Start notepad from Linux script

September 21, 2004 9:29:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

Hi all,

I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
Windows box.

Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?

Thx

YuriW
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:23:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
<yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
>Windows box.

Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

>Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?

I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.

Jeff
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:55:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
system.

"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
> <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
> >Windows box.
>
> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
>
> >Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
>
> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>
> Jeff
September 22, 2004 1:55:01 AM

Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) wrote:

> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on
> Linux system.

If you got Cygwin (see http://cygwin.com) then you could set up rsh. I
think there's also an rsh from Microsoft. If that were so then it'd be
"rsh <windowsbox> notepad".
--
I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons
and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?

Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) schrieb:

> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
> system.
>
> "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
>><yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
>>>Windows box.
>>
>>Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
>>

>>>Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
>>
>>I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
>>WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
>>asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>>
>>Jeff

Maybe RMI can help you?
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:07:09 AM

Peter Neumaier schrieb:

> Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) schrieb:
>
>> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
>> system.
>>
>> "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message

>>> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

>>> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
>>> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
>>> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>

> Maybe RMI can help you?

Java Remote Method Invocation (Java RMI) -->
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/rmi/
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:53:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:55:00 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
<yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
>system.

Then definitely not using VBScript or WSH, which won't run on Linux.

Jeff

>"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
>> <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
>> >Windows box.
>>
>> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
>>
>> >Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
>>
>> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
>> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
>> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>>
>> Jeff

September 23, 2004 7:22:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

Your are posting to too may groups at the same time.

Please do not treat this group ass.

!