Remote desktop connection

I have a laptop (with a wireless card) and a desktop (wired), both are
connected to a linksys router, in turn connected to a cable modem.
Both desktop and laptop have Windows XP SP2 installed. I have enable Remote
desktop on both the laptop and the desktop.
I can connect to the desktop using the remote desktop connection without any
problems. (Also can ping the desktop from the laptop, obviously)
However, when I try connecting from the desktop to the laptop using the
remote desktop connection, I cannot connect (also when I try to ping the
laptop I get a timeout)
I don't have any VPN stuff or any other firewall related software other than
the Windows XP firewall.
Can anybody help me out. Thanks

Aravind Suri,

Can you confirm that on your laptop you have opened up TCP / 3389 for
incoming connections on the firewall. To do this you can either go to the
exceptions list on the firewall configuration and enable 'remote desktop
connection' or create a new port exception. Also you may want to go in to
the Advanced settings for the firewall and enable ICMP echo in order to be
able to ping your laptop from the desktop.

--
Bruce Cowper [MSFT]
Technet Canada

Please do not send an email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

"Aravind Suri" <Aravind Suri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a laptop (with a wireless card) and a desktop (wired), both are
> connected to a linksys router, in turn connected to a cable modem.
> Both desktop and laptop have Windows XP SP2 installed. I have enable
> Remote
> desktop on both the laptop and the desktop.
> I can connect to the desktop using the remote desktop connection without
> any
> problems. (Also can ping the desktop from the laptop, obviously)
> However, when I try connecting from the desktop to the laptop using the
> remote desktop connection, I cannot connect (also when I try to ping the
> laptop I get a timeout)
> I don't have any VPN stuff or any other firewall related software other
> than
> the Windows XP firewall.
> Can anybody help me out. Thanks

Bruce,

Both settings are fine i.e. TCP /3389 exception has been set as well as ICMP
echo also checked. However, I still cannot connect. Any suggestions. Thanks

Aravind

"Bruce Cowper [MSFT]" wrote:

> Aravind Suri,
>
> Can you confirm that on your laptop you have opened up TCP / 3389 for
> incoming connections on the firewall. To do this you can either go to the
> exceptions list on the firewall configuration and enable 'remote desktop
> connection' or create a new port exception. Also you may want to go in to
> the Advanced settings for the firewall and enable ICMP echo in order to be
> able to ping your laptop from the desktop.
>
> --
> Bruce Cowper [MSFT]
> Technet Canada
>
> Please do not send an email directly to this alias. This alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
>
> "Aravind Suri" <Aravind Suri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a laptop (with a wireless card) and a desktop (wired), both are
> > connected to a linksys router, in turn connected to a cable modem.
> > Both desktop and laptop have Windows XP SP2 installed. I have enable
> > Remote
> > desktop on both the laptop and the desktop.
> > I can connect to the desktop using the remote desktop connection without
> > any
> > problems. (Also can ping the desktop from the laptop, obviously)
> > However, when I try connecting from the desktop to the laptop using the
> > remote desktop connection, I cannot connect (also when I try to ping the
> > laptop I get a timeout)
> > I don't have any VPN stuff or any other firewall related software other
> > than
> > the Windows XP firewall.
> > Can anybody help me out. Thanks

Paul

Splendid

Aravind,

No ping, no connection. First you need to be able to ping
the laptop.

Did you try turning off the firewall? Do you use different
settings for the XP firewall for desktop and laptop?

Paul