Help with Setting Up Wireless Network

I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install a
router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall. Which
one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the router's
frewall make using norton moot?

How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks

Victor
3 answers Last reply
More about help setting wireless network

    Hi
    You may have problems in using Norton Firewall with your router, it was
    necessary for me to totally remove my Norton firewall from the system (not
    just disable) before I could access ADSL service. I now use Zone LAbs with
    no problems. //

    "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install a
    > router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall.
    > Which
    > one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the router's
    > frewall make using norton moot?
    >
    > How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
    > desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks
    >
    > Victor

    The firewall on the router is a hardware firewall which is stronger, but
    running Norton's is a good 2nd to keep running. Two are better then one in
    most cases. Turn off the Windows firewall, they tend to mess up everything
    especially XP service pack 2. You may have to temporarily disable the
    Norton firewall if you are trying to access other computers in your home
    network, then re enable it after you have gained access.
    "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install a
    > router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall.
    > Which
    > one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the router's
    > frewall make using norton moot?
    >
    > How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
    > desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks
    >
    > Victor

    You can use either the firewall on XP or Norton combined with the firewall
    on your router.
    WPA is not related to these firewalls, together with 802.1x and upper layer
    authentication(for example, TLS),
    they provides access control, authentication and encryption for your
    wireless network only. it can be considered as a subset of IEEE 802.11i.
    For home network, usually you can use wpa-psk (pre shared key), in which you
    configure the "shared secret" on your access point and
    and your client. Basically wpa is concerned about key generation. The upper
    layer authenticate generates PMK (master key), or if wpa-psk is used,
    psk can be used as pmk. Then WPA generates PTK(pairwise transient key) and
    group key for message encryption.

    Yi

    "Jim" <jcmios@n-connect.net> wrote in message
    > The firewall on the router is a hardware firewall which is stronger, but
    > running Norton's is a good 2nd to keep running. Two are better then one
    > in most cases. Turn off the Windows firewall, they tend to mess up
    > everything especially XP service pack 2. You may have to temporarily
    > disable the Norton firewall if you are trying to access other computers in
    > your home network, then re enable it after you have gained access.
    > "Victor" <Victor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I am confused about firewalls. I have Norton, then I am about to install
    >> router which has its own firewall, then windows has its own firewall.
    >> Which
    >> one do i enable? Both Norton and the router's? Does enabling the
    >> router's
    >> frewall make using norton moot?
    >>
    >> How does WPA fit into all this ...I have the Buffalo airstation with one
    >> desktop(xp pro) and one laptop (xp pro) Thanks
    >>
    >> Victor

Routers Firewalls Norton Wireless Networking