  • Pinnacle
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 15, 2004 11:40:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.authoring (More info?)

I'm getting ready to convert more very old VHS home movies to DVD. In the
past I have been using Pinnacle 9.3 to capture to .AVI and to use for
authoring. I also have been using Pinnacle to encode and burn the DVD (it's
using MPEG2).

I want the very best quality I can get. How does Pinnacle's encoder compare
to standalone enocoders like ProCoder or TMPGenc or CCE?

Also, what would be the process if I want to use Pinnacle to capture and
author but I want to use another encoder?

Thanks for any help.

More about : pinnacle standalone encoder

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 6:37:57 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.authoring (More info?)

This all depends on what capture device/ card you are planning on using,
anything less than the Pinnacle DV MovieBox or Canopus's AVDC would probably
result in lower quality DVD's than using a hardware DVD recorder, but all
this depends on the recorder and the settings used.

Pinnacles encoder/ and using Pinnacle to capture, again this depends on the
capture hardware. If it's Pinnacle's USB hardware then your stuck with
HAVING to use Pinnacle to capture, but you could either record to DV Avi (my
prefered choice) or another low loss Avi format, and stay away from other
high compression Avi sources, or Mpeg for capture, especially if your going
to encode later to DVD.

With the Canopus or the DV MovieBox I personally use a program called WinDV,
it's quick, simple, free and superb quality captures.

For encoding - Pinnacle is less feature laden than my prefered TmpGenc Plus,
but CCE would also rate highly, choose one.

> I'm getting ready to convert more very old VHS home movies to DVD. In the
> past I have been using Pinnacle 9.3 to capture to .AVI and to use for
> authoring. I also have been using Pinnacle to encode and burn the DVD
> (it's using MPEG2).
>
> I want the very best quality I can get. How does Pinnacle's encoder
> compare to standalone enocoders like ProCoder or TMPGenc or CCE?
>
> Also, what would be the process if I want to use Pinnacle to capture and
> author but I want to use another encoder?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:15:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.authoring (More info?)

If you want the best quality then Pinnacle is not the capture program to use -
while I really like Pinnacle, and use it for all my movie stuff, on a recent
test it's captures were not as good as other apps. - eg not as clear.

David

Highway66 wrote:

> Also, what would be the process if I want to use Pinnacle to capture and
> author but I want to use another encoder?
>
> Thanks for any help.
December 16, 2004 12:10:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.authoring (More info?)

Personally I'd say that the capture hardware has more impact on the capture
quality than the capture software, if it's operated properly. If you were to
use Pinnacle in Mpeg capture mode - yes the quality is degraded more than if
you were to capture in DV Mode.

> If you want the best quality then Pinnacle is not the capture program to
> use -
> while I really like Pinnacle, and use it for all my movie stuff, on a
> recent
> test it's captures were not as good as other apps. - eg not as clear.
>
> David
>
> Highway66 wrote:
>

>> Also, what would be the process if I want to use Pinnacle to capture and
>> author but I want to use another encoder?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:28:04 PM

Highway66 wrote:
> I want the very best quality I can get. How does Pinnacle's encoder compare
> to standalone enocoders like ProCoder or TMPGenc or CCE?

In the VCD days, I know that I got significantly worse results from
Pinnacle Studio compared to TMPGEnc:

http://dormcam.mine.nu:8080/s8vsvdub

Not sure if things have changed much since then.

--
-WD
!