Video Capture Problem - Does not Make Sense

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 14, 2004 11:52:21 AM

Hi All,

First, let me say that I am a newbee, so this may be a dumb question.
I am having trouble capturing DV video through my ADS A/V Link
originating from VHS tape.

Here are my basic system specs:

Pent IV ~2.5 GHz 768 mb RAM
C Drive 30 Gb about 12 GB free
E Drive 80 GB about 40 Gb free

Software I've tried:

Premier Elements

Roxio CD/DVD 6 - regardless of what drive I try to capture with, the
capture stops after a few seconds with now message. Yet when I run its
test software, I get no dropped frames.

Moie Maker 2

I can capture good video over a sustend period, if I capture to C:
However, if I try to capure to E: (where I would like to) I get
dropped frames. Capturing the same source to C: drive works much
bettr. Except for the Roxio problem all of the above software seems to
have the same result.

I think I have checked/corrected all of the normal problems like
defragment the drives, stop other programs, etc.

Now for the strange thing. I downloaded a couple of free disk bench
mark programs and expected to see my E drive being slower for some
reason. One program should results of about 10 mb/sec for C: and 55
mb/sec for E:. Another came back with about 58 mb/sec for E: and about
55 mb/sec for C:

The numbers may not be right, but at least they appear to indicate
that E is every bit as fast as C.

So why can't I capture good video to E:? BTW some moinths ago I
captured direct from a digital camera and had the same basic
experience.

TIA
Don S.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:02:55 PM

I assume your by the drive letters you provided the CD drive is D: and the
E: drive was installed after the original system configuration - thus the
structure of drive letters. What is the internal configuration of these
drives? Is the E: drive the slave to the D: drive (CD) or the slave to the
C: drive? This could affect the capture if E: is slaved. If the drive is
slaved change it to master on the secondary IDE.

Another dumb thing I have noticed in Windows 2000 and XP is that if the
drive letter assignment for a CD is in between two hard drive letters the
drive above the CD malfunctions. This isn't always true, but on some systems
it does have an effect. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tool/Computer
Management/Drive Manager and change them so the CD is the last drive in the
chain.

The readings you are getting are burst rates and probably not sustained data
rates. Sustained data rate is what you want. There's a little module from
Canopus called RexTest which will test the drive for sustained rates.
Download it from my website at
http://digitalvideosolutions.com/download/rextest.exe Choose to save the
file and then run the test on your drives.

Another thing, if you are getting no message when the capture stops it makes
me wonder if your drive is formatted to FAT32. Check to make sure it is
formatted to NTSF. Do that in Disk Manager also. If it is FAT then use
normal format for NTSF and not quick format. The first time a drive is
formatted it is good to use the normal, after that quick is fine.

Next, try the following. If you already know this stuff at least someone who
may not will benefit.

Also, go to Device Manager and ensure "Use DMA if available" is enabled on
the IDE channel for that drive. Right click on My Computer and choose
Properties. Click the Hardware tab and choose the Device Manager button. In
the list right click on the Secondary IDE choose Properties. Use the
Advanced tab to find DMA. Hope all of this helps.
--
Larry Johnson
Digital Video Solutions

"Donald Stouder" <donstouder@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> First, let me say that I am a newbee, so this may be a dumb question.
> I am having trouble capturing DV video through my ADS A/V Link
> originating from VHS tape.
>
> Here are my basic system specs:
>
> Pent IV ~2.5 GHz 768 mb RAM
> C Drive 30 Gb about 12 GB free
> E Drive 80 GB about 40 Gb free
>
> Software I've tried:
>
> Premier Elements
>
> Roxio CD/DVD 6 - regardless of what drive I try to capture with, the
> capture stops after a few seconds with now message. Yet when I run its
> test software, I get no dropped frames.
>
> Moie Maker 2
>
> I can capture good video over a sustend period, if I capture to C:
> However, if I try to capure to E: (where I would like to) I get
> dropped frames. Capturing the same source to C: drive works much
> bettr. Except for the Roxio problem all of the above software seems to
> have the same result.
>
> I think I have checked/corrected all of the normal problems like
> defragment the drives, stop other programs, etc.
>
> Now for the strange thing. I downloaded a couple of free disk bench
> mark programs and expected to see my E drive being slower for some
> reason. One program should results of about 10 mb/sec for C: and 55
> mb/sec for E:. Another came back with about 58 mb/sec for E: and about
> 55 mb/sec for C:
>
> The numbers may not be right, but at least they appear to indicate
> that E is every bit as fast as C.
>
> So why can't I capture good video to E:? BTW some moinths ago I
> captured direct from a digital camera and had the same basic
> experience.
>
> TIA
> Don S.

