Preventing computer name IP history storage

Lou

Is there an easy way to prevent the CLIENT XP RD
connection window from storing the host computer name/IP
address?
Using an XP computer at a friend's house (client), I
connected to my home (host) computer using RD. After
ending the session, the client RD connection window
stored the IP address of the host computer as well as my
windows user name.
Basically, all that was needed to logon to my host
computer was my windows logon password...the RD
connection supplied the IP address and port that I was
using, and apparently once connected to the host the
Windows logon already has my user name typed in.
This seems like a huge potential security risk, surely
there must be a way to prevent automatic storing of this
info!
I know the client RD stored computer info can be deleted
in the registry, but what about when you don't have admin
rights (corporate network, cafe, library, campus...)?

Lou

Somebody must know something!!

In message <362a01c49f62$715abd40$a301280a@phx.gbl>, "lou"

> Somebody must know something!!

Using a "strong" password will preclude anyone breaking into your PC...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

--
Posted with Ink Spot (for PocketPC) from DejaVu Software, Inc.
Usenet wherever you are - http://www.dejavusoftware.com/

Take a look at
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_21032481.html

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:37:43 -0700, "lou"

>Somebody must know something!!

Looks like I still need admin privileges to do this.
Looking for a solution that I can use when logged on as a
plain user in a corporate/commercial environment.

benefit
>of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may
not

"lou" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Don't you think it's a bit odd that if I use an internet
> cafe I leave my home IP address behind along with user
> name??

If you delete the Hidden file "default.rdp" from your "My Documents" folder,
then this will erase the default username pasted into the login box. It
will also erase the IP address box which asks which remote PC to log onto,
so the RDP client launches with the box looking blank to a casual observer
(but alas the MRU list is not blanked).

Open "Command Prompt" window:

cd "My Documents"
attrib -h default.rdp
del default.rdp

--
Robin Walker [MVP Networking]
rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Lou

Thanks Robin, at least I can eliminate some of the
personal info.
I can only hope that microsoft takes note of this and
updates remote desktop...how hard can it be to put in an
options tab or checkbox for "automatically save
connection settings" or something like that.

bb

Just wondering if a fix was ever released for this.
Thanks...