Large file size for QT video?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2004 11:19:31 AM

Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
Thanks from a video newbie

More about : large file size video

December 17, 2004 7:25:47 PM

You need to dig into that more because QTpro should give you options to
compress that file. The Sorenson Codec is a decent one and if you make it
smaller, lower bitrate ect, you should be able to create a QT file that is
about the same as your MPG file.

However, I might suggest an easier route. I have a hard time believeing it
is not easy to get a player for a mac that will play mpg files. The format
is just too common.

<google@prime-vision.com> wrote in message
> Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
> Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
> to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
> I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
> Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
> which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
> file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
> there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
> Thanks from a video newbie

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 10:42:57 PM

google@prime-vision.com wrote:

> Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
> Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
> to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
> I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
> Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
> which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
> file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
> there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
> Thanks from a video newbie

First off. .mpg is one of the standards that everything works with it.
If you can't open it, your doing something wrong here or Ulead made some
kind of corrupted file. You can try just skipping trying to open it,
and give it too her burned on a CD. Let her open it with her quicktime.

-Bill
December 18, 2004 11:17:40 PM

"Kill Bill" <billcentery@NOSPAM88.com> wrote in message
> google@prime-vision.com wrote:
>
>> Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
>> Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
>> to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
>> I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
>> Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
>> which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
>> file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
>> there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
>> Thanks from a video newbie
>
> First off. .mpg is one of the standards that everything works with it. If
> you can't open it, your doing something wrong here or Ulead made some kind
> of corrupted file. You can try just skipping trying to open it, and give
> it too her burned on a CD. Let her open it with her quicktime.
>
> -Bill

Hey! What the hell!....
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 5:27:51 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:42:57 GMT, Kill Bill <billcentery@NOSPAM88.com>
wrote:

>google@prime-vision.com wrote:
>
>> Two years ago I took some Yellowstone vacation video, edited it with
>> Ulead, saved as .mpg an 11 minute video, about 370 meg. Now I'd like
>> to put it on a CD to send to my mother, who has a MAC. (No DVD player.)
>> I assume I'll need QuickTime. Tried QT Pro - couldn't open my file.
>> Eventually went to VirtualDubMod, which converted it to a 19 GB .AVI
>> which QT Pro can read. QT Pro tells me that the "stand alone" .MOV
>> file of my video will also be 19 GB. For an 11 minute home movie? Is
>> there any way I can get this thing onto a MAC-readable CD-ROM?
>> Thanks from a video newbie
>
>First off. .mpg is one of the standards that everything works with it.
>If you can't open it, your doing something wrong here or Ulead made some
>kind of corrupted file. You can try just skipping trying to open it,
>and give it too her burned on a CD. Let her open it with her quicktime.

It's all so obvious, I'm beginning to think he made it into DVD or
something, and cannot just do a DVD copy, because there's no DVD drive
on her MAC.

Well, then, if there's no .mpg but a .vob instead, easiest procedure
is to import the DVD with Tmpgenc DVDAuthor, asking it to save as .mpg
in the harddrive, or open the .vob in mpeg-vcr, then just save it,
which shall make a copy as .mpg. Then, burn the .mpg into a CD.

Perhaps just renaming the .vob as .mpg shall do for what's is
intended.
!