Help with Setting Up Wireless Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 22, 2004 7:41:10 PM

I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install a
router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall. Which
one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the router's
frewall make using norton moot?

How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks

Victor
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 12:57:17 PM

Hi
You may have problems in using Norton Firewall with your router, it was
necessary for me to totally remove my Norton firewall from the system (not
just disable) before I could access ADSL service. I now use Zone LAbs with
no problems. //

"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
>I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install a
> router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall.
> Which
> one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the router's
> frewall make using norton moot?
>
> How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
> desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks
>
> Victor
October 23, 2004 4:36:21 PM

The firewall on the router is a hardware firewall which is stronger, but
running Norton's is a good 2nd to keep running. Two are better then one in
most cases. Turn off the Windows firewall, they tend to mess up everything
especially XP service pack 2. You may have to temporarily disable the
Norton firewall if you are trying to access other computers in your home
network, then re enable it after you have gained access.
"Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install a
> router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall.
> Which
> one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the router's
> frewall make using norton moot?
>
> How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
> desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks
>
> Victor
Anonymous
November 3, 2004 5:09:35 PM

You can use either the firewall on XP or Norton combined with the firewall
on your router.
WPA is not related to these firewalls, together with 802.1x and upper layer
authentication(for example, TLS),
they provides access control, authentication and encryption for your
wireless network only. it can be considered as a subset of IEEE 802.11i.
For home network, usually you can use wpa-psk (pre shared key), in which you
configure the "shared secret" on your access point and
and your client. Basically wpa is concerned about key generation. The upper
layer authenticate generates PMK (master key), or if wpa-psk is used,
psk can be used as pmk. Then WPA generates PTK(pairwise transient key) and
group key for message encryption.

Yi

!