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 10:43:08 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:55 GMT, "Digital Video Solutions"
<video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote:

>I assume your by the drive letters you provided the CD drive is D: and the
>E: drive was installed after the original system configuration - thus the
>structure of drive letters. What is the internal configuration of these
>drives? Is the E: drive the slave to the D: drive (CD) or the slave to the
>C: drive? This could affect the capture if E: is slaved. If the drive is
>slaved change it to master on the secondary IDE.

Your right, the second drive was added after the DVD-RW drive.
I am goingt to check today, to see how they are wired. That
may be a big part of my problem.
>Another dumb thing I have noticed in Windows 2000 and XP is that if the
>drive letter assignment for a CD is in between two hard drive letters the
>drive above the CD malfunctions. This isn't always true, but on some systems
>it does have an effect. --snip--
I wonder if doing that would mess up my Phtoshop Elements 3
database and destroy the links to my images? Hopefully
that is not my problem.

>The readings you are getting are burst rates and probably not sustained data
>rates. Sustained data rate is what you want. There's a little module from
>Canopus called RexTest which will test the drive for sustained rates.
>Download it from my website at
>http://digitalvideosolutions.com/download/rextest.exe Choose to save the
>file and then run the test on your drives.

I will download your program and give it a try. Thanks.

>Another thing, if you are getting no message when the capture stops it makes
>me wonder if your drive is formatted to FAT32. Check to make sure it is
>formatted to NTSF. Do that in Disk Manager also. If it is FAT then use
>normal format for NTSF and not quick format. The first time a drive is
>formatted it is good to use the normal, after that quick is fine.

Both hard drives are NTSF. I do I an Iomega USB 2 external
drive that is FAT32, however. I think it came formatted that
way. I will look into converting it to NTSF.
>Next, try the following. If you already know this stuff at least someone who
>may not will benefit.
>
>Also, go to Device Manager and ensure "Use DMA if available" is enabled on
>the IDE channel for that drive. Right click on My Computer and choose
>Properties. Click the Hardware tab and choose the Device Manager button. In
>the list right click on the Secondary IDE choose Properties. Use the
>Advanced tab to find DMA. Hope all of this helps.

I have checked things listed here. One new item I read about
is SP 2 impact. I do have that on my PC, having installed it
some months ago.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll keep you posted on my
progress, probably with more questions.

Don S.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:48:13 PM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:43:08 -0800, Donald Stouder
<donstouder@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:02:55 GMT, "Digital Video Solutions"
><video@digitalvideosolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Snip
>Thanks so much for the quick reply. I'll keep you posted on my
>progress, probably with more questions.
>
>Don S.

Well, I have not tried capturing video yet, but I did discover one big
thing. When I added my second drive, I followed the Maxstor
instructions put it as the cable second slave on my primary EIDE
channel, and my DVD burner as the master on the secondary channel. My
Dell manual also suggested this setup.

Today, I changed my secondary hard drive to the mater on the secondary
channel and the DVD burner as the slave on that channel. I had to use
the jumpers to make the selection, as the cable select did not appear
to work.

I downloaded restest.exe from your web site and got the following
readings:
C: 37 mb/sec read and 22 mb/sec write
E: 28 " " 26 " "
As I understand it these numbers are well above the minimum speed
required, as indicated in the graph rextest produced. In fact, my
FAT32 USB 2.0 measured well above also at 27/19. It came formatted
with FAT32. I need to consider reformatting it to NTFS.

Well, that is all I've down so far and will try some video captures
next. By the way, is SP2 a potential problem on my Win XP Home PC?

Again, thank for the help, Larry. I report back my video capture test
results.

Don S.
!