""The local policy..."

September 19, 2004 3:54:08 PM

I get the error message described in this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289289

I tried to follow the steps suggested in the article, but
it seems that when going to the 'Remote' tab in System,
there is no 'Remote Desktop' options in XP Home, only
[according to my friend with Pro] XP Professional. So,
although this article states it applies to XP Home, it doesn't.

Any suggestions?

More about : local policy

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 7:15:23 PM

Peter Walker wrote:
> I get the error message described in this article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289289
>
> I tried to follow the steps suggested in the article, but
> it seems that when going to the 'Remote' tab in System,
> there is no 'Remote Desktop' options in XP Home, only
> [according to my friend with Pro] XP Professional.

Yep....

> So,
> although this article states it applies to XP Home, it doesn't.

Well - you could receive the message on the client, which could be running
XP Home, but I agree the article isn't very clear on this point. Only XP Pro
has Remote Desktop (hosting) capabilities....

> Any suggestions?
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 1:45:46 AM

"Peter Walker" <crayzeepete@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I get the error message described in this article:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289289
>
> I tried to follow the steps suggested in the article, but
> it seems that when going to the 'Remote' tab in System,
> there is no 'Remote Desktop' options in XP Home, only
> [according to my friend with Pro] XP Professional. So,
> although this article states it applies to XP Home, it doesn't.

The steps in the article have to be carried out on the PC that you are
attempting to connect to, not the one you are connecting from. XP Pro
supports incoming Remote Desktop connectings, XP Home does not. XP Home can
be a Remote Desktop client, so you see the error message on XP Home, but the
corrective measures have to be carried out on the other PC, running XP Pro.

--
Robin Walker
rdhw@cam.ac.uk