Parapets I should have said "that I have a new Sony TRV/255E recorder and
wish to download to my computer running XP .

I'm having the computer fitted with an extra 40gig drive next week plus a
DVD writer. I just want to download to my computer then edit and bun to a
DVD.
Will The USB transfer be OK

"DAVE PRICE" wrote ...
> Parapets I should have said "that I have a new Sony TRV/255E
> recorder and wish to download to my computer running XP .
>
> I'm having the computer fitted with an extra 40gig drive next week
> plus a DVD writer. I just want to download to my computer then
> edit and bun to a DVD.
> Will The USB transfer be OK

Unlikely.

Data available online at several websites that sell this model
suggest that the USB is used only for still photos and low-quality
("webcam') video. If you want full-speed, full-resolution videeo,
you will almost certainly need to use the DV/iLink ("Firewire")
connection. This is the way 99.9% of all the camcorders on the
planet work.

"DAVE PRICE" <dave@djmp.co.uk> wrote in message
> Parapets I should have said "that I have a new Sony TRV/255E recorder and
> wish to download to my computer running XP .
>
> I'm having the computer fitted with an extra 40gig drive next week plus a
> DVD writer. I just want to download to my computer then edit and bun to
> DVD.
> Will The USB transfer be OK

It will be OK if you make sure that you have a USB2.0 adapter and the proper
OS support (ex. XP needs SP1). I use both DVD writers and hard drives on
USB 2.0 and it works fine.

"FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in message

> "DAVE PRICE" <dave@djmp.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Parapets I should have said "that I have a new Sony TRV/255E recorder and
>> wish to download to my computer running XP .
>>
>> I'm having the computer fitted with an extra 40gig drive next week plus a
>> DVD writer. I just want to download to my computer then edit and bun to
>> DVD.
>> Will The USB transfer be OK
>
> It will be OK if you make sure that you have a USB2.0 adapter and the
> proper
> OS support (ex. XP needs SP1). I use both DVD writers and hard drives on
> USB 2.0 and it works fine.

But note that Mr. FLY135 didn't mention using USB to connect to
any camcoders. online evidence would suggest that the USB
connection on the TRV255 is only used for still photo download
and for "webcam" low-res video.

> "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "DAVE PRICE" <dave@djmp.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Parapets I should have said "that I have a new Sony TRV/255E recorder
and
> >> wish to download to my computer running XP .
> >>
> >> I'm having the computer fitted with an extra 40gig drive next week plus
> >> DVD writer. I just want to download to my computer then edit and bun
> >> DVD.
> >> Will The USB transfer be OK
> >
> > It will be OK if you make sure that you have a USB2.0 adapter and the
> > proper
> > OS support (ex. XP needs SP1). I use both DVD writers and hard drives
on
> > USB 2.0 and it works fine.
>
> But note that Mr. FLY135 didn't mention using USB to connect to
> any camcoders. online evidence would suggest that the USB
> connection on the TRV255 is only used for still photo download
> and for "webcam" low-res video.

Yes, I didn't mean to imply that he could use USB for a camcorder. I didn't
look closely enough at his post.

Thanks that's sorted me out

Thanks again

DAVE

DAVE PRICE wrote:

> Parapets I should have said "that I have a new Sony TRV/255E
> recorder and wish to download to my computer running XP .
>
> I'm having the computer fitted with an extra 40gig drive next
> week plus a DVD writer. I just want to download to my computer
> then edit and bun to a DVD. Will The USB transfer be OK

See the following discussion thread (all three messages):

<http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7594-0.html?forumID=59&threadID=49641>

Sounds fishy to me. If I were you, I would just rather buy a ~20 ¤
Firewire card (and a cable) since that's at least guaranteed to work
fine in all major NLE apps.

Then again, you have nothing to lose by trying out the USB option first.
If it suits your purposes, then just keep using it.

They do advertise TRV255E as having some bundled software for creating
VCDs (see <http://audiovisual.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ps_9163562/123501.html>),
but there is no detailed information available about whether you can
stream movies in full quality over USB, or only in VCD quality, which is
worse. Unfortunately, Sony does not seem to have any useful
documentation available for download, either.

If you decide to try the USB option, it would be interesting to hear
some report of how it all worked out, and what kind of video you could
capture with it (and in which format).

--
znark