    > The films distance from the lens and thickness of the film is fixed. The
    > focus screen on an SLR usually includes a "bullseye" and a split image
    > bubble. Both are more precise than the plain ground glass are. In
    addition,
    > focusing is usually done with the lens wide open. The Digitals LCD focus
    > arrangement on many of the camera is harder to use, at least in "normal"
    > light levels. In low light leves, the LCD focus may be easier to use than
    > the SLR glass screen.
    >
    > "John P Bengi" <JBengi(spam)@(spam)yahoo,com> wrote in message
    > > How would you know if your snadblasted glass screen has the same focus
    as
    > > your film does? This is totally reliant on how acurate and how recently
    > > your
    > > camera was set up. With an LCD screen the focus is exactly what you will
    > > get
    > > for an image.
    > >
    > > "Chuck" <cdkuder@nspmmsn.com> wrote in message
    > >> One advantage of the true SLR film camera is that the viewfinder
    usually
    > >> includes a focus aid that can be extremely effective when used with
    > >> manual
    > >> focus. The typical digital cameras LCD screen is not nearly as precise.
    > >>
    > >> "BucketButt" <bucketbutt@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > > viewfinder.
    Since
    > > an
    But
    > > you

    > > require
    > > need
    > > with
    > > EVFs.)

    > > every
    > > comes
    > > capabilities

    > > digital
    > > expensive
    > > image.
    > > that

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Walter has given a good summary of the differences between SLR and non-SLR
    digitals.

    I would add that digital SLR's are attractive to people who already have a
    large investment in Canon or Nikon compatible lenses and want to keep using
    them. For many people lenses represent an investment of several thousand
    dollars or more, and for them it is economically unwise, as well as
    understandably painful to walk away from that sort of legacy.

    Shutter lag is generally much slower for non-SLR digicams, mainly due to
    focus delays. Autofocus can be almost instantaneous with an SLR because the
    focus pathway uses specialized electronic optical sensors that are directly
    in the optical pathway. Non SLR digicams use the CCD image for focussing,
    and this is inherrently slower - still taking a second or so, for example,
    even on my relatively state of the art coolpix 8700.

    Personally, I've gone with non-SLR because my investment in lenses was very
    small, and I value the lower price, smaller size, and dustproof lens-CCD
    assembly of the non-SLR digicams. An EOS with zoom lens is larger and
    heavier than my old 6x6 twin lens reflex camera!.

    You'll probably be happy with whatever your choice is. There are several
    good web pages comparing camera models in great detail, with discussions of
    features and full-size downloadable images from each camera for comparison -
    one such is www.imaging-resource.com . In the end, the satisfaction lies in
    getting good results with whatever equipment you have. A few days ago I got
    a reasonably good picture, handheld in low light at 1/7 second exposure,
    with my coolpix's BSS feature, after a Canon EOS 20 owner refused to even
    take the picture because of the slow shutter speed - and his lens probably
    cost more than my camera :-)
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    I would also add that the shutter lag on a non-SLR can be minimized by
    either pre-focusing (pressing the shutter button halfway and holding
    it till your ready to shoot) or on many Digicams you have the optioon
    to Manual Focus.
    I use the second choice when I know I will need to get a quick picture
    such as at a parade or a sporting event.
    It is done by switching to manual focus, either choose your optimal
    distance to your subjects, and set it.

    When you take a picture this way, the camera does not have to focus,
    so it is quite a bit quicker.
    One thing to be aware of though is if you need to take a picture that
    is closer than the distance you set, your subject may be out of focus.

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 12:53:52 GMT, "Mike Russell"
    <REgeigyMOVE@pacbellTHIS.net> wrote:

    >Walter has given a good summary of the differences between SLR and non-SLR
    >digitals.
    >
    >I would add that digital SLR's are attractive to people who already have a
    >large investment in Canon or Nikon compatible lenses and want to keep using
    >them. For many people lenses represent an investment of several thousand
    >dollars or more, and for them it is economically unwise, as well as
    >understandably painful to walk away from that sort of legacy.
    >
    >Shutter lag is generally much slower for non-SLR digicams, mainly due to
    >focus delays. Autofocus can be almost instantaneous with an SLR because the
    >focus pathway uses specialized electronic optical sensors that are directly
    >in the optical pathway. Non SLR digicams use the CCD image for focussing,
    >and this is inherrently slower - still taking a second or so, for example,
    >even on my relatively state of the art coolpix 8700.
    >
    >Personally, I've gone with non-SLR because my investment in lenses was very
    >small, and I value the lower price, smaller size, and dustproof lens-CCD
    >assembly of the non-SLR digicams. An EOS with zoom lens is larger and
    >heavier than my old 6x6 twin lens reflex camera!.
    >
    >You'll probably be happy with whatever your choice is. There are several
    >good web pages comparing camera models in great detail, with discussions of
    >features and full-size downloadable images from each camera for comparison -
    >one such is www.imaging-resource.com . In the end, the satisfaction lies in
    >getting good results with whatever equipment you have. A few days ago I got
    >a reasonably good picture, handheld in low light at 1/7 second exposure,
    >with my coolpix's BSS feature, after a Canon EOS 20 owner refused to even
    >take the picture because of the slow shutter speed - and his lens probably
    >cost more than my camera :-)
  18. I would add that digital SLR's are attractive to people who already have a

    http://www.nikond60.com
    You'll probably be happy with whatever your choice is. There are several
    good web pages comparing camera models in great detail, with discussions of
    features and full-size downloadable images from each camera for comparison

Cameras SLR Peripherals