seting up port fowarding

Avi

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

i recently purchased a microsoft router and connected it to my home
network, everything seems to be workin fine, however i would now like
to enable port-fowarding so that i can access my linux box outside of
my network via SSH. I know that the port for SSH is port 22. In the
"Application-Triggered Port Forwarding" section of the web-based
management tool, i have SSH as one of the fields with outbound and
inbound port set as 22. Also in the "Persistent Port Forwarding"
section i have a field for ssh setup with inbound port as 22, private
IP address set to: 192.168.2.2 (the computer that host the ssh
server(my linux box)) type TCP and private port set to 22 as well. Can
someone help me get this working...thanks in advance.

joker

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Well because application port forwarding is only to be used when you
send data on one port & get a response on a different port you shouldn't
even be using it for that application.

Second off I don't see how this could possibly be on topic for the
"microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely" newsgroup as this is a router
& Linux issue not a Windows XP issue of any sort.

So only use persistent port forwarding to the IP address of the linux
box that your are going to ssh into.

Also when you try to connect are you behind the router or connecting to
the Internet using something else?

What if the firmware version on your router?

Which Microsoft router are you using?

Avi wrote:

> i recently purchased a microsoft router and connected it to my home
> network, everything seems to be workin fine, however i would now like
> to enable port-fowarding so that i can access my linux box outside of
> my network via SSH. I know that the port for SSH is port 22. In the
> "Application-Triggered Port Forwarding" section of the web-based
> management tool, i have SSH as one of the fields with outbound and
> inbound port set as 22. Also in the "Persistent Port Forwarding"
> section i have a field for ssh setup with inbound port as 22, private
> IP address set to: 192.168.2.2 (the computer that host the ssh
> server(my linux box)) type TCP and private port set to 22 as well. Can
> someone help me get this working...thanks in advance.

Avi

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

sorry for posting into the wrong group. Here is my router's info.

Microsoft Wireless base station MN-500

Current Base Station Firmware Version
Version: V1.00.072
Date: 07-30-2002

joker <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message news:<u0UkOdSnEHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Well because application port forwarding is only to be used when you
> send data on one port & get a response on a different port you shouldn't
> even be using it for that application.
>
> Second off I don't see how this could possibly be on topic for the
> "microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely" newsgroup as this is a router
> & Linux issue not a Windows XP issue of any sort.
>
> So only use persistent port forwarding to the IP address of the linux
> box that your are going to ssh into.
>
> Also when you try to connect are you behind the router or connecting to
> the Internet using something else?
>
> What if the firmware version on your router?
>
> Which Microsoft router are you using?
>
> Avi wrote:
>
> > i recently purchased a microsoft router and connected it to my home
> > network, everything seems to be workin fine, however i would now like
> > to enable port-fowarding so that i can access my linux box outside of
> > my network via SSH. I know that the port for SSH is port 22. In the
> > "Application-Triggered Port Forwarding" section of the web-based
> > management tool, i have SSH as one of the fields with outbound and
> > inbound port set as 22. Also in the "Persistent Port Forwarding"
> > section i have a field for ssh setup with inbound port as 22, private
> > IP address set to: 192.168.2.2 (the computer that host the ssh
> > server(my linux box)) type TCP and private port set to 22 as well. Can
> > someone help me get this working...thanks in advance.

joker

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

You should update your firmware then. The latest version 1.11.017 Haas
loop back support which versions prior to 1.09.* didn't have.