trying to make a simple DVD

I've been trying to use Ulead DVD software to make a DVD and
it just gets worse and worse. I have captured video in .avi
format that I captured with VirtualDub. I have Ulead Movie
Factory. I open the program and choose "Capture Video".
From there I load one of my video .avi files. I switch over
to the "Export" tab and select "Create DVD Title". The
program tells me I need to convert the format of the file to
DVD format and gives me the option of choosing high or low
quality. I choose high quality and convert the file. I
then hit the "Create DVD Title" again and get the error
message, "Please convert it(them) to the standard PAL DVD
file(s) in Edit step in advance". There is no such option
on the edit page. I'm left with a converted set of .mpg and
..upd files which the program will not put on a DVD.

I also have tried the "Author Menus" section of the program.
I select "New Project" and "DVD" in the first screen and hit
next. I click the "Add MPEG File" button and select the mpg
file created in the "Capture Video" section. It will not
load that file or any other file the best I can tell. I've
tried several different format files in this area and none
of them will load.

This is about the 15th stupid problem this Ulead program has
come up with. Apparently it doesn't do much of anything at
all. Does anyone get this to work?

I have a Pioneer DVD burner and a capture card but so far I
haven't been able to burn any movies with this stuff because
the Ulead software I have won't work.

Can anyone explain why this won't work or tell me how to
make it work?
4 answers Last reply
More about trying make simple

    Hello King,
    "King Ghidora" <KingGhidora@PlanetX.com> wrote in message
    > I've been trying to use Ulead DVD software to make a DVD and
    > it just gets worse and worse. I have captured video in .avi
    > format that I captured with VirtualDub. I have Ulead Movie

    Do you play back the AVI before going on to using Ulead?
    Make sure that the AVI audio is acceptable before the next step.

    Using VirtualDub, you need to remember that audio must be
    captured via the soundcard. IOW, your audio RCA's must be
    connected to the soundcard, not only your capture card. I bumped
    into this gotcha too, thinking that my firewire connection was enough
    to capture audio.

    Once you capture the video/audio, play it back in Windows Media
    Player or VD itself to make sure that audio is OK.

    hth,
    tlviewer

    :
    :Do you play back the AVI before going on to using Ulead?
    :Make sure that the AVI audio is acceptable before the next step.
    :
    :Using VirtualDub, you need to remember that audio must be
    :captured via the soundcard. IOW, your audio RCA's must be
    :connected to the soundcard, not only your capture card. I bumped
    :into this gotcha too, thinking that my firewire connection was enough
    :to capture audio.
    :
    :Once you capture the video/audio, play it back in Windows Media
    :Player or VD itself to make sure that audio is OK.
    :
    :hth,
    :tlviewer
    :
    The sound plays fine in every step right up until I create
    an .iso. I check it ini the add video window then I check
    it again in the preview window. It always works fine.

    My capture card doesn't have audio inputs. Just video. My
    ..avi files all have audio. I convert to .mpg and .upd files
    and the audio is fine. I convert to .m2p format and the
    audio works. I also tried .m2v and .wav files and the audio
    worked there too. The only time it doesn't work is in the
    ..iso. I load the .iso up with Nero's Imagedrive program. I
    then attempt to play the files in the .iso. I've used
    different programs (Media Player and Media Player classic
    for example) to play the stuff on the virtual drive. I
    always get video. I never get audio.

    King Ghidora <KingGhidora@PlanetX.com> wrote:

    >I've been trying to use Ulead DVD software to make a DVD and
    >it just gets worse and worse. I have captured video in .avi
    >format that I captured with VirtualDub. I have Ulead Movie
    >Factory. I open the program and choose "Capture Video".
    >From there I load one of my video .avi files. I switch over
    >to the "Export" tab and select "Create DVD Title". The
    >program tells me I need to convert the format of the file to
    >DVD format and gives me the option of choosing high or low
    >quality. I choose high quality and convert the file. I
    >then hit the "Create DVD Title" again and get the error
    >message, "Please convert it(them) to the standard PAL DVD
    >file(s) in Edit step in advance". There is no such option
    >on the edit page. I'm left with a converted set of .mpg and
    >.upd files which the program will not put on a DVD.
    >
    >I also have tried the "Author Menus" section of the program.
    >I select "New Project" and "DVD" in the first screen and hit
    >next. I click the "Add MPEG File" button and select the mpg
    >file created in the "Capture Video" section. It will not
    >load that file or any other file the best I can tell. I've
    >tried several different format files in this area and none
    >of them will load.
    >
    >This is about the 15th stupid problem this Ulead program has
    >come up with. Apparently it doesn't do much of anything at
    >all. Does anyone get this to work?
    >
    >I have a Pioneer DVD burner and a capture card but so far I
    >haven't been able to burn any movies with this stuff because
    >the Ulead software I have won't work.
    >
    >Can anyone explain why this won't work or tell me how to
    >make it work?

    Uleads DVD movie factory is a good product.
    You'll find useful tutors on how to use DVD movie factory at this site
    address http://www.ulead.com/learning/dmf.htm

    Regards Brian

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:03:47 -0600, "Ken Maltby"
    <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    > I personally, capture in DVD compliant MPEG to start
    >with and use a "smart" MPEG Editor like VideoReDo to
    >do frame accurate edits. This gives me .mpg files that are
    >quickly Authored with TMPGEnc DVD Author (TDA).

    TDA is what one would call an "elegant" program -no need to ever read
    a manual to use it.

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics