VPN Automation - PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a working VPN connection from an XP pro box to NT 4.0 server. I need
to find a way to automate this vpn connection and send files to the server on
a given time schedule. I know there HAS to be a way to do this. I have
searched everywhere and cannot find a working solution. Should I use a
script, vb prog, ect?

Any help would be VERY helpful and appreciated!!

In case anyone has this same promblem, I found this. I dug around until I
came up with the answer:

When you create a VPN entry, there is a .pbk file
created/modified but hard to find: c:\documents and
settings\all users\application
data\microsoft\network\connections\pbk\

Inside that *hidden* folder you'll find "rasphone.pbk".
Copy it to c:\winnt\system32\ras\

Now, you can use the rasdial command from the DOS prompt.
From the command line, type Rasdial "connection_name_here"
username_here password_here /domain:your_domain_here

I did use/type the above quotes too.

Now, use the "AT" command to schedule events, and PRESTO.
You can schedule a VPN connection from a remote site to
connect to your main site automatically according to a
schedule.

"IdaITman" wrote:

> I have a working VPN connection from an XP pro box to NT 4.0 server. I need
> to find a way to automate this vpn connection and send files to the server on
> a given time schedule. I know there HAS to be a way to do this. I have
> searched everywhere and cannot find a working solution. Should I use a
> script, vb prog, ect?
>
> Any help would be VERY helpful and appreciated!!

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I knew this was possible, but wasn't able to take the time to actually
double-check all the needed steps.

I wouldn't have expected it to be necessary to copy the .PBK file, and it
would be more desirable not to do that, because as it is changed, the
changes will happen to the original location. If I get time some evening,
I'll see if I can get the job done without that change.

"IdaITman" <IdaITman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In case anyone has this same promblem, I found this. I dug around until I
> came up with the answer:
>
> When you create a VPN entry, there is a .pbk file
> created/modified but hard to find: c:\documents and
> settings\all users\application
> data\microsoft\network\connections\pbk\
>
> Inside that *hidden* folder you'll find "rasphone.pbk".
> Copy it to c:\winnt\system32\ras\
>
> Now, you can use the rasdial command from the DOS prompt.
> From the command line, type Rasdial "connection_name_here"
> username_here password_here /domain:your_domain_here
>
> I did use/type the above quotes too.
>
> Now, use the "AT" command to schedule events, and PRESTO.
> You can schedule a VPN connection from a remote site to
> connect to your main site automatically according to a
> schedule.
>

> "IdaITman" wrote:
>
>> I have a working VPN connection from an XP pro box to NT 4.0 server. I
>> need
>> to find a way to automate this vpn connection and send files to the
>> server on
>> a given time schedule. I know there HAS to be a way to do this. I have
>> searched everywhere and cannot find a working solution. Should I use a
>> script, vb prog, ect?
>>
>> Any help would be VERY helpful and appreciated!!

On XP, I didn't have any trouble doing rasdial from \windows\system32--and
without moving the .pbk file.

Is your machine an upgrade from Windows 2000? Maybe there's some different
behavior there. I've got one or two of those I can test with.