Large file size for QT video?

Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
Thanks from a video newbie
4 answers Last reply
More about large file size video

    You need to dig into that more because QTpro should give you options to
    compress that file. The Sorenson Codec is a decent one and if you make it
    smaller, lower bitrate ect, you should be able to create a QT file that is
    about the same as your MPG file.

    However, I might suggest an easier route. I have a hard time believeing it
    is not easy to get a player for a mac that will play mpg files. The format
    is just too common.

    <google@prime-vision.com> wrote in message
    > Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
    > Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
    > to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
    > I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
    > Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
    > which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
    > file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
    > there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
    > Thanks from a video newbie

    google@prime-vision.com wrote:

    > Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
    > Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
    > to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
    > I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
    > Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
    > which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
    > file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
    > there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
    > Thanks from a video newbie

    First off. .mpg is one of the standards that everything works with it.
    If you can't open it, your doing something wrong here or Ulead made some
    kind of corrupted file. You can try just skipping trying to open it,
    and give it too her burned on a CD. Let her open it with her quicktime.

    -Bill

    "Kill Bill" <billcentery@NOSPAM88.com> wrote in message
    > google@prime-vision.com wrote:
    >
    >> Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
    >> Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
    >> to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
    >> I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
    >> Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
    >> which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
    >> file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
    >> there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
    >> Thanks from a video newbie
    >
    > First off. .mpg is one of the standards that everything works with it. If
    > you can't open it, your doing something wrong here or Ulead made some kind
    > of corrupted file. You can try just skipping trying to open it, and give
    > it too her burned on a CD. Let her open it with her quicktime.
    >
    > -Bill

    Hey! What the hell!....

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:42:57 GMT, Kill Bill <billcentery@NOSPAM88.com>
    wrote:

    >google@prime-vision.com wrote:
    >
    >> Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
    >> Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
    >> to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
    >> I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
    >> Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
    >> which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
    >> file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
    >> there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
    >> Thanks from a video newbie
    >
    >First off. .mpg is one of the standards that everything works with it.
    >If you can't open it, your doing something wrong here or Ulead made some
    >kind of corrupted file. You can try just skipping trying to open it,
    >and give it too her burned on a CD. Let her open it with her quicktime.

    It's all so obvious, I'm beginning to think he made it into DVD or
    something, and cannot just do a DVD copy, because there's no DVD drive
    on her MAC.

    Well, then, if there's no .mpg but a .vob instead, easiest procedure
    is to import the DVD with Tmpgenc DVDAuthor, asking it to save as .mpg
    in the harddrive, or open the .vob in mpeg-vcr, then just save it,
    which shall make a copy as .mpg. Then, burn the .mpg into a CD.

    Perhaps just renaming the .vob as .mpg shall do for what's is
    intended.

Tuner Cards File Size Video Macintosh Graphics