Will my system handle editing?

Hi. Newbie here. I just got a new system and wanted to get into some home
video editing. I'll be getting a mini dv camcorder in the next month or so
but wanted to know if you think this system will handle it:

Asus K8V-X
Athlon 64 2800+
ATI Radeon 9550
512 PC3200
20 Gig Maxtor & 80 SATA HD's
HP CD-RW
LG DVD

I know I'll have to get a firewire card and I'll mostly be transferring to
the computer, editing with MM2 and sending it back to a fresh DV tape to
then transfer to VHS. Any suggestions or recommendatios?
Thanks!

Atarileaf

rs

Just one. VHS!!?? After seeing a $40 DVD player at ShopCo yesterday I am
convinced that tape is dead. Get a DVD burner.

Your system will do just fine.

"atarileaf" <hickorysticks@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
> Hi. Newbie here. I just got a new system and wanted to get into some home
> video editing. I'll be getting a mini dv camcorder in the next month or so
> but wanted to know if you think this system will handle it:
>
> Asus K8V-X
> Athlon 64 2800+
> ATI Radeon 9550
> 512 PC3200
> 20 Gig Maxtor & 80 SATA HD's
> HP CD-RW
> LG DVD
>
> I know I'll have to get a firewire card and I'll mostly be transferring to
> the computer, editing with MM2 and sending it back to a fresh DV tape to
> then transfer to VHS. Any suggestions or recommendatios?
> Thanks!
>
> Atarileaf

Just one. VHS!!?? After seeing a $40 DVD player at ShopCo yesterday I am
convinced that tape is dead. Get a DVD burner.

Ha! Yes, I know. Most of my edited videos will be gifts to older relatives,
grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc, that haven't jumped into the 21st century
yet, hence the need to make VHS copies.

Thanks
Atarileaf.

atarileaf wrote:
> Hi. Newbie here. I just got a new system and wanted to get into some home
> video editing. I'll be getting a mini dv camcorder in the next month or so
> but wanted to know if you think this system will handle it:
>
> Asus K8V-X
> Athlon 64 2800+
> ATI Radeon 9550
> 512 PC3200
> 20 Gig Maxtor & 80 SATA HD's
> HP CD-RW
> LG DVD
>
> I know I'll have to get a firewire card and I'll mostly be transferring to
> the computer, editing with MM2 and sending it back to a fresh DV tape to
> then transfer to VHS. Any suggestions or recommendatios?

Your system looks fine. DVD burners have really dropped in price. That
would be another alternative.

yes, it should handle it. you might want to get a larger hard drive
eventually.