Start notepad from Linux script

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

Hi all,

I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
Windows box.

Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?

Thx

YuriW
7 answers Last reply
More about start notepad linux script
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
    <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
    >Windows box.

    Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

    >Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?

    I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
    WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
    asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.

    Jeff
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

    No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
    system.

    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
    > <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
    > >Windows box.
    >
    > Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
    >
    > >Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
    >
    > I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
    > WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
    > asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
    >
    > Jeff
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

    Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) wrote:

    > No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on
    > Linux system.

    If you got Cygwin (see http://cygwin.com) then you could set up rsh. I
    think there's also an rsh from Microsoft. If that were so then it'd be
    "rsh <windowsbox> notepad".
    --
    I thought about how mothers feed their babies with tiny little spoons
    and forks so I wondered, what do Chinese mothers use? Toothpicks?

    Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) schrieb:

    > No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
    > system.
    >
    > "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
    >><yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
    >>>Windows box.
    >>
    >>Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
    >>

    >>>Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
    >>
    >>I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
    >>WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
    >>asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
    >>
    >>Jeff

    Maybe RMI can help you?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

    Peter Neumaier schrieb:

    > Yuri Weinstein (HotMail) schrieb:
    >
    >> No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
    >> system.
    >>
    >> "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message

    >>> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

    >>> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
    >>> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
    >>> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
    >>>
    >>> Jeff
    >>

    > Maybe RMI can help you?

    Java Remote Method Invocation (Java RMI) -->
    http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/rmi/
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

    On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:55:00 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
    <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
    >system.

    Then definitely not using VBScript or WSH, which won't run on Linux.

    Jeff

    >"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:25 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
    >> <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I need to start a program, say 'notepad' on a remote Linux system on a
    >> >Windows box.
    >>
    >> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.
    >>
    >> >Can this be done with minimum extra software installed on a Windows box?
    >>
    >> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
    >> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
    >> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
    >>
    >> Jeff

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript,microsoft.public.scripting.wsh,microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.apps (More info?)

    Your are posting to too may groups at the same time.

    Please do not treat this group ass.

    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:55:00 GMT, "Yuri Weinstein \(HotMail\)"
    > <yuriw_NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >No - start notepad on a remote Windows box from a script running on Linux
    > >system.
    >
    > Then definitely not using VBScript or WSH, which won't run on Linux.
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > >"Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message

    > >> Notepad on Linux on Windows? Good luck there.

    > >> I doubt you could start anything on a Linux system using VBScript or
    > >> WSH, but Perl or any of the Linux scripting languages may work. Try
    > >> asking in groups related to those scripting technologies.
    > >>
    > >> Jeff

Notepad Microsoft Linux Windows XP