Start notepad from Linux script

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

Hi all,

I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
Windows box.

Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?

Thx

YuriW

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
<yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
>Windows box.

Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

>Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?

I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.

Jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
system.

Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) wrote:

> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on
> Linux system.

If you got Cygwin (see http://cygwin.com) then you could set up rsh. I
think there's also an rsh from Microsoft. If that were so then it'd be
"rsh <windowsbox> notepad".
--
I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons
and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?

Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) schrieb:

> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
> system.
>
> "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
>><yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
>>>Windows box.
>>
>>Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
>>

>>>Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
>>
>>I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
>>WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
>>asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>>
>>Jeff

Maybe RMI can help you?

Peter Neumaier schrieb:

> Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) schrieb:
>
>> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
>> system.
>>
>> "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message

>>> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

>>> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
>>> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
>>> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>

> Maybe RMI can help you?

Java Remote Method Invocation (Java RMI) -->
http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/rmi/

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:55:00 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
<yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
>system.

Then definitely not using VBScript or WSH, which won't run on Linux.

Jeff

>"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
>> <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
>> >Windows box.
>>
>> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
>>
>> >Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
>>
>> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
>> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
>> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
>>
>> Jeff

Name

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

Your are posting to too may groups at the same time.

Please do not treat this group ass.