Please help with Wireless Ad Hoc Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
October 22, 2004 7:53:02 PM

Hello,

I have a laptop with 802.11g wireless capabilities and a PC witch can do
both "b" and "g".

The PC is connected to the internet via a USB modem on broadband (256K
broadband). I have tried making a wireless ad hoc network between the two
because I want to use the internet from on the laptop as well as the PC.

I have followed each step from the following web site exactly:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/exp...

The laptop and the PC are now connected through wireless although I cant
share the internet. It is still only available on the PC. I have clicked on
"share the interent" option on the PC and it still doesnt work (I dont get
that Internet Gateway option on the laptop)

I have been trying various different combinations of thee settings with no
luck. I have Nortan Firewall 2004 and System Pack 2 on both computers and
both are updated. I have disabled the WIndows Security Centers firewall and
use Nortons on both. I have added the networks on Norton Firewall for both
computers.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone help with this

More about : wireless hoc network

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 11:22:20 AM

I wrote that several years ago, way before SP2. A couple of things to
try:

1. In the task pane for My Network places, click Show icons for
networked UPnP devices.

2. can you disable Norton while you set this up - Norton may have an
option to allow traffic and sharing on the local subnet only, but I
don't use Norton so can't assist.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I cant see the Network Panel when I go to My Network places. Hod do I see it
again?
Related resources
October 23, 2004 1:15:02 PM

I clicked on Show Upnp icon on the host computer. It installed domething
then nothing happened. The only Icon I see is a Shard Docs icon.

I cant see the Show Upnp icon on my laptop, that panel is not there. How do
I get it on?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
October 23, 2004 7:16:02 PM

Start, run
ncpa.cpl [enter]

then click My Network Places

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 09:15:02 -0700, "Rash"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